INTRODUCTORY PROFILE answers

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2008
      Hello,

      INTRODUCTORY PROFILE

      1. Which of the following best describes you? Please check one.
      XX_ I own a car but use other forms of transport frequently

      2. How long have you been either car-free or used non-automotive
      transport as your principle means of transportation?

      since March 2008

      3. What inspired your decision to reduce or end your reliance on the
      automobile?

      creation care Bible study

      4. What factors have either impeded or inspired your decision to reduce your
      reliance on automotive transport?

      crazy drivers making driving stressful; wanting to reduce mileage on car to
      increase longevity because don't want to have a car loan to pay

      5. Has your transportational choices had any discernible effect on your
      family and friends?

      they just think this is a granola phase I'm going through and I'll act
      normal soon enough in the future (in our town taking the bus is usually
      taken as a sign that your car broke down or you can't drive or you can't
      afford to own a car)

      6. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being car-free and/or
      getting around without using a car?

      someone else deals with the discourteous drivers so I can sit back and relax
      and read a book or listen to music or pray or just think

      7. Do you typically feel comfortable recommending car-free living to your
      friends and/or relatives? Why or why not?

      yes, because it makes economic sense and it is one aspect of putting
      creation care values to work

      8. Have you experienced any adverse consequences of reducing or eliminating
      your automotive dependency with regard to time and finances?

      requires planning and extra time

      9. Have there been any benefits?

      Less stress, more time for me-time, less money spent

      10. In an ideal world, what role should the car play in the general
      transportation system?

      Emergencies, urgencies, carpooling

      11. Do you have any other personal or general thoughts you've care to share
      on this topic?

      Psyched to be involved in a positive movement that has economic,
      environmental and social benefits.

      12. Where do you live (city, state, country)?

      El Paso, TX
    • AnnaLisa Wiley
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2008
        Welcome Karen.

        As someone from a "granola" area of northern California, I found your
        comments ironic. People here have the same crazy attitudes toward busses as
        your area does although everyone is up on recycling and eating organic. The
        excuses people use for using private vehicles when they could take a bus or
        ride a bike are often ludicrous.

        The fact that your decision was apparently based in Christian spirituality
        is heartwarming. I have encountered too many so-called "Christians" who see
        no reason to care for the Earth because Jesus is going to save them. That
        attitude certainly doesn't fit with my interpretation of his teachings!

        So, welcome aboard.

        Blessings, AnnaLisa

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2008
          On 11 Aug 2008 at 12:55, AnnaLisa Wiley wrote:

          > People here have the same crazy attitudes toward busses as
          > your area does although everyone is up on recycling and eating organic.

          It is a reasonably common attitude in many/most parts of the English
          speaking world.

          I also have my reservations about the fluffy animal brigade, many of
          whom drive everywhere in large cars.

          However, the third world charities have now got climate change. They
          were slow to get it, but they are now working on it fully. The list of
          members of Stop Climate Chaos Scotland includes many organisations
          which would not have been there a decade ago
          <http://www.stopclimatechaosscotland.org/aboutus_who.php>. This is good
          as they have links to many places.

          > The
          > excuses people use for using private vehicles when they could take a bus or
          > ride a bike are often ludicrous.

          Of course a bike is a private vehicle. Aeroplanes are also mostly
          public transport, but people tend to think they are in some way
          different to buses or trains.

          > I have encountered too many so-called "Christians" who see
          > no reason to care for the Earth because Jesus is going to save them. That
          > attitude certainly doesn't fit with my interpretation of his teachings!

          They must be reading a different bible. However, I watched the
          additional bits of the CD version of An Inconvenient Truth yesterday,
          which includes an update on the issues which must be dated late 2006 or
          early 2007. Amongst the updates Mr Gore made the point that many
          Christian organisations had now understood global warming and were
          communicating that fact to others.

          It is bad, but it is not as bad as it might be.

          --
          David Hansen, Edinburgh
          I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents