Re: [CF] Question: personal politics of being car-free

  • kjhashim
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2008
      Congratulations! This is a nice article on car sharing
      http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/ShouldYouShareACar.aspx

      Check out flexcar for the LA area for borrowing a car on the occasions
      when you really need to:
      http://www.flexcar.com/

      Although for the purpose of your upcoming meeting with your friend, I
      agree you should first ask if you guys could meet near a bus line.

      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Kathryn Pope" <thingsimreading@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks for the suggestions! I sold my car this week and although the
      car has
      > been used very rarely for the past 6 months, I'm now in my first week
      > completely car-free. It's a freeing feeling!
      >
      > As luck would have it, my faraway friend requested that I go to her
      neck of
      > the woods and meet her for lunch (she doesn't know that I sold my
      car). I
      > may rent a car -- but since I have no errands that require a car
      just now, I
      > might first ask her if we can meet near a bus line. I'll see how it
      goes.

      > I'm curious. Would it be appropriate to send a mass I'm-now-car-free
      message
      > to friends, so they know ahead of time that I'm not driving anymore?
      >
      > Thanks for all your support!
      >
      > Kate

    • Kate
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
        Thanks for your support, Fred!
        So far, so good... Actually, now that there's no car at home and the
        trial period is over, I've found that it's easier explaining things.

        Also, I sent a mass note to my friends, giving the basics, just so I
        don't have to tell the story over and over to each person who asks.

        I'm doing well!
        Kate

        fred_dot_u wrote:

        > It's just my opinion, but of course, that's part of what you're asking.
        >
        > I would think now is probably more appropriate than any other time and
        > certainly from a societal standpoint, it's the right time and
        > "appropriate-ness" for such things. I suppose people who know you will
        > congratulate you, or perhaps try to console you, but you know they
        > aren't quite getting it if that happens.
        >
        > Either way, the people who are important to you will now adjust to your
        > "coming out of the garage" and all will be well in your world.
        >
        > Congratulations on your lifestyle-affirming decision!

      • fred_dot_u
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
          As a sort-of confession, I have to admit I'm not fully car-free. I've
          got over 13 thousand miles on my human powered transportation in the
          last three and half years, but we also have a couple of short-range
          electric vehicles. I prefer the human powered over any motor vehicle,
          for all the benefits it provides. One of my favorite expressions, when
          asked the standard "how are you?" is to reply, "Any day I can ride is a
          good day." I'm sure those on this group who pedal know that feeling of
          the endorphin kick from riding and I've become a natural drug addict.

          Occasionally, I have a trip that is too short to take the velomobile,
          one or two miles, so I take the lazy way out and unplug the Gizmo or
          Xebra and silently glide away.

          Don't you love those people who ask you, "You do have a car, don't you?"
          I'm always sad to say I do, but happy to say that it gets used once a
          month by my wife. She uses the van to deliver her art stuff to the
          monthly "gallery walk" and I bike there to help her set up the tent and
          bike home. Of course, that makes people all the more confused.

          When you look at all the little pieces, they look pretty good. No gas
          prices, no oil changes, no maintenance, no insurance... When you look at
          the big picture, it looks even better!