advice on how to deal with the bus

  • Mari Lea
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2008
      This will be the third time I have requested that the
      local bus system put a bus stop nearer to where I
      work.
      For a year and a half I have been flagging buses down,
      because that is what I was told to do by them.
      There are bus stops near by: Across the street and 1/4
      mile away is a bus stop, in a very dangerous (cars
      mainly) shopping center. Every time I go there to be
      picked up, I have to dodge traffic, or get harassed by
      the security of the store, because I am waiting
      outside (even though I am by the bus stop sign.) The
      other stop, again on the other side of the road is in
      another shopping center, no problem at that center
      it's the walk to it. 1/2 mile on a street marked
      45mph with no shoulders or sidewalks.
      So for the last year and a half I have been waving the
      buses down on my side of the street. With no problem.
      My boss has called a few times to get a stop in,
      nothing. I have wrote, nothing.
      Three weeks ago, I get some new drivers on that route
      and they are threatening not to pick me up, because it
      is not marked as a stop. A few have been very rude
      about it too.
      If I would have called about them being rude, I would
      have been told it was the drivers decision to stop.
      The bus company is refusing to see that with all the
      new stores in the area, they have to put more bus
      stops out there, and not where only a few buses can
      get them.
      I am at wits end on how to make my point across to
      them.
      Anyone have any other ideas? Because I am not the
      only one that uses the bus, and everyone of us has
      horror stories about walking to the other stops.

      ****
      You put the EMO in VoledEMOrt
    • AnnaLisa Wiley
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2008
        Sorry. We have a similar problem in Sonoma County. In an attempt to make
        the bus stops safe and keep traffic moving smoothly, busses are only allowed
        to stop at designated bus stops and these are up to 1 mile apart in some
        areas. The average spacing is about 5 blocks in the city, farther in the
        outlying areas.

        If anyone has a good way of dealing with public transportation officials who
        don't use the services they control, please let us know.

        Sincerely, AnnaLisa

      • Theo Schmidt
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2008
          AnnaLisa Wiley schrieb:
          > Sorry. We have a similar problem in Sonoma County. In an attempt to make
          > the bus stops safe and keep traffic moving smoothly, busses are only allowed
          > to stop at designated bus stops and these are up to 1 mile apart in some
          > areas. The average spacing is about 5 blocks in the city, farther in the
          > outlying areas.

          My advice is to get one of those small foldable scooters. Then it is
          easy to get to the next stop before the bus does. I use mine frequently,
          it's fun as well.

          Theo Schmidt
        • vurt456
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 10, 2008
            > There are many great sites where discussions on religion and
            politics are
            > welcome. Please use them. Also, there is a "reply privately" for
            off topic
            > posts.
            >
            > Thanks, AnnaLisa
            >
            > (Personally, I would be happy to see the moderator flex some muscle
            here.)

            I agree. Rudeness and religion bashing are unacceptable and reflects
            terribly on our group to folks who might want to join and are curious
            about carfree living. It makes this group look crazy, rude and
            unwelcoming - which is certainly not the image I would like to portray
            of us carfree folks.

            Anabel, I am so sorry that you are feeling unwelcome here. I have to
            say that I am feeling unwelcome myself, too. Would anyone else be
            interested in creating a new YahooGroup that's actually about carfree
            living?