How to safely transport an infant in a taxi?

  • alicemcleod
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2007
      Hi out there! It's been 4.5 years since I last posted to this list,
      and I've been living happily car-free all this time. But now I've got
      a dilemma, and I'm hoping to draw on the collective wisdom of this group.

      I had a baby 6 days ago. (Woohoo!) Now, I live in a city with a good
      bus and subway system, and we're comfortable taking the baby on public
      transit. But sometimes a cab seems necessary -- such as when the baby
      was 4 days old and we needed to take him to the hospital for a
      check-up, and meanwhile I'd lost a giant blood clot in the night and
      we were worried I might start hemorrhaging. (Baby and I are both fine
      now, btw!)

      We have a wrap for holding the baby (it's a long piece of cloth that
      the adult wraps around his/her torso and over the shoulders, and then
      tucks the baby into the front). When we took the cab, my husband had
      the baby on his front in the wrap. The wrap supports the baby's head
      sufficiently for walking, but my husband put his hand behind the
      baby's head to provide extra support against the stop-and-start motion
      of the car.

      However, the wrap is explicitly not a safe substitute for a carseat;
      if we'd been in a crash my husband almost certainly wouldn't have been
      able to keep a safe hold on the baby's head. For the whole 10 minute
      drive to the hospital all I could think about were the dire warnings
      I've read *everywhere* against taking a baby in a car without a proper
      carseat. I was a nervous wreck by the time we got there.

      So, does anyone out there have any experience in this area, or any
      advice on how to safely take an infant in a taxi?

      - Alice
    • AnnaLisa Wiley
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2007
        The new strollers have lift out car seats with a carry handle that doubles
        as a sun screen and roll bar. They seem very popular among the bus riders in
        our town. The child is nearly encased plastic and they appear to be solid
        enough that the bus could roll over and the child would not be harmed.

        Good luck