I'm pissed off at METRO! You don't even know how pissed I am

  • etakacs72
    Message 1 of 9 , May 16, 2008
      From today on, whenever I will see a bus approaching, I will take the
      lane! I will certainly not rely on the driver being courteous. If they
      want to get past me, they will have to either go through me or they
      will have to slow down and change lanes to pass me.

      I'm so sick of these Metro drivers! I can't even tell you how pissed
      off I am!!!

      http://www.laist.com/2008/05/16/bike_to_work_we.php

      Please, read the article and voice your opinions! We need it!

      Enci
      http://www.illuminateLA.com
    • John A. Ardelli
      Message 2 of 9 , May 18, 2008
        On May 16, 2008, at 10:35 PM, etakacs72 wrote:

        > http://www.laist.com/2008/05/16/bike_to_work_we.php
        >
        > Please, read the article and voice your opinions! We need it!

        I'd like to but registering requires launching a Windows only
        application, it seems; I'm a Mac user.

        The Macintosh is the "alternative computer," in a sense. Ironically,
        I've found dynamic between Windows and Mac users is similar in many
        ways to the dynamic between motorists and cyclists. Windows users,
        like motorists, think their way is the "only way," and that Macs aren't
        useful for day to day tasks. Mac users, like cyclists, think that
        their choice is actually the WISER of the two. And they're right. ;)

        The parallel goes even further. There's the "cyclist inferiority" myth
        that cyclists are somehow second class citizens. There is ALSO what
        you might call the "Mac inferiority" myth. Windows bigots will tell
        you how there's "no software" for the Mac or that it's "only useful for
        graphics." In reality, although you might not be able to get the exact
        same apps for the Mac, ANYTHING a Windows machine can do CAN be done on
        a Mac; don't let Windows bigots tell you differently. ;)

        So, choosing a Mac in a Windows-dominated world is not unlike choosing
        to ride a bicycle in a motor-dominated world and once again we, like
        cyclists, weren't considered when this website was planned...

        John A. Ardelli
        http://pedalingprince.blogspot.com
      • Mari Lea
        Message 3 of 9 , May 18, 2008
          So would that mean the Linux users are one that want to build their own transportation and share it with other like minded people?

          ****
          You put the EMO in VoledEMOrt

          On May 16, 2008, at 10:35 PM, etakacs72 wrote:

          > http://www.laist. com/2008/ 05/16/bike_ to_work_we. php
          >
          > Please, read the article and voice your opinions! We need it!

          I'd like to but registering requires launching a Windows only
          application, it seems; I'm a Mac user.

          The Macintosh is the "alternative computer," in a sense. Ironically,
          I've found dynamic between Windows and Mac users is similar in many
          ways to the dynamic between motorists and cyclists. Windows users,
          like motorists, think their way is the "only way," and that Macs aren't
          useful for day to day tasks. Mac users, like cyclists, think that
          their choice is actually the WISER of the two. And they're right. ;)

          The parallel goes even further. There's the "cyclist inferiority" myth
          that cyclists are somehow second class citizens. There is ALSO what
          you might call the "Mac inferiority" myth. Windows bigots will tell
          you how there's "no software" for the Mac or that it's "only useful for
          graphics." In reality, although you might not be able to get the exact
          same apps for the Mac, ANYTHING a Windows machine can do CAN be done on
          a Mac; don't let Windows bigots tell you differently. ;)

          So, choosing a Mac in a Windows-dominated world is not unlike choosing
          to ride a bicycle in a motor-dominated world and once again we, like
          cyclists, weren't considered when this website was planned...

          John A. Ardelli
          http://pedalingprin ce.blogspot. com
          http://health. groups.yahoo. com/group/ vofv/

        • Theo Schmidt
          Message 4 of 9 , May 18, 2008
            etakacs72 schrieb:
            > http://www.laist.com/2008/05/16/bike_to_work_we.php
            >
            > Please, read the article and voice your opinions! We need it!

            Not very nice. However (from what I gather) the bus driver didn't it
            seems actually hurt you or threaten you: he is just an idiot an
            incompetent driver who should have let you drive out of the vicinty of
            the bus stop. Therefore it isn't a matter for the police, but of a
            simple complaint to Metro and an apology from them. Probably behind the
            scenes he was reprimanded.

            Not a consolation to you, but thankfully it wasn't worse. I generally
            try to ride fast when I see a bus behind so that they don't get the idea
            of overtaking.

            Theo Schmidt
          • Enci
            Message 5 of 9 , May 18, 2008
              John,

              I love your comparison!. I'm a Mac user as well. :-)

              But I'm not sure what you are referring to about requiring launching
              a Windows only application. You don't need to be registered to leave
              a comment. You can leave a comment as a Guest.

              Maybe there is something new on LAist that I don't know about but I
              don't see any problems with the site and I'm only using Macs and all
              seems to be working fine with me.

              Can you explain? I'd like to send it to the Editor and bring
              whatever issues you have to his attention.

