parking lots vs climate. food. clean water

  • De Clarke
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 14, 2007
      http://news.uns.purdue.edu/x/2007b/070911PijanowskiParking.html

      From suburban driveways to the sprawling lots that spring up
      around big retailers, Americans devote lots of space to parking
      spaces -- a growing land-use trend that plays a role in
      heating up urban areas and adding to water pollution, according
      to a recent study.

      Purdue University researchers surveyed the total area devoted
      to parking in a midsize Midwestern county and found that
      parking spaces outnumbered resident drivers 3-to-1 and
      outnumbered resident families 11-to-1. The researchers found
      the total parking area to be larger than 1,000 football fields,
      or covering more than two square miles.

      ..

      Pijanowski said that his results are cause for concern, in
      part, because parking lots present environmental and economic
      problems. They are, for instance, a major source of water
      pollution, he said.

      Tippecanoe County parking lots turn out about 1,000 pounds of
      heavy metal runoff annually, said Purdue professor Bernard
      Engel, who used a computer model to estimate changes in water-
      borne runoff caused by land-use changes. Engel, head of the
      Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, said
      lots are troublesome because pollutants collect on their non-
      absorbent surfaces and are then easily carried away by rain.

      ..

      Pijanowski counted 355,000 parking spaces in Tippecanoe County,
      home to about 155,000 residents. Farmers could produce 250,000
      bushels of corn in the same space taken up by county parking
      lots, he said.

      [.. more ...]

      de

      :Mail: de@... | Your planet's immune system is trying to get rid :
      :Web: www.ucolick.org | of you. --Kurt Vonnegut :
      :1024D/B9C9E76E | F892 5F17 8E0A F095 05CD EE8B D169 EDAA B9C9 E76E:
    • dubluth
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2007
        3 spaces per registered driver is low. I expect its 4 or more. The
        researcher noted that he didn't count them all.

        Land use codes in the county probably dictate the provision of most of
        those spaces.

        As NYC mostly predated minimum parking requirements it hasn't suffered
        under their burden.