RE: Yahoo! Groups: Welcome to CarFree. Visit today!

  • Geoff Schneider
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 31, 2008
      INTRODUCTORY PROFILE

      1. Which of the following best describes you? Please check one. _X_ I do
      not presently own a car though I have owned a car previously. __ I am
      car-free and have never owned a car __ I own a car but use other forms
      of transport frequently

      2. How long have you been either car-free or used non-automotive
      transport as your principle means of transportation?
      7 years

      3. What inspired your decision to reduce or end your reliance on the
      automobile?
      A lousy commute that turned great after riding a bike to work. And
      riding a bike was just fun

      4. What factors have either impeded or inspired your decision to reduce
      your reliance on automotive transport?
      Air pollution, bad drivers, a sense of superiority (I use my muscles,
      they just buy a car)

      5. Has your transportational choices had any discernible effect on your
      family and friends?
      I have friends now because of cycling. My wife feels better about
      herself knowing we don't pollute.

      6. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being car-free and/or
      getting around without using a car?
      Advantages; exercise, fresh air, no parking problems. Dis-adv; can't
      carry the very rare large load back to the store to return a bad
      present.

      7. Do you typically feel comfortable recommending car-free living to
      your friends and/or relatives? Why or why not?
      Yes. I see so many advantages, and its who I am now. Cars are becoming
      a stigma, but most people see them as necessary. I can say why they
      aren't.

      8. Have you experienced any adverse consequences of reducing or
      eliminating your automotive dependency with regard to time and finances?

      I lost a job that wanted me to work till 7-8pm every night. But I now
      work 8-4. much better.

      9. Have there been any benefits?
      Lost 30 lbs, great blood pressure. I am complimented for riding every
      day.

      10. In an ideal world, what role should the car play in the general
      transportation system?
      Service industries (taxis, services/goods delivery, police, ambulances)
      basically those who need to travel lots for work, but not commute
      travel.

      11. Do you have any other personal or general thoughts you've care to
      share on this topic?
      Life would be better if we can elimnate the need for transportation
      altogether. If we can work within a mile or so of living, have
      commerical and retail centers nearby. There should be no need for
      excessive energy usage in transportation, humans are best at that form
      of energy.

      12. Where do you live (city, state, country)?
      San Francisco, CA USA
    • John A. Ardelli
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
        On Mar 31, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Geoff Schneider wrote:

        > 8. Have you experienced any adverse consequences of reducing or
        > eliminating your automotive dependency with regard to time and
        > finances?
        >
        > I lost a job that wanted me to work till 7-8pm every night.

        Why couldn't you? I've worked shifts that kept me at work until 11:00
        PM or later and still cycled home just fine (with appropriate lights,
        of course ;)).

        John A. Ardelli
        http://pedalingprince.blogspot.com
      • John A. Ardelli
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 8, 2008
          On Apr 8, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Robert J. Matter wrote:

          > Cycling at night in a tiny homogenous remote frozen fishing village in
          > the Maritimes is a lot different than cycling at night in a major
          > metropolitan area like New York, Chicago, or L.A.

          Well, I guess it's a good thing I don't live in "a tiny homogenous
          remote frozen fishing village in the Maritimes." You're describing
          places like Main-a-Dieu or Broughton; I live in Sydney.

          John A. Ardelli
          http://pedalingprince.blogspot.com
        • Robert J. Matter
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 8, 2008
            John A. Ardelli wrote:

            > On Mar 31, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Geoff Schneider wrote:
            >
            >>8. Have you experienced any adverse consequences of reducing or
            >>eliminating your automotive dependency with regard to time and
            >>finances?
            >>
            >>I lost a job that wanted me to work till 7-8pm every night.
            >
            > Why couldn't you? I've worked shifts that kept me at work until 11:00
            > PM or later and still cycled home just fine (with appropriate lights,
            > of course ;)).

            Cycling at night in a tiny homogenous remote frozen fishing village in
            the Maritimes is a lot different than cycling at night in a major
            metropolitan area like New York, Chicago, or L.A. There is a lot more
            night traffic in those cities, and that traffic tends to be a lot
            younger, a lot faster, a lot higher, a lot drunker, and a lot more
            distracted. And, there are bad neighborhoods in those areas that might
            be passable in the daytime but are too dangerous crime-wise to go
            through at night. You could get hit by a stray bullet or get bike-jacked.

