CACACAcold ride

  • chris weber
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2007
      How many people rode their bicycle into work this morning ?
      How many of you live in the cold ?
      My son and I rode our family car ( tandem bicycle ) in this morning . It was 1 degree out and we rode into the wind . I thought I had enough layers on him , but I guess we were a couple short . I ended up putting my wind breaker on him backwards with the hood covering his face . Am I a bad Dad for putting him through this ?

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2007
        Chris wrote:
        How many people rode their bicycle into work this morning ? How many of
        you live in the cold ? My son and I rode our family car ( tandem bicycle )
        in this morning . It was 1 degree out and we rode into the wind .

        It depends where you are -- here in Vancouver BC, it was 1 degree as well
        (Celsius), with frost, and it was fine. If you mean 1 degree on the old
        (F) scale, that could be very cold, and the wind would be brutal. A
        balaclava would be in order for me, more so for a child I would guess

        (in your subject line, maybe the CA = Canada?)
      • AnnaLisa Wiley
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 2007
          Dear "Bad Dad,"

          I'm sure your children will say you are a "bad dad" for
          making them pick up their rooms and help with household chores as well. If
          he didn't get frostbitten or sick, I wouldn't worry about it. Kids are
          resilient and next time, he'll insist on more layers. I'm assuming that if
          he is old enough to ride a tandem bike with you, he is also old enough to
          dress himself. In short, it's a good lesson for him. Giving him your
          jacket, shows you to be a loving, compassionate parent.

          Each of us has our own parenting style. I believed it was my
          responsibility to prepare my children to care for themselves. They said I
          was mean. Six months after moving out, my daughter said, "Well Mom, now I
          know why you were so tough on me." Life isn't easy. Children need parents
          they can depend on. Sometimes that means letting them learn harsh lessons.

          So, no, I don't think you are a "bad dad."

          Blessings, AnnaLisa

        • hillel_zs
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 9, 2007
            --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, chris weber <beginingin2003@...> wrote:

            > How many people rode their bicycle into work this morning ?
            > How many of you live in the cold ?
            > My son and I rode our family car ( tandem bicycle ) in this
            morning . It was 1 degree out and we rode into the wind . I thought I
            had enough layers on him , but I guess we were a couple short . I
            ended up putting my wind breaker on him backwards with the hood
            covering his face . Am I a bad Dad for putting him through this ?

            That is 1C, is it? That's great! No, you are not a "bad dad", but
            beware of others who would think so. It just takes one idiot to call
            the county child and family services about how you are torturing your
            kids to cause you trouble, regardless if they are right or not.
            Does your son think this is somehow torture, or does he enjoy the ride?

            This will be my third NE Ohio winter of daily bicycle commuting. The
            coldest it was last week was 12F one morning. So far, just a thin
            base layer top, wicking t-shirt, and rain jacket on top and running
            tights with rain pants are enough. Add to that super thick Swedish
            military wool socks and Answer Kashmir cycling snow boots and Guide
            Gear shooting mittens where the mitten part can fold back to gloved
            fingers. Fleece-lined neoprene facemask and hood from the rain jacket
            on my head. The people at work were yelling at me that I must be
            freezing when I was cooking by then. (I have a heli-skiing snowsuit
            for when it gets super cold, used just one day last year at wind
            chills below -20F.)

            Sometimes you might be nice and toasty due to working hard while the
            kid is not working up the heat and is sitting there freezing. There
            have been some posts about the virtues of layering, but remember that
            layering also has a couple of gotchas. Make sure that there is an
            outer wind blocking layer - it does more good than just piling on the
            warm fuzzy layers. Also, if you can get your son to work a little
            harder and generate some heat on his own, he could be soaking up the
            layers with sweat before he realizes enough to tell you to stop and
            take off some layers and then freezing even worse from the wind. In
            fact, his natural reaction in such a situation would be to tell you he
            is cold and ask for more layers.

            Layers can sometimes fool you about what is going on. When I started
            winter cycling, I used a layer of a thin wicking fleece sweatshirt and
            jogging pants between a regular cycling t-shirt and tights and the
            rain shell when it was more than a few degrees below freezing. In
            single digit F temperatures, I felt nice and warm, but apparently the
            sweat was traveling out through the wicking layers but freezing before
            it could get out the vents in the outer rain shell. It is real freaky
            to have a pile of frosty ice fall out onto the floor when you take off
            the rain shell. Great way to scare the coworkers.

            Hope this helps.
            ---Hillel
          • chris weber
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 9, 2007
              Thank You to all that responded to my post about my cold ride with my son. I should note that I live in Wisconsin USA ,so it was 1 degree Fahrenheit . We were riding into about a 10 mph wind so with the wind chill it was .............. cold . My son actually had two balaclavas on and ski goggles. I wonder if the balaclavas being tight prevented his face from being warm ,the same way tight gloves or shoes stop that warm air space around your body ? I believe I have found a solution for his cold face a Down Filled Face Masks With Full Nose Coverage http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=890 I checked with him first to See if he would wear it . He was very enthusiastic .We will be quite a site when he is wearing that with ski goggles.
              My son is 11 years old , He doesn't mind riding in the cold with me on our tandem . On Thursday mornings I have to drop him off so we take the tandem instead of separate bikes .When weather conditions are cold or wet he prefers to take the tandem over one of his own bikes.
              I must admit my biggest challenge with living car free is with my son . So far I have done OK even when I have to drop him off by his moms in the rain with his electric guitar ,keeping it safe and dry along the way.He doesn't yet mind my no car lifestyle. I fear the day when he becomes a teenager and wants to switch to cars.

