Re: Still Wanting to be CarFree

  • AnnaLisa Wiley
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2009
      Sometimes I feel that the bicycle culture has overrun the carfree culture
      and left behind those of us who are unable to ride. We depend on public
      transportation if we are carfree and in my area, at least, that is becoming
      increasingly difficult. State and local budget cuts are decreasing the
      already limited bus service and the NIMBY's are still fighting light rail.
      I am thinking seriously of purchasing an old clunker just to get to around
      since they are planning to cut more busses. As it is, many social
      activities are out of my reach unless I can find someone with a car to give
      me a ride home. The bike culture here is more than willing to vote for new
      off road bike paths but many are clueless about public transportation...
      they have bike racks for their cars.

      Is anyone else out there experiencing this type of frustration?

      -AnnaLisa

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 10, 2009
        On 7 Aug 2009 at 10:28, AnnaLisa Wiley wrote:

        > The bike culture here is more than willing to vote for new
        > off road bike paths but many are clueless about public transportation...
        > they have bike racks for their cars.

        That can be a problem with many people who see a bike as a recreational
        vehicle. I don't have an easy answer to the problem, I think the only
        thing you can do is try to increase the number of transport cyclists.

        In Edinburgh the cycling lobby is fairly strong and speaks out for
        pedestrians and public transport users as well, so there is nothing
        inherently anti-public transport about groups of cyclists.

        --
        David Hansen, Edinburgh
        I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 12, 2009
          --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "AnnaLisa Wiley" <carfree@...> wrote:

          > Sometimes I feel that the bicycle culture has overrun the carfree
          > culture and left behind those of us who are unable to ride. We
          > depend on public transportation if we are carfree and in my
          > area, at least, that is becoming increasingly difficult. State
          > and local budget cuts are decreasing the already limited bus
          > service and the NIMBY's are still fighting light rail.
          ====== snip snip snip =======

          I do believe that I will use public transportation also sometimes.

          I'm sorry to hear that budgets for public transportation are being cut in your city. That is definitely a step in the wrong direction. Oh, and what is a "NIMBY". I feel like I should know this, but I don't because I haven't been reading enough messages here.

          I'm sorry to hear that you may have to buy a car. Mass transit is so important. It would be so nice is everyone understood this.
        • AnnaLisa Wiley
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 13, 2009
            NIMBY="Not-In-My-Back-Yard"

            There are the people in Marin County, CA who blocked the building of a light
            rail commuter train connecting one of the most densely populated areas of
            Northern California to San Francisco. The route runs along the old railroad
            and has completed depots and parking areas along the route 101 corridor
            where the traffic congestion is heavy enough to create unhealthy air
            conditions in the cities and damage crops in between.

            http://www.sonomamarintrain.org/

            It finally passed on the last ballot but they succeeded in delaying it for
            many years and construction is not slated to start until 2011.

            AnnaLisa

          • Lee
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14, 2009
              --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "AnnaLisa Wiley" <carfree@...> wrote:

              > NIMBY="Not-In-My-Back-Yard"
              >
              > There are the people in Marin County, CA who blocked the building
              > of a light rail commuter train connecting one of the most densely
              > populated areas of Northern California to San Francisco .......
              > It finally passed on the last ballot but they succeeded in delaying > it for many years and construction is not slated to start until
              > 2011.

              Ok, thanks AnnaLisa. I hope idea that kind of resistance was put up by property owners.