            -Bob Matter
            -----------
            Cyclestrians fare best when accommodated with exclusive space free of
            vehicles.
          • Justice McPherson
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
              --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "John A. Ardelli" <gelfling@...> wrote:

              > Well, I guess it's a good thing I don't live in "a tiny homogenous
              > remote frozen fishing village in the Maritimes." You're describing
              > places like Main-a-Dieu or Broughton; I live in Sydney.

              Well, recognize that the guy is American. Americans have an amazingly
              excessive sense of personal danger. They may live in cities safer than
              most of their peers elsewhere in the world by far, but they are
              convinced that danger lurks around every corner. I always noted this
              before visiting overseas and having professors remark on how their
              American colleagues would always lead off by demanding to know where
              in the city was safe. 'Safe? Well, it's all safe. *thinks a few
              minutes* I don't know, I suppose just don't do anything ridiculous to
              the drug dealers in suchandsuch neighborhood, and don't forget to lock
              your door in eastern overthere." This is, by the way, a major reason
              why Americans are dying of obesity and car wrecks; they'd rather hide
              in a car than risk the mindblowingly remote risk of crime.
            • Mari Lea
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 9, 2008
                According to most people that do not live in my neighborhood, I am risking my life just living there. Granted I have had to call the cops more times in two years than I did in my entire life (mainly due to loud music and drunks), but it's a lot safer than most people would like to guess.
                As someone stated before, when you are visible in the neighborhood, by walking and so forth, people begin to accept you. And even the "dangerous" people will ignore you.
                You still have to be careful. I do not like being out, riding the bus after dark, but I have done it. Carrying a flashlight and my box cutter in my hands, nothing has ever happened.
                I just stay away from the parts of town that the crime seems to be focused in, when I can. My dentist is close to an area that is getting hit hard by gangs, So I make sure to go there in day light and walk a block down the hill so I am closer to the "college crowd".
                That is one thing I have had to get used to living in a larger city. It still amazes me that one block will make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end and the next block, is the complete opposite. Something you really don't notice until you are out of a car.

                ****
                You put the EMO in VoledEMOrt

                > Well, I guess it's a good thing I don't live in "a tiny homogenous
                > remote frozen fishing village in the Maritimes." You're describing
                > places like Main-a-Dieu or Broughton; I live in Sydney.

                Well, recognize that the guy is American. Americans have an amazingly
                excessive sense of personal danger. They may live in cities safer than
                most of their peers elsewhere in the world by far, but they are
                convinced that danger lurks around every corner. I always noted this
                before visiting overseas and having professors remark on how their
                American colleagues would always lead off by demanding to know where
                in the city was safe. 'Safe? Well, it's all safe. *thinks a few
                minutes* I don't know, I suppose just don't do anything ridiculous to
                the drug dealers in suchandsuch neighborhood, and don't forget to lock
                your door in eastern overthere." This is, by the way, a major reason
                why Americans are dying of obesity and car wrecks; they'd rather hide
                in a car than risk the mindblowingly remote risk of crime.

              • sail4free
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 17, 2008
                  ==========
                  My last bike headlight fell off while my bike was in a carrier -- going down the road about 55 MPH . . . glancing at the rearview mirror, I saw it explode into little pieces . . . I didn't even slow down. So I bought one of these today at my local bike shop for $30:

