Suburbs only accessable by freeway, is it a good bike ride?

  • josephwcarrillo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
      Is it illegal to build suburbs that can only be accessed by freeway? If it is not then they can't stop people from biking on the freeway, could they. If your forced to do it they can't complain.
    • Justice McPherson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "josephwcarrillo" <josephwcarrillo@...> wrote:
        > Is it illegal to build suburbs that can only be accessed by freeway? If it is not then they can't stop people from biking on the freeway, could they. If your forced to do it they can't complain.

        My understanding is that there is a legal right to travel; a way to access by different means MUST be provided; this in "Bicycling and the Law" which is a good book to have on hand in general. In Alaska, there is no route between Palmer and Anchorage other than the freeway; a paved path is offered between Anchorage and Peters Creek about halfway between the two, during which bicycles are prohibited. Between Peters Creek and Palmer (or Wasilla, which is in the same situation) bicycles are legally allowed on the shoulder of the freeway.