Re: My Introduction

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2007
      Well Tom, I do appreciate that you took the time to reply to my
      post. I also appreciate the recommendations that you shared. I do
      not feel that I'm willing to live car free to the extent that it
      keeps me single. My outlook over that issue may change over time,
      but that's how I currently feel.

      As for urban over rural living, I need to have the use of a few acres
      of land, so that will be my deciding factor.

      Austin has a few co-housing groups or other types of intentional
      communities that may welcome ideas about carfree/carlight living.

      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frost Jr." <tomfrostjr@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Lee" <plain_farmer@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello everyone!
      > >
      > > I'm currently not living a car free or car light lifestyle, but I
      > am
      > > interested in doing so in the future. Also, since I'm not
      > currently
      > > car free/light, I will give personalized introduction of myself.
      > >
      > > I'm a 27 year old single male that has become more invironmetally
      > > concious over the years. I've also become quite a bit frugal.
      > > Another issue that motivates me to live car free is that I've
      > > developed in interest in voluntary simplicity in the last couple
      of
      > > years for reasons other than being financially conservative. I
      > > believe that our "time" is extremely valuable, and know that I'd
      > > prefer to spend it in certain ways. Also, I desire to feel
      closer
      > > the natural world.
      > >
      > > That's a very short description of me and why I'm interested in
      car
      > > free living. Nevertheless, there are some percieved obstacles
      that
      > > feel may hold me back from living car free. Without question, I
      > will
      > > strive to live car light at the very least.
      > >
      > > The first issue is that I desire to live on a small farm or in an
      > > intentional community with sufficient enough land for
      > > gardening/farming. In most cases, much of the affordable land is
      > in
      > > small towns or rural areas. I've lived in rural areas before,
      and
      > > believe that it would be extremely hard to have much social
      > > interaction or raise children while living car free in a rural
      > area.
      > > I do believe that a medium to large intentional commuty could
      > provide
      > > a great place for what I'm looking for, but I'm not 100% sure
      that
      > > will join such a place.
      > >
      > > Second, the lack of social interaction in a rural area leads me
      > > the second obstacle that I see. Basically, I'm single, and I
      > desire
      > > to have a partner in the future. I feel(which may be untrue)
      that
      > > living car free in a rural area would limit my social
      activities.It
      > > would likely categorize me as an undesirable mate in the eyes of
      > many
      > > women. Now, I've tried to view this side effect of living car
      free
      > > as a "filter" of sorts, as it would reduce the chance of me
      dating
      > > incompatible partners that did not share my values about
      finances,
      > > the environment, etc... , but I still see this as a major issue
      for
      > > me.
      >
      > TF: I've found that that's not a major issue as long as we're
      willing
      > to stay single for life if necessary. "In order to succeed, you
      must
      > be willing to fail." - some wise author.
      >

      > > Last, I must admit that I'm considering moving to a city such as
      > > Austin, Texas. The cost of living is high, but I may be able to
      > use
      > > decernment to find deals. Also, Austin has bicycle clubs and
      other
      > > people with car free interest,
      >
      > TF: "Bicycle clubs" typically consist largely of yuppies whose
      bikes
      > travel most of their miles, secure but at an illegal speed, in
      their
      > Thule cartop racks. Unless you already happen to know about a club
      > that's an exception to that general rule, look elsewhere
      > than "bicycle clubs" for meeting people with transportational
      cycling
      > interest.
      >
      > I like your rural option better (but then I guess that's because
      I'm
      > biased by the fact that that's where I live). Just beware of the
      > rural "carfree" if you meet any of them! They've been one of the
      > biggest impediments to my agenda of car-lightness. These more-
      carfree-
      > than-thous (who, when they get away from urban/suburban-oriented
      > lists such as this and get out here in Red Meat America, find that
      > their beloved public cage transportation isn't available) have made
      > me take my motor vehicles down off of the blocks that I'd had them
      up
      > on, many times, by always wanting to sponge a ride to the store or
      > the welfare office.
      >

      > > P.S. I'm currently driving a 4 cyl S-10 pickup,
      >
      > TF: Uh-oh, a Chevy; I've been advocating boycotting that outfit
      ever
      > since the early '90s when it led the way in ramming stupid daytime
      > running lights down our throat. Oh well; just unhook them, and that
      > will make it more fuel-efficient than Al Gore's city man's farm
      > truck.
      >
      > - TF

    • John A. Ardelli
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2008
        On Dec 2, 2007, at 9:52 PM, Lee wrote:

        > Austin has a noticable amount of open-minded people with other
        > alternative interest that I have, such as polyamory . . .

        Wow! Nice to see another polyamorous person on a non-polyamory group.
        I don't see that often.