                  http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/342

                  I thought I'd miss the rechargeable feature that was on my old one, but in flashing mode (all I ever use anyway), it's rated for 120 hours. If I use it running to AND home from work, that's 5-1/2 to 6 months on four AA batteries . . . I think I can swing that.
                  ==========
                  This sucker has FIVE LEDs and, man, is it BRIGHT! I don't need the light to see. I need it so *they* can see ME. My rather aggressive downtown riding style (I don't like to stop) has me riding sometimes -- in a bike lane -- but facing traffic. Some of them dog-lickers drive as if I'm not even there. I'll bet if I have TWO of these aimed at their eye level, they'll see me then! I run all my lights night AND day -- I want every advantage available to me. Running at night without lights seems a LOT more hazardous than some of the stunts I pull.
                  ==========
                  The ends of my handlebars stick out 13" from the bike's centerline, so I'm thinking to protect my rearend, I need a bar which sticks out 18" to 24" on BOTH sides and then I'll get the biggest, baddest, brightest RED LEDs I can find and mount one towards each end of the bar.
                  ==========
                  To be safe, I'll probably need to cut the bar in the middle and mount it on a bracket which will allow either side to pivot forward OR back withOUT pushing me off course (if somebody gets too close OR I clip something on the way past it). Shistuff happens. What would be REALLY cool is if (from my handlebar) I could release the tail arms to trail behind me for lane-splitting and then redeploy them to stick out again once there is enough room again. A cable on a brake lever could pull them BACK behind me, and then (when the lever is released) they could spring back to their extended position. We have some fairly creative guys here at work; I'll let 'em ponder that one for a while.
                • Vic Gedris
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 17, 2008
                    On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:04 PM, John Mayson <john@...> wrote:

                    > I'm not as tempted to leave work at lunch to eat out or buy stuff I don't really
                    > need.

                    Oh! I love having my bike at work so that I *can* easily go out for lunch.

                    I work in the "downtown" of Mississauga, Ontario (a suburb of Toronto)
                    and there's not much here within quick walking distance. A big mall
                    foodcourt, an Indian buffet (I hit that one up frequently) and an
                    overpriced misc. food place in our building. A quick bike ride
                    extends my options significantly. I think today will be Vietnamese.

                    The bike ride at lunch is always fun. Makes me want to not pack a
                    lunch more often. :)

                    Welcome to the group.

                    Cheers,
                    Vic

                    --
                    Vic Gedris
                    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 17, 2008
                      http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/342

                      > ... in flashing mode (all I ever use anyway), it's rated for 120
                      > hours. If I use it running to AND home from work, that's 5-1/2
                      > to 6 months on four AA batteries ... I think I can swing that.

                      =v= I run this light in steady mode, with rechargeable batteries
                      which don't last as long. Even so, the setup lasts me 2 months.

                      =v= The "Flex-Tite" mounting bracket (the zip-tie thing) works
                      well for lights with two AA batteries, but I had to upgrade to
                      the bigger bracket for four AA batteries.
                      <_Jym_>
                    • ensignaurora
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 14, 2008
                        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Vic Gedris" <vic@...> wrote:

                        > On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:04 PM, John Mayson <john@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'm not as tempted to leave work at lunch to eat out or buy stuff
                        I don't really
                        > > need.
                        >
                        > Oh! I love having my bike at work so that I *can* easily go out for
                        lunch.

                        > I work in the "downtown" of Mississauga, Ontario (a suburb of Toronto)
                        > and there's not much here within quick walking distance. A big mall
                        > foodcourt, an Indian buffet (I hit that one up frequently) and an
                        > overpriced misc. food place in our building. A quick bike ride
                        > extends my options significantly. I think today will be Vietnamese.
                        >
                        > The bike ride at lunch is always fun. Makes me want to not pack a
                        > lunch more often. :)
                        >
                        > Welcome to the group.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Vic
                        >
                        > --
                        > Vic Gedris
                        > Toronto, Ontario, Canada
                        > http://vic.gedris.org/

                        Okay, I have a question on this: how does one approach carrying their
                        laptop in their bike pack?

                        I mean, the possibility of taking a tumble and trashing 700-800
                        dollars of equipment took me years to build up to worries me.

                        Helmets protect, skinned knees and elbows are bandagable and will
                        heal.................but how does one reasonably take care of the lap
                        top when biking?

                        -Traci
                        ("Bruised heads and broken bones, Majesty (are a minor
                        concern)."--Cardinal Richeleau, (w,stte), "The Three Musketeers")
                      • Phil Smith
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 14, 2008
                          I've fallen on my bike, skinned knees and elbows, broken the occasional rib: and my laptop (in a backpack, not in my pannier) (in a padded sleeve) has always done well.
                          And when I've fallen, it's because I was stoopid.
                          To avoid falling, don't be stoopid.
                          Phil

                          "Who says I like right angles? These are not my laws, these are not my rules." -Ani Difranco
                          "The harder they hit us, the louder we become, like the skin of a drum." -Michael Franti

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 14, 2008
                            --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Phil Smith <philrobertovich@...> wrote:

                            > I've fallen on my bike, skinned knees and elbows, broken the
                            occasional rib: and my laptop (in a backpack, not in my pannier) (in a
                            padded sleeve) has always done well.
                            > And when I've fallen, it's because I was stoopid.
                            > To avoid falling, don't be stoopid.
                            > Phil

                            Of the times I've really fallen off by bike, it was because of faulty
                            design (the rear gear wheel parted under strain when I was up on my
                            pedals) or because I've been hit by a car.

