Re: Percentage of road costs that are paid from the general fund

  • watrout
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2009
      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, John Mayson <john@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know of a web site that lists, by state, the percentage of
      > road costs that are paid out of the general fund (i.e. not vehicle
      > specific taxes such as gas tax and registration fees)?
      >
      > I know in Texas it's just over 90% (i.e. motorists pay just under 10%
      > of the costs). I cannot find the source and thanks to the stimulus
      > package recently passing all I can find searching with Google is
      > information about stimulus spending on roads.
      >
      > I'm trying to show that cyclists, while not paying any gas taxes or
      > registration fees, still contribute heavily to paying road costs
      > through other taxes.
      >
      > John
      >
      > --
      > John Mayson <john@...>
      > Austin, Texas, USA

      John,
      I would also be interested in seeing this. I would like to put a presentation together to present to my local government officials in the hopes of encouraging some forward thinking and persuade stimulus monies to be spent on infrastructure projects that do something other than create more roads that loose money and promote "car only" transportation. I've heard numerous times that there is not many if any roads in America that actually support themselves but I've never been able to locate the research that backs it up. I would also be interested in research that shows costs for bike/pedestrian lanes vs. car/truck lanes. I was hoping I could find some projects that have already laid the groundwork for me – or at least find some like minded people that I could collaborate with – so if anyone here fits that bill please look me up.

      Thanks,
      Wes
    • Mari Lea
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2009
        I haven't time to really look at these sites, but they might be a good place to start.

        American Public Transportation Association.
        http://www.apta.com/

        http://www.publictransportation.org/default.asp

        http://www.fta.dot.gov/

        http://www.bikewalk.org/links2.php

        Not just for the money question.  I have gone to these sites in the past for other reasons.

        > Does anyone know of a web site that lists, by state, the percentage of

        > road costs that are paid out of the general fund (i.e. not vehicle

        > specific taxes such as gas tax and registration fees)?

        > I know in Texas it's just over 90% (i.e. motorists pay just under 10%

        > of the costs). I cannot find the source and thanks to the stimulus

        > package recently passing all I can find searching with Google is

        > information about stimulus spending on roads.

        > I'm trying to show that cyclists, while not paying any gas taxes or

        > registration fees, still contribute heavily to paying road costs

        > through other taxes.

        > John

        > --

        > John Mayson <john@...>

        > Austin, Texas, USA

        John,

        I would also be interested in seeing this. I would like to put a presentation together to present to my local government officials in the hopes of encouraging some forward thinking and persuade stimulus monies to be spent on infrastructure projects that do something other than create more roads that loose money and promote "car only" transportation. I've heard numerous times that there is not many if any roads in America that actually support themselves but I've never been able to locate the research that backs it up. I would also be interested in research that shows costs for bike/pedestrian lanes vs. car/truck lanes. I was hoping I could find some projects that have already laid the groundwork for me – or at least find some like minded people that I could collaborate with – so if anyone here fits that bill please look me up.

        Thanks,

        Wes

      • Mark Willard
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2009
          --- John Mayson <john@...> wrote:

          >> Does anyone know of a web site that lists, by state, the
          >> percentage of road costs that are paid out of the general
          >> fund (i.e. not vehicle specific taxes such as gas tax and
          >> registration fees)?
          >
          > John, I would also be interested in seeing this....
          > Wes

          Wes...

          Boulder Colorado invests heavily in bike lanes and dedicated bike trails
          throughout the city. They have a department called Go Boulder that is the
          driver behind it all. Here is the link. You could probably call them and
          talk to someone there. I'm sure they could share some relavent insight.

          http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content
          <http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87
          74&Itemid=2973> &task=view&id=8774&Itemid=2973

          Mark