Re: [CF] The SF Bay Bridge

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2009
      > But what I keep coming back to is our paltry 18.4 cents
      > per gallon federal gasoline tax. Granted California taxes
      > gasoline more than most other states, but it's still not
      > enough to fund new highway and bridge construction and
      > maintenance. That comes from the general fund.

      =v= It's even worse than that. California's gas tax is as
      high as the federal tax, PLUS tons of money from the general
      funds, PLUS the largest public works bond in U.S. history,
      saddling the state with bond debt for 30 years. And even
      all that isn't enough to keep the highways maintained.

      =v= The region has Spare The Air Days, which are announced when
      air quality is particularly bad, and in theory the state wishes
      to discourage driving on those days. The part of the bridge
      that failed is something they'd done a rush job on over the
      Labor Day weekend, entirely to ensure that the bridge would be
      open for cars on the following Tuesday. This despite the fact
      that they *knew* it was about to become a Spare The Air Day!
      <_Jym_>
    • Whitney Turner
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2009
        A humorous aside about structural engineering in general:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-QNAwUdHUQ

        When you're done, get back to earnest discussion....

        ps - here's a link to the actual incident they're having fun with:

        http://www.amsa.gov.au/marine_environment_protection/Major_Oil_Spills_in_Australia/Kirki/index.asp