Recall of Message #18729

  • Tom Frost Jr.
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 4, 2008
      A while back on this list, urbanite/suburbanite, bus-stop-on-every-
      corner la-la-land elitist Robert Matter capped off a typical one of
      his attacks on my neck of the woods with the following:

      > "[It's] not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or
      > religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-
      immigrant
      > sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their
      > frustrations." --Barack Obama

      TF: In my original response, namely CF Message #18729, to Mr. Matter
      on the above display of ignorance, I let Obama slide by allowing for
      the fact that he knew not to say it here in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
      (Rather, he said it to a bunch of San Francisco leftists.) However, CF
      Message #18729 is hereby recalled and replaced with the following:

      "We tend to prefer candidates who don't talk about us one way in
      Scranton and another way in San Francisco." - Sarah Palin, 9/3/08

      TF:
      1. Thank you, Mrs. Palin, for helping me realize that the only thing
      that I clung to for too long was Obama.

      2. Thank you, Mr. Matter, for helping Obama do the job that the
      Clintons couldn't quite do of _finishing_ _off_ your favorite
      political party.

      - TF
    • intjring
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 5, 2008
        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frost Jr." <tomfrostjr@...>
        wrote:

        > A while back on this list, urbanite/suburbanite, bus-stop-on-every-
        > corner la-la-land elitist Robert Matter capped off a typical one of
        > his attacks on my neck of the woods with the following:
        >
        > > "[It's] not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns
        or
        > > religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-
        > immigrant
        > > sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their
        > > frustrations." --Barack Obama
        >
        > TF: In my original response, namely CF Message #18729, to Mr.
        Matter
        > on the above display of ignorance, I let Obama slide by allowing
        for
        > the fact that he knew not to say it here in Northeastern
        Pennsylvania.
        > (Rather, he said it to a bunch of San Francisco leftists.) However,
        CF
        > Message #18729 is hereby recalled and replaced with the following:
        >
        > "We tend to prefer candidates who don't talk about us one way in
        > Scranton and another way in San Francisco." - Sarah Palin, 9/3/08
        >
        > TF:
        > 1. Thank you, Mrs. Palin, for helping me realize that the only
        thing
        > that I clung to for too long was Obama.
        >
        > 2. Thank you, Mr. Matter, for helping Obama do the job that the
        > Clintons couldn't quite do of _finishing_ _off_ your favorite
        > political party.
        >
        > - TF

        None of this has anything to do with car-free, but may I ask what on
        earth you mean about you clung to Obama? You're obviously not a
        Democrat. LOL
      • Steven Schoeffler
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5, 2008
          Why the snideness?

          On Sep 5, 2008, at 5:27 AM, intjring wrote:

          > None of this has anything to do with car-free, but may I ask what on
          > earth you mean about you clung to Obama? You're obviously not a
          > Democrat. LOL

        • Tom Frost Jr
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 6, 2008
            > Posted by: "intjring" intjring@...
            > intjring
            > Date: Fri Sep 5, 2008 3:27 am ((PDT))
            >
            > None of this has anything to do with car-free,

            TF: Readers of the whole thread know that it had plenty to do with car-free and that it was Robert Matter who injected the partisan politics into it. He did so as his reason for not wanting to try even one day of his lifestyle in my neck of the woods.

            For those who are still too lazy to go back and read the thread, it involved a certain Simon reporting about how he once lived in Binghamton and lamenting that his carfreeness prevented him from taking significant day trips away therefrom. I replied with something to the effect that I've never had any problem cycling in and out of Binghamton from this hill 40 miles south of it, and that he could have done it too, simply by practicing the principles set forth at http://www.JohnForester.com . In short: that among the potential destinations for a "carfree" trip away from Binghamton, N.Y., is the Frost Farm here in Susquehanna County, Pa.

            Then Robert Matter piped up, with 1) some crap about how "real" carfree people wouldn't want to bother visiting my county except perhaps to do vandalism, and 2) the Obama quote.

            In short, in this case and in many others, my opponents are who you want to talk to about keeping the list on-topic.

            > but may I
            > ask what on
            > earth you mean about you clung to Obama? You're
            > obviously not a
            > Democrat. LOL

            TF: Again, become more informed about your opponents before setting fire to a list. The archives from early 2003 will reveal that I, like Obama, opposed the Iraq war from the start. What in green hell does party affiliation have to do with that?

            Not surprisingly, you _missed_ the mistake that I _did_ make: I suspect that actually, Mr. Matter isn't a Democrat either. Based on some stuff that you'll also find in your archives-catch-up work, he professes to be a Maoist.

            - TF
          • intjring
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 6, 2008
              --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Tom Frost Jr <tomfrostjr@...> wrote:

              > > but may I
              > > ask what on
              > > earth you mean about you clung to Obama? You're
              > > obviously not a
              > > Democrat. LOL
              >
              > TF: Again, become more informed about your opponents before setting
              fire to a list. The archives from early 2003 will reveal that I, like
              Obama, opposed the Iraq war from the start. What in green hell does
              party affiliation have to do with that?