              Car Free as long as I can
              Chris Weber

            • hillel_zs
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 9, 2007
                --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, chris weber <beginingin2003@...> wrote:

                > I believe I have found a solution for his cold face
                > a Down Filled Face Masks With Full Nose Coverage
                > http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=890

                Wow, now he can look like Gonzo from the Muppets!

                Seriously, he will probably be sweating buckets in that thing
                while riding. Try looking for a mask with a neoprene outer layer
                that will block the wind. Take a look at www.llbean.com and
                search for "neofleece" for a good example. If it gets too cold
                for that, add a thin wool baclava (you can find these in military
                surplus) underneath. Much more effective than piling on the warmth.

                Remember, if he is riding any more than a few minutes, he is
                going to have to be able to get a drink bottle or hose in there
                at some point.

                Now, could he help convince my 11yo son to ride in those conditions?

                ---Hillel
              • Kathryn
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 9, 2007
                  Chris,

                  I grew up in Wisconsin, and I remember those temperatures. I remember
                  enjoying the winter weather as a kid. I used to go to an outdoor ice
                  skating rink in below zero weather for hours on end when I was 7 or 8 years
                  old -- and I remember walking home from school on many cold days. It was
                  cold -- but hardly something that was bad for me!

                  At 11 years old, I think your son is old enough to be able to communicate
                  with you -- and be educated about what it means to be too cold. What if
                  together you researched signs of frostbite and tips for winter cycling -- so
                  he could learn himself how to dress and how to recognize if he really is too
                  cold? You also might talk openly with him about your decision to live
                  without a car and why it's important to you -- and see what he thinks? 11 is
                  such a great age. I have a feeling that being able to be a part of your
                  decision-making process and learning more about why you're making these
                  decisions might make him feel very important in your eyes! It also might
                  help instill in him some of your values -- so you can perhaps live car-free
                  longer than you think.

                  Kate.

                  On Dec 9, 2007 8:11 AM, chris weber <beginingin2003@...> wrote:

                  > Thank You to all that responded to my post about my cold ride with my
                  > son. I should note that I live in Wisconsin USA ,so it was 1 degree
                  > Fahrenheit . We were riding into about a 10 mph wind so with the wind chill
                  > it was .............. cold . My son actually had two balaclavas on and ski
                  > goggles. I wonder if the balaclavas being tight prevented his face from
                  > being warm ,the same way tight gloves or shoes stop that warm air space
                  > around your body ? I believe I have found a solution for his cold face a
                  > Down Filled Face Masks With Full Nose Coverage
                  > http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=890 I checked with him
                  > first to See if he would wear it . He was very enthusiastic .We will be
                  > quite a site when he is wearing that with ski goggles.
                  > My son is 11 years old , He doesn't mind riding in the cold with me on our
                  > tandem . On Thursday mornings I have to drop him off so we take the tandem
                  > instead of separate bikes .When weather conditions are cold or wet he
                  > prefers to take the tandem over one of his own bikes.
                  > I must admit my biggest challenge with living car free is with my son . So
                  > far I have done OK even when I have to drop him off by his moms in the rain
                  > with his electric guitar ,keeping it safe and dry along the way.He doesn't
                  > yet mind my no car lifestyle. I fear the day when he becomes a teenager and
                  > wants to switch to cars.
                  >
                  > Car Free as long as I can
                  > Chris Weber

                  Kathryn Pope
                  Bridge Program Director/ Writing Instructor
                  Phone: (310) 947-3796
                  www.thebridgeprogram.org

                • Alice McLeod
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 9, 2007
                    Hey there, Chris! I just want to say, my son is six weeks old and I'm
                    encouraged to hear about others who are managing car-free with kids!

                    My husband and I have never owned a car and never wanted to. We live
                    in a city with good public transportation now (Montreal, Canada) so
                    that helps. What with my kid being only six weeks old, I haven't
                    introduced him to the joys of bicycling yet, but he certainly has
                    plenty of experience already with buses and the subway! (He rode the
                    bus for the first time at the age of four and a half days.)

                    - Alice

                    On Dec 9, 2007 11:11 AM, chris weber <beginingin2003@...> wrote:

                    > Thank You to all that responded to my post about my cold ride with my son.
                    > I should note that I live in Wisconsin USA ,so it was 1 degree Fahrenheit .
                    > We were riding into about a 10 mph wind so with the wind chill it was
                    > .............. cold . My son actually had two balaclavas on and ski goggles.
                    > I wonder if the balaclavas being tight prevented his face from being warm
                    > ,the same way tight gloves or shoes stop that warm air space around your
                    > body ? I believe I have found a solution for his cold face a Down Filled
                    > Face Masks With Full Nose Coverage
                    > http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=890 I checked with him first
                    > to See if he would wear it . He was very enthusiastic .We will be quite a
                    > site when he is wearing that with ski goggles.
                    > My son is 11 years old , He doesn't mind riding in the cold with me on our
                    > tandem . On Thursday mornings I have to drop him off so we take the tandem
                    > instead of separate bikes .When weather conditions are cold or wet he
                    > prefers to take the tandem over one of his own bikes.
                    > I must admit my biggest challenge with living car free is with my son . So
                    > far I have done OK even when I have to drop him off by his moms in the rain
                    > with his electric guitar ,keeping it safe and dry along the way.He doesn't
                    > yet mind my no car lifestyle. I fear the day when he becomes a teenager and
                    > wants to switch to cars.
                    >
                    > Car Free as long as I can
                    > Chris Weber

                  • Lauren Cooper (DancesWithCars)
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 9, 2007
                      I'll bet when he's older it will become a funny and treasured memory.
                      How does he feel about it? Is he able to laugh about it yet?

                      Lauren

                      Be a better friend, newshound, and