                            To say not to be stupid in those circumstances, one might conclude
                            that they should not be riding a bike ............. and I really don't
                            think that is the consideration we are looking for on the table, is it?

                            -Traci
                            ("Buck, I don't mean to criticize your strategy, but standing in the
                            middle of the street is STUPID!"--Dr. Theopolis, (wtte), "Buck Rogers
                            in the 25th Century")
                          • shiftgood2
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 14, 2008
                              --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "ensignaurora" <tappants@...> wrote:

                              > --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Vic Gedris" <vic@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:04 PM, John Mayson <john@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > I'm not as tempted to leave work at lunch to eat out or buy
                              stuff
                              > I don't really
                              > > > need.
                              > >
                              > > Oh! I love having my bike at work so that I *can* easily go out
                              for
                              > lunch.
                              > >
                              > > I work in the "downtown" of Mississauga, Ontario (a suburb of
                              Toronto)
                              > > and there's not much here within quick walking distance. A big
                              mall
                              > > foodcourt, an Indian buffet (I hit that one up frequently) and an
                              > > overpriced misc. food place in our building. A quick bike ride
                              > > extends my options significantly. I think today will be
                              Vietnamese.

                              > > The bike ride at lunch is always fun. Makes me want to not pack a
                              > > lunch more often. :)
                              > >
                              > > Welcome to the group.
                              > >
                              > > Cheers,
                              > > Vic
                              > >
                              > > --
                              > > Vic Gedris
                              > > Toronto, Ontario, Canada
                              > > http://vic.gedris.org/
                              > >

                              > Okay, I have a question on this: how does one approach carrying
                              their
                              > laptop in their bike pack?
                              >
                              > I mean, the possibility of taking a tumble and trashing 700-800
                              > dollars of equipment took me years to build up to worries me.
                              >
                              > Helmets protect, skinned knees and elbows are bandagable and will
                              > heal.................but how does one reasonably take care of the
                              lap
                              > top when biking?
                              >
                              > -Traci
                              > ("Bruised heads and broken bones, Majesty (are a minor
                              > concern)."--Cardinal Richeleau, (w,stte), "The Three Musketeers")
                              >
                              >********Answer to carring Laptops and fine art peices********
                              >
                              > For delicate instruments like a laptop or fine art pieces, a
                              > motto to remember is- patience and persistence. Other traffic does
                              >indeed make things hectic.
                              >The hecticness of doing things in traffic with cars and trucks
                              >pounding around can make you drop something when the same things
                              done without the latter are simple.
                              Why?
                              I wrote a paper on the different worlds >of the fast vehicle
                              and the slow vehicle (Actually their vibes >amount to an accident and
                              in relation to a vehicle that is slow looking-bumper stickered:"I
                              drive only 44mph or less." there is a transfer).
                              > Other than that, move your delicate instruments or artwork
                              >slowly and the trick is patience. Fine art and lap-tops won't fall
                              >out of your napsack on their own nor get crushed if cushioned with
                              >a cloth.

                            • Enci
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 15, 2008
                                > > Okay, I have a question on this: how does one approach carrying
                                > > their laptop in their bike pack?")
                                > >
                                > >********Answer to carring Laptops and fine art peices********
                                > >
                                > > For delicate instruments like a laptop or fine art pieces, a
                                > > motto to remember is- patience and persistence.

                                I carry my laptop with me quite a lot in my messenger bag and a lot
                                of my friends here in LA carry their laptops as well. I never
                                dropped anything nor did I hit anything with my bag, so I don't worry.

                                The only thing to remember when you carry your laptop, is to have
                                something between it and your back, otherwise you will hurt your spine.