              I'm not going to study years of archives because someone refuses to
              write a lucid post. You still haven't answered my question about what
              you meant by saying you "clung" to Obama, but don't bother. It
              doesn't matter that much.

              Geez, I can't even ask a question about something that obviously made
              no sense without being accused of setting a fire. My post didn't set
              any fire - it was going before I asked it. You're pretty arrogant,
              aren't you?

              Cindy
            • intjring
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 6, 2008
                --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Steven Schoeffler <steve@...> wrote:

                > Why the snideness?

                My amusement stemmed from the poster's implication he was an ex-Obama
                supporter when it was obvious that wasn't very likely.

                Cindy
              • Tom Frost Jr.
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 6, 2008
                  --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "intjring" <intjring@...> wrote:

                  > I'm not going to study years of archives because someone refuses to
                  > write a lucid post. You still haven't answered my question about
                  what
                  > you meant by saying you "clung" to Obama,

                  TF: I "clung to" Carter too! There's nothing "non-lucid" about that,
                  except to the most narrow-minded people. But since this list is full
                  of them, here's the clarification of what "clung to" means:

                  "Clung to" Carter means that I voted for Carter, both times. In the
                  case of Obama, "clung to" means that yes, I'm an ex-supporter of him
                  and I planned for over a year to vote for him, until just the other
                  day when the reminding-me-of-Bob-Matter factor that I explained in my
                  earlier post came along.

                  > but don't bother. It
                  > doesn't matter that much.

                  TF: It obviously mattered plenty to you, because if it didn't you
                  wouldn't have asked. Therefore, I ignored your rude request to not
                  bother.

                  > Geez, I can't even ask a question about something that obviously
                  made
                  > no sense

                  TF: My point exactly: Only to the most narrow-minded people does
                  it "obviously make no sense"; see above.

                  - TF
                • intjring
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 6, 2008
                    --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frost Jr." <tomfrostjr@...> wrote:

                    > "Clung to" Carter means that I voted for Carter, both times. In the
                    > case of Obama, "clung to" means that yes, I'm an ex-supporter of him
                    > and I planned for over a year to vote for him, until just the other
                    > day when the reminding-me-of-Bob-Matter factor that I explained in my
                    > earlier post came along.

                    Geez, that's great, Tom - it means one of two things. Either:

                    (a) You knew before anyone else on earth that Obama would be the
                    nominee; or

                    (b) You voted in a primary for a candidate you don't intend to support.

                    Further, based on what you claim you made your decision on, you are the
                    Republicans' dream voter; you don't care a whit about the issues.

                    Thanks for clarifying.

                    Cindy
                  • Tom Frost Jr.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 6, 2008
                      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "intjring" <intjring@...> wrote:

                      > Geez, that's great, Tom - it means one of two things. Either:
                      >
                      > (a) You knew before anyone else on earth that Obama would be the
                      > nominee; or
                      >
                      > (b) You voted in a primary for a candidate you don't intend to
                      support.

                      TF: Wrong on both counts.

                      On (a), yes I'm a succussful time traveler; I've visited the 20th
                      century twice (arriving once in the forward-in-time direction by
                      being born into it like you, and once in the backwards-in-time
                      direction by means of some twitching of the handlebars of my time-
                      traveling iron steed), and these days I get tomorrow's paper today.
                      However, neither one of those things constituted _that_ good of a
                      cracking of the secret of time travel, because my extent of travel in
                      both of the above examples was only one day. Traveling a _year_ -
                      whether into the future to see who the nominee will be, or into the
                      past to undo one's mistake of supporting him/her - is still only the
                      stuff of science fiction.

                      And on (b), I voted for Ron Paul in the primary. He was the only
                      acceptable choice for non-Democrats, and if you'd read my posts as
                      carefully as the rules of courteous cyberepistolary gunfighting
                      require, you would have seen that I did clarify that I'm a non-
                      Democrat.

                      > Further, based on what you claim you made your decision on, you are
                      the
                      > Republicans' dream voter; you don't care a whit about the issues.

                      TF: Chicagoans insulting Susquehanna Countians as a bunch of bumpkins
                      who cling to their guns, _is_ an issue, for Bumpkins and gun owners
                      everywhere. A _big_ issue.

                      An equally-significant issue, and a more on-topic issue, that made me
                      start to dig Palin was that she boasted about killing the Bridge to
                      Nowhere. Well on that one, it might turn out that she's a liar:
                      According to a snippet that I just read an hour ago, she only began
                      opposing it when her state's likely share of the cost increased.
                      Hmmm; so I guess the issue of whether I'm an "ex"-Obama supporter
                      might still be in flux (at least as long as Robert Matter keeps his
                      trap shut).

                      - TF
                    • Theo Schmidt
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 6, 2008
                        Cindy and Tom:

                        Please continue your discussion off-list. Thanks.

                        Theo