Keeping hands warm

  • Megan Wilson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
      Have you considered wearing mittens over your riding gloves? In super-low temperatures, I find that this solves almost all problems with frozen hands. I wear high-tech Thinsulate gloves with low-tech thick wool mittens over them, and I don't have any trouble with cold hands even when the temps hover near zero. I think finger mobility is overrated; I don't have any trouble with brakes or gears while wearing mittens. You might look a little goofy... but then, anyone who's riding a bike in the middle of winter is considered by most people to be goofy anyway. :)

      Ooh, a question for all of you intrepid winter cyclists - does anyone have one of those "commuter" panniers that doubles as a shoulder bag? I'm looking for something to carry my laptop back & forth and wondering if that would do. And mostly, I'm tired of hauling around my awkward panniers by the little handle on top; I need something I can pull off the bike and sling over a shoulder for shopping or dashing into work. Any suggestions for a particular style that you like?

      Thanks! Happy riding!

      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "John A. Ardelli" <gelfling@...> wrote:> The weird thing about this, though, was that my fingers were the only> part of me that was cold. On the rest of me, I wore only that winter> helmet cover, a scarf over my ears, a spring jacket, jeans andordinary> socks and sneakers. Even with so little protection, the rest of me was> perfectly fine; only my fingers succumbed. This was all the more> strange when you take into account that I was wearing the winterriding> gloves I got for Christmas.>> Maybe I should look into a set of electric gloves. Or maybe something> in angora.
    • John A. Ardelli
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
        On Jan 31, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Megan Wilson wrote:

        > Have you considered wearing mittens over your riding gloves? In
        > super-low temperatures, I find that this solves almost all problems
        > with frozen hands. I wear high-tech Thinsulate gloves with low-tech
        > thick wool mittens over them, and I don't have any trouble with cold
        > hands even when the temps hover near zero.

        That might work, except that your hands must be significantly smaller
        than mine; I can't imagine a pair of mittens that would fit over my
        hands while they're ALSO IN GLOVES. ;)

        John A. Ardelli
        http://pedalingprince.blogspot.com
      • alicemcleod
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
          Maybe you could get someone to knit you a custom pair? :D

          - Alice (in Montreal now, but originally from Halifax!)

          --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com

          Megan Wilson wrote:
          > > Have you considered wearing mittens over your riding gloves?
          [...]

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
            On Feb 1, 2008, at 1:35 AM, alicemcleod wrote:

            > Maybe you could get someone to knit you a custom pair? :D

            I thought of that; I probably would've gotten Riin to knit me a pair in
            the past. Unfortunately, with her departure, there's no one in my life
            right now who knits that I'd know well enough to ask to do such a
            project... :/

            John A. Ardelli
            http://pedalingprince.blogspot.com
          • JOSEPH J KNASINSKI
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
              I've used gloves called lobster gloves. They are a design with a thumb and and two "finger" sections where the first and second fingers and the third and fourth fingers share a section. I can wear a Thinsulate type glove under mine if it's really cold. The lobster gloves are warmer than any other gloves I've tried and give me more dexterity than mittens.

              Joseph

            • hillel_zs
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
                --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "John A. Ardelli" <gelfling@...> wrote:

                > That might work, except that your hands must be significantly smaller
                > than mine; I can't imagine a pair of mittens that would fit over my
                > hands while they're ALSO IN GLOVES. ;)

                Take a look for hunting mittens that have a glove inside for
                the fingers. The mitten part can fold over the gloved fingers
                or be pulled back. Since they are for hunting, you can find
                them in blaze orange. I have been using a pair of these for
                the last three winters:
                http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=60970

                You can also look for military surplus mittens with glove liners:
                http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=411341&pn=3

                ---Hillel
              • Chris Weber
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Or try snowmobile mittens .I use large mittens on really cold rides .they work fine for my 3.5 mile ride to work .The other morning was the coldest ride ever for me -30 degrees wind chill ( that's American degrees)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
                    On Feb 1, 2008, at 2:32 PM, hillel_zs wrote:

                    > Take a look for hunting mittens that have a glove inside for the
                    > fingers. The mitten part can fold over the gloved fingers or be pulled
                    > back. Since they are for hunting, you can find them in blaze orange. I
                    > have been using a pair of these for the last three winters:
                    > http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=60970

                    Oh bloody hell! Those are my DREAM mittens, complete with the blaze
                    orange visibility! But I go there and they're freakin' SOLD OUT!
                    AAARRRGGGGHHH!!! :P

                    Yep... my luck... *SIGH*

                    I don't suppose anyone knows where ELSE I might find those (those EXACT
                    ones; they're too perfect).