                                Also, don't carry liquids in the same compartment as your laptop.

                                Happy riding,

                                Enci
                                323.697.7601
                                www.illuminateLA.com
                                www.EnciPerforms.com
                              • sail4free
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 18, 2008
                                  ==========
                                  Uh . . . just don't crash. I ride fairly aggressively and I can't remember the last time I crashed -- it was a long, Long time ago. Now if we want to talk crashing while snowboarding (I went nine weekends in a row last winter), that's a whole 'nother matter. But I wouldn't take a laptop snowboarding anyway. I HATE insurance companies but I suppose they offer policies for such things?
                                  ==========
                                  sail4free
                                  ==========

                                  > > I'm not as tempted to leave work at lunch to eat out or buy stuff
                                  I don't really
                                  > > need.
                                  >
                                  > Oh! I love having my bike at work so that I *can* easily go out for
                                  lunch.

                                  > I work in the "downtown" of Mississauga, Ontario (a suburb of Toronto)
                                  > and there's not much here within quick walking distance. A big mall
                                  > foodcourt, an Indian buffet (I hit that one up frequently) and an
                                  > overpriced misc. food place in our building. A quick bike ride
                                  > extends my options significantly. I think today will be Vietnamese.
                                  >
                                  > The bike ride at lunch is always fun. Makes me want to not pack a
                                  > lunch more often. :)
                                  >
                                  > Welcome to the group.
                                  >
                                  > Cheers,
                                  > Vic
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Vic Gedris
                                  > Toronto, Ontario, Canada
                                  > http://vic.gedris org/

                                  Okay, I have a question on this: how does one approach carrying their
                                  laptop in their bike pack?

                                  I mean, the possibility of taking a tumble and trashing 700-800
                                  dollars of equipment took me years to build up to worries me.

                                  Helmets protect, skinned knees and elbows are bandagable and will
                                  heal........ ......... but how does one reasonably take care of the lap
                                  top when biking?

                                  -Traci
                                  ("Bruised heads and broken bones, Majesty (are a minor
                                  concern)."-- Cardinal Richeleau, (w,stte), "The Three Musketeers")

                                • John Likeness
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 27, 2009
                                    Here are my profile answers;

                                    1. I do not presently own a car though I have owned cars previously.

                                    2. I have been car free for over 3 months.

                                    3. I decided to do away with my car when I realized that if I didn't have to support my car, I could quit my job! I have felt the tension and pressure from the job and commute drain from me.

                                    4. I have been inspired by the amount of money I don't have to spend, and by the health benefits I've accrued in a mere 90 days of bike riding! I've lost a pants size and a shirt size; I don't get winded as easily; I sleep better and I have fewer aches and pains. I also get to spend healthful time with my nephews; we bike all over the county. The down side of being car free--I have a mobility impaired parent who was dependent on me for rides, however, she has come to enjoy the independence she has gained by using public transit.

                                    5. For the most part the impact on my family has been positive, as noted above.

                                    6. The advantages I've discovered so far, along with the health benefits noted above, I've found time--time to be a part of my family and attend the kids games and practices, part of my community and local government, and time to indulge long differed hobbies and persue knowledge for the joy of it. I've also learned patience and time management both cycling and using the bus/train. The downside, so far, has really only amounted to dealing with drivers not sharing the road with bicyclists.

                                    7. Rather than recommending giving up the car to friends and family, I merely tell them what I've done in the course of conversation; tell them how I feel and let them draw their own conclusions. I do it that way because I've found nothing so annoying as an evangelist for anything--plant the seed and let it grow, rather than beat them into "conversion".

                                    8. The only adversity I've encountered so far has been a limit on how far from my home I can entertain notions of working. And that has turned out to be no adverse consequence at all. Financially, I've found a windfall, without car payments, insurance and gas and oil, I've found $350.00 not spent.

                                    9. As stated above, I've lost weight, gotten in better shape, and have more money with less work involved. I have time to do as I want, and I can actually say I am doing something to make the world a better place for my having been in it.

                                    10.In my ideal world the car would become an example and a monument to the pursuit of an idea to an absurd extreme.

                                    11. I'm happy to be a part of the future of our communities and to be an example for the upcoming generations.
                                    12. I live in Paso Robles, California, USA.