              Enci

              On May 18, 2008, at 2:13 AM, John A. Ardelli wrote:

              > On May 16, 2008, at 10:35 PM, etakacs72 wrote:
              >
              > > http://www.laist.com/2008/05/16/bike_to_work_we.php
              > >
              > > Please, read the article and voice your opinions! We need it!
              >
              > I'd like to but registering requires launching a Windows only
              > application, it seems; I'm a Mac user.
              >
              > The Macintosh is the "alternative computer," in a sense. Ironically,
              > I've found dynamic between Windows and Mac users is similar in many
              > ways to the dynamic between motorists and cyclists. Windows users,
              > like motorists, think their way is the "only way," and that Macs
              > aren't
              > useful for day to day tasks. Mac users, like cyclists, think that
              > their choice is actually the WISER of the two. And they're right. ;)

              ======== Snip Snip SNip SNip ========
            • Enci
              Message 6 of 9 , May 18, 2008
                Yes, the driver might have been just an idiot but he should not be on
                the street serving the public if he is out there terrorizing other
                roadway users.

                I went to the PD and filed charges for assault with a deadly weapon
                and they opened a file.

                Maybe if the driver wouldn't have yelled but apologized the story
                might be different. Maybe if the Metro Supervisor would have talked
                to me and apologized to me, I wouldn't be pissed off.

                I'm one of the few people who will stand up and say "no more!"
                Someone else, who is less skilled on our streets would have been
                swept underneath the bus or been hit or who knows what.

                I've been working with the Metro on these issues for a few years now
                and they are still not reinforcing to respect all users of the road,
                not just those who might leave a dent in their busses and who have
                insurance companies to back them up.

                Pedestrians and cyclists deserve to be treated with respect and equal
                treatment. So an idiot who tells me to "Get the Fuck of the Road"
                should be not behind a massive vehicle, transporting people while
                knocking those on the street out of his way.

                Enci
                www.illuminateLA.com

                On May 18, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Theo Schmidt wrote:

                > etakacs72 schrieb:
                > > http://www.laist.com/2008/05/16/bike_to_work_we.php
                > >
                > > Please, read the article and voice your opinions! We need it!
                >
                > Not very nice. However (from what I gather) the bus driver didn't it
                > seems actually hurt you or threaten you: he is just an idiot an
                > incompetent driver who should have let you drive out of the vicinty of
                > the bus stop. Therefore it isn't a matter for the police, but of a
                > simple complaint to Metro and an apology from them. Probably behind
                > the
                > scenes he was reprimanded.
                >
                > Not a consolation to you, but thankfully it wasn't worse. I generally
                > try to ride fast when I see a bus behind so that they don't get the
                > idea
                > of overtaking.
                >
                > Theo Schmidt

              • Theo Schmidt
                Message 7 of 9 , May 18, 2008
                  John A. Ardelli schrieb:
                  > On May 16, 2008, at 10:35 PM, etakacs72 wrote:
                  >
                  >> http://www.laist.com/2008/05/16/bike_to_work_we.php
                  >>
                  >> Please, read the article and voice your opinions! We need it!
                  >
                  > I'd like to but registering requires launching a Windows only
                  > application, it seems; I'm a Mac user.

                  It doesn't seem that way to me: it is a site programmed with php, which
                  any browser should understand it? (I didn't actually register to try it
                  out, though)

                  > The Macintosh is the "alternative computer," in a sense.

                  I think Linux systems are more "alternative". With Windows you are
                  dependent on the software but free to use any hardware. With Macintosh
                  you are dependent on the software *and* the hardware, even if it looks
                  nice and works well. With Linux you can do whatever you like and go a
                  lot further with fewer resources, like with cycling.

                  > Ironically,
                  > I've found dynamic between Windows and Mac users is similar in many
                  > ways to the dynamic between motorists and cyclists.

                  I would call the Windows-users car drivers, the Mac-users motorcyclists,
                  and the Linux-users cyclists!

                  And there are a lot more linux systems around than mac systems just as
                  there are a lot more cyclists than motor-cyclists, world-wide. But they
                  are more inconspicuous (Linux-systems drive most web-servers,
                  super-computers (i.e. "Buses") and embedded systems in devices.

                  All not meant to be taken too seriously :-)

                  Theo Schmidt
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 18, 2008
                    On 18 May 2008 at 18:07, Theo Schmidt wrote:

                    > >> http://www.laist.com/2008/05/16/bike_to_work_we.php
                    > >>
                    > >> Please, read the article and voice your opinions! We need it!
                    > >
                    > > I'd like to but registering requires launching a Windows only
                    > > application, it seems; I'm a Mac user.
                    >
                    > It doesn't seem that way to me: it is a site programmed with php, which
                    > any browser should understand it? (I didn't actually register to try it
                    > out, though)

                    PHP is not something a browser needs to understand. It is run on the
                    server and it sends the result to the browser. The result does not
                    include any PHP, it consists of HTML and perhaps some scripts.

                    A quick look at the "source" of the page shows lots of Javascript.
                    Perhaps some of that is not Mac friendly, or not friendly to particular
                    Macs.

                    --
                    David Hansen, Edinburgh
                    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 30, 2008
                      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Enci <Enci@...> wrote:

                      > I'm one of the few people who will stand up and say "no more!"

                      TF: Me also, by having been attacking the public-cage _patronizers_ on
                      this list for years, for more or less that very reason! Back in the
                      1980s, I used Greyhound once or twice a year to go downstate, but I've
                      cut that back to about once a decade since then because I decided that
                      I can drive my _own_ cage and be presenting less of a threat, per
                      passenger mile, to the citizenry along the way.

                      - TF