Re: [CF] Re: SUV Paper Delivery

  • jane.
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 1, 2007
      though this is going way off topic, i'd like to say that i was never doubting it to be descriptive; nor would i immediately label it "racist"; however, it seemed completely irrelevant to the rest of the story. had the kid been white i'm guessing the author of the post wouldn't have felt compelled to point that out, just as he didn't mention any other descriptor--height, weight, age, hair color, eye color, etc.--other than the color of his skin. just goes to illustrate that anglonormative taint that still holds fiercely on.

      AnnaLisa Wiley <carfree@...> wrote: Yes, I noticed the "black" kid reference, too, and thought it seemed a bit
      racist. It is a sad fact that there are those who are paid less due to
      their religion, color, sex, what have you.

      Where I live people who need dependable, hard working employees and are
      unwilling or unable to pay well, hire Mexican immigrants with poor English
      skills. As they increase their language skills, they demand better paying
      jobs. I don't have a problem with that. It is one of the reasons I have
      learned to speak Spanish. I am first generation American, myself and enjoy
      living in a culturally diverse area.

      I also do not have a problem paying children low wages for a few hours a
      week. My brother and I both worked for below minimum wage until we were old
      enough to demand more. It taught us the value of hard work.

      What I do have a problem with is the implication that its okay to pay
      someone less due to the color of his skin, her gender, their ethnic origins.
      That is not okay in my book.

      Let's remember that what Whitney wrote, occurred 20 years ago, and that the
      color reference may be just descriptive and that he and genuinely valued the
      child's contribution.

      -AnnaLisa

    • Lauren Cooper (DancesWithCars)
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 2, 2007
        >>> Let's remember that what Whitney wrote, occurred 20 years ago, and that
        the color reference may be just descriptive and that he and genuinely
        valued the child's contribution.
        <<<

        I second that. Whitney most certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt
        before anyone goes bashing him.

        Lauren

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Whitney Turner
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 3, 2007
          At 06:02 PM 11/2/2007, Lauren wrote:

          >the color reference may be just descriptive and that he and genuinely
          >valued the child's contribution.
          ><<<
          >
          >I second that. Whitney most certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt
          >before anyone goes bashing him.
          >
          >Lauren

          Thanks Lauren!!

          I have to admit that as I swept Memory Lane off onto the keyboard I
          did use the word "black" descriptively - the distribution facility
          was located in the heart of a "bad" neighborhood (drugs,
          prostitution, and occasional murder....oh, yeah, and it was 100%
          "black"), and there weren't any "white" kids to hire. I was quite
          grateful at the time that there was *anyone* willing to get up at
          4:00 to help us out, and I paid my helpers the same rate everyone
          else paid theirs. I did help them out in other small ways from time
          to time, and treat them as human beings, which set me apart from a
          few of the drivers, but most of the delivery drivers were pretty
          egalitarian in their outlook.

          Having thus spilled my brain onto the screen, I then took a short
          break and came back to re-read. I caught a couple typos, and
          pondered erasing the racial reference.....but decided to leave it in
          primarily to see how bad the knees would jerk, and for the most part
          it's not too bad! I am VERY pleasantly surprised! Jane and AnnaLisa
          might wish to re-examine their approach to prejudice and
          stereotyping, but aside from that I was pleasantly surprised.

          Thanks!
          Whitney

          ps - I'm still not convinced I could do a 200 ppr. route by bike, no
          matter how big the trailer.... ;-)