Re: [CF] Re: OT: Polyamory

  • John A. Ardelli
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
      On Jan 31, 2008, at 9:26 PM, fred_dot_u wrote:

      > Does [polyamory] mean having more than one bicycle built for two?

      ROTFLMAO! :P

      If that was the case, I wouldn't have marked this thread "off topic."
      ;)

      If you really want to know more:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamory

      John A. Ardelli
      http://pedalingprince.blogspot.com
    • AnnaLisa Wiley
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
        I have noticed that the gap between recreational bikers and commuters is
        starting overlap and merge. Since our long term goals are similar, I
        believe it is important to focus on what we have in common.

        I am trying to practice what I preach as Santa Rosa gets ready for the next
        Tour of California. I think I may be on the route this year. Maybe I'll
        watch all those tight buns... maybe I'll just look for a new route to the
        library. When jogging was in style, I rode a bike. Now that biking is in
        style, I still ride a bike but there is no way anyone is getting my fat old
        butt into one of those neon monkey suits!

        -AnnaLisa

      • Tom Frost Jr.
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
          --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "John A. Ardelli" <gelfling@...>
          wrote:

          > On Dec 5, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Tom Frost Jr. wrote:
          >
          > > "Bicycle clubs" typically consist largely of yuppies whose bikes
          > > travel most of their miles, secure but at an illegal speed, in
          their
          > > Thule cartop racks.
          >
          > "Typically," yes, but:
          >
          > > Unless you already happen to know about a club that's an
          exception to
          > > that general rule . . .
          >
          > http://www.velocapebreton.com
          >
          > Though we DO have our "sporting" and "recreational" cyclists, we
          have
          > cyclists of ALL types in our ranks. When you get right down to it,
          > Velo Cape Breton is more of a social club of people who share a
          common
          > interest in cycling rather than a "bicycle club" in the traditional
          > sense. :)
          >
          > They're also strong advocates of increasing bicycling in Cape
          Breton,
          > which is a step in the right direction as well. ;)
          >
          > John A. Ardelli
          > http://pedalingprince.blogspot.com

          TF: My bad; there's probably no such thing as a "typical" bike club.

          Nor does being a "recreational" cyclist necessarily make one a member
          of the Thule car-top rack crowd nor any other such despised-by-the-
          CarFree-list-incrowd faction of the cycling community. For example,
          although my latest multi-day ride (a 170-mile loop deliberately timed
          to include last Friday's ice storm in Tioga County, N.Y.) arguably
          had no transportational purpose whatsoever and was therefore
          a "recreational" ride, I'd left all of my motor vehicles at home as
          usual and am therefore exempt from being considered a member of the
          Thule cartop rack crowd. Nor is it likely that anyone (other than
          perhaps Bob Matter) looking at the photo of me at the end of it
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CarFree/photos/view/785b?b=13 would
          think that I'm _any_ kind of "typical recreational" cyclist.

          Nor, for that matter, does even owning a Thule car-top rack
          necessarily make one a member of what I call the Thule car-top rack
          crowd. I actually do own a couple of Thule car-top racks! I got them
          in my flea market dealings years ago, but I've relatively recently
          thought of an appropriate-for-even-me use for one of them. Stay tuned
          for a report on my mounting of it when I get around to doing so.

          - Tom Frost Jr.