        Actually, come to think of it, this is the first time I HAVE seen it,
        unless you count my current life partner and former second life
        partner, and even they rarely mention the word directly in groups... ;)

        John A. Ardelli
        http://pedalingprince.blogspot.com
      • John A. Ardelli
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2008
          On Dec 5, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Tom Frost Jr. wrote:

          > "Bicycle clubs" typically consist largely of yuppies whose bikes
          > travel most of their miles, secure but at an illegal speed, in their
          > Thule cartop racks.

          "Typically," yes, but:

          > Unless you already happen to know about a club that's an exception to
          > that general rule . . .

          http://www.velocapebreton.com

          Though we DO have our "sporting" and "recreational" cyclists, we have
          cyclists of ALL types in our ranks. When you get right down to it,
          Velo Cape Breton is more of a social club of people who share a common
          interest in cycling rather than a "bicycle club" in the traditional
          sense. :)

          They're also strong advocates of increasing bicycling in Cape Breton,
          which is a step in the right direction as well. ;)

          John A. Ardelli
          http://pedalingprince.blogspot.com
        • fred_dot_u
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 31, 2008
            Does this mean having more than one bicycle built for two?

            --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "John A. Ardelli" <gelfling@...> wrote:

            > On Dec 2, 2007, at 9:52 PM, Lee wrote:
            >
            > > Austin has a noticable amount of open-minded people with other
            > > alternative interest that I have, such as polyamory . . .
            >
            > Wow! Nice to see another polyamorous person on a non-polyamory group.
            > I don't see that often.
            >
            > Actually, come to think of it, this is the first time I HAVE seen it,
            > unless you count my current life partner and former second life
            > partner, and even they rarely mention the word directly in groups...
            ;)

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
              On Jan 31, 2008, at 9:26 PM, fred_dot_u wrote:

              > Does [polyamory] mean having more than one bicycle built for two?

              ROTFLMAO! :P

              If that was the case, I wouldn't have marked this thread "off topic."
              ;)

              If you really want to know more:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamory

              John A. Ardelli
              http://pedalingprince.blogspot.com
            • AnnaLisa Wiley
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
                I have noticed that the gap between recreational bikers and commuters is
                starting overlap and merge. Since our long term goals are similar, I
                believe it is important to focus on what we have in common.

                I am trying to practice what I preach as Santa Rosa gets ready for the next
                Tour of California. I think I may be on the route this year. Maybe I'll
                watch all those tight buns... maybe I'll just look for a new route to the
                library. When jogging was in style, I rode a bike. Now that biking is in
                style, I still ride a bike but there is no way anyone is getting my fat old
                butt into one of those neon monkey suits!

                -AnnaLisa

              • Tom Frost Jr.
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
                  wrote:

                  > On Dec 5, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Tom Frost Jr. wrote:
                  >
                  > > "Bicycle clubs" typically consist largely of yuppies whose bikes
                  > > travel most of their miles, secure but at an illegal speed, in
                  their
                  > > Thule cartop racks.
                  >
                  > "Typically," yes, but:
                  >
                  > > Unless you already happen to know about a club that's an
                  exception to
                  > > that general rule . . .
                  >
                  > http://www.velocapebreton.com
                  >
                  > Though we DO have our "sporting" and "recreational" cyclists, we
                  have
                  > cyclists of ALL types in our ranks. When you get right down to it,
                  > Velo Cape Breton is more of a social club of people who share a
                  common
                  > interest in cycling rather than a "bicycle club" in the traditional
                  > sense. :)
                  >
                  > They're also strong advocates of increasing bicycling in Cape
                  Breton,
                  > which is a step in the right direction as well. ;)
                  >
                  > John A. Ardelli
                  > http://pedalingprince.blogspot.com

                  TF: My bad; there's probably no such thing as a "typical" bike club.

                  Nor does being a "recreational" cyclist necessarily make one a member
                  of the Thule car-top rack crowd nor any other such despised-by-the-
                  CarFree-list-incrowd faction of the cycling community. For example,
                  although my latest multi-day ride (a 170-mile loop deliberately timed
                  to include last Friday's ice storm in Tioga County, N.Y.) arguably
                  had no transportational purpose whatsoever and was therefore
                  a "recreational" ride, I'd left all of my motor vehicles at home as
                  usual and am therefore exempt from being considered a member of the
                  Thule cartop rack crowd. Nor is it likely that anyone (other than
                  perhaps Bob Matter) looking at the photo of me at the end of it
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CarFree/photos/view/785b?b=13 would
                  think that I'm _any_ kind of "typical recreational" cyclist.

                  Nor, for that matter, does even owning a Thule car-top rack
                  necessarily make one a member of what I call the Thule car-top rack
                  crowd. I actually do own a couple of Thule car-top racks! I got them
                  in my flea market dealings years ago, but I've relatively recently
                  thought of an appropriate-for-even-me use for one of them. Stay tuned
                  for a report on my mounting of it when I get around to doing so.

                  - Tom Frost Jr.