Re: Car free mostly, car light otherwise

  • Justice McPherson
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 14, 2009
      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "fred_dot_u" <fred_dot_u@...> wrote:
      > An interesting concept. Engineers are going to determine where the road
      > is best suited for vehicular cycling? From my experience, ALL roads are
      > best suited for vehicular cycling

      By 'where', I mean what lane positioning is optimal; out of the door zone, best visibility, and so on so forth as opposed to "which pieces of road are best". Any road is a candidate for sharrows as a treatment really; it mostly just means making sure the road meets somewhat more stringent design standards that avoid creating hazards for bicyclists, then slapping a line of stencils down along the roadway out of things like door zones and whatnot.

      > I'll certainly agree that marking the road with sharrows might pass
      > tests for safety and reassuring cyclists. I'd expect also that it
      > reduces the tendency of motor vehicle operators to think that the road
      > is for motor vehicles only.

      Kind've the point, yes. =)