Carfree for three years.

  • Sam Wilson
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2007
      Hi all,

      I'm new to this group, so hullo!

      I'm just wondering whether anyone else on this list has decided to go
      COMPLETELY carfree? I did so, three years ago -- I haven't stepped
      foot in a car since. It makes for some interesting conversations,
      mainly, and a little bit of awkwardness around friends who offer me
      lifts sometimes (I ride or walk or catch buses, and never have any
      trouble getting anywhere). It 'limits' what I can do and where I can
      go, or so I'm told: I find I can do everything that I want.

      The biggest issue I am facing is this: I've just got a new job, in a
      rather conservative IT company, and I know they're going to ask me to
      go in a car one of these days, and I just don't know how to broach the
      subject! I just get the impression that they'll think me utterly
      weird, and make things difficult. Has anyone had any experience with
      this sort of thing?

      Thanks! And hurrah to no-cars! :-)

      -- Sam.
    • Sahar
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
        Great on being totally car free. I don't own one but use taxi's sometimes cos the buses aren't wheelchair accessible for my daughter (3 with cerebral palsy). Oh, and we have to use hospital transport to get to the hospital and back.
        As for your company, tell them you have terrible travel sickness and vomit profusely everytime you step into a car.

        Shyrley

        Sam Wilson <sam@...> wrote:
[...]

        Problem? Email: CarFree-owners@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        "Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none; and whoever has food must do likewise."
        Luke 3:11

      • Sam Wilson
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
          Ha! I like the idea of telling them I've travel sickness! "I'm sorry," I
          shall say, "I can't come with you lest I spoil your upholstery." And I'll
          remain behind, and have a little nap.

          But, seriously, I have taken heart at the existance and kind words of
          groups like this one, and this morning sent out an email explaining
          myself. A little bit of disbelief, a little bit of "what about
          motorbikes?", and one chap who told me that he understood, because his
          wife doesn't like raw celery. So, mostly just understanding and
          acceptance -- or, acceptance, at least. Which is nice.

          Did anyone here hear about the Chaps (as in, from the Chap Olympics, I
          think) who went, be-tweeded, to the Tate Modern, and stomped around
          chanting "Truth is Beauty! Beauty is Truth!" as a protest against Modern
          Art? Well, I am coming to think that what I like most about the carfree
          movement is the fact that it is all about (or, lots about, anyway)
          re-introducing beauty into the everyday. Roads are ugly; parks are nice.
          Do away with cars, and everyone can be a short walk from where they're
          going at all times; I'd far rather stroll through greenery and growing
          food to get to work, than sit on the freeway trying like buggery to lose
          myself in a novel!

          But perhaps I'd better get back to work and stop rambling... most humble
          appologies if I am... but I do remain

          Most car-lessly yours,
          Sam Wilson.

          On Sun, September 2, 2007 4:59 am, Sahar wrote:
          > Great on being totally car free. I don't own one but use taxi's sometimes
          > cos the buses aren't wheelchair accessible for my daughter (3 with
          > cerebral palsy). Oh, and we have to use hospital transport to get to the
          > hospital and back.
          > As for your company, tell them you have terrible travel sickness and
          > vomit profusely everytime you step into a car.
          >
          > Shyrley
          >
          > Sam Wilson <sam@...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I'm new to this group, so hullo!
          >
          > I'm just wondering whether anyone else on this list has decided to go
          > COMPLETELY carfree? I did so, three years ago -- I haven't stepped
          > foot in a car since. It makes for some interesting conversations,
          > mainly, and a little bit of awkwardness around friends who offer me
          > lifts sometimes (I ride or walk or catch buses, and never have any
          > trouble getting anywhere). It 'limits' what I can do and where I can
          > go, or so I'm told: I find I can do everything that I want.
          >
          > The biggest issue I am facing is this: I've just got a new job, in a
          > rather conservative IT company, and I know they're going to ask me to
          > go in a car one of these days, and I just don't know how to broach the
          > subject! I just get the impression that they'll think me utterly
          > weird, and make things difficult. Has anyone had any experience with
          > this sort of thing?
          >
          > Thanks! And hurrah to no-cars! :-)
          >
          > -- Sam.
          >

          > Problem? Email: CarFree-owners@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > "Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none; and whoever
          > has food must do likewise."
          > Luke 3:11

          > Problem? Email: CarFree-owners@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Sahar
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2007
            Any persistent annoyers you could just retching at ;-)
            My daughter has brain damage and when she goes ina car starts yelling and yelling.An older lad with the same damage says its makes his brain go whirly and his eyes stop working (he's 11). She's alright on the bus and enjoys being pushed for miles in her wheelchair but we get people say 'how can you cope with a disabled child and no car?'

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2007
                I just finished reading a book that I think would be of interest to
                you and perhaps to many on CarFree.

                It's called Planetwalker, by John Francis.

                Francis was a young man in the San Francisco area in the early 70s
                when he saw the effect to the Bay of an oil spill. He decided to
                stop riding in motor vehicles as a response, as an expression of his
                awareness that all who use motor vehicles have some responsibility
                for the environmental effects of such spills.

                After a few years of walking instead of driving/passengering, he got
                so tired of having to explain to people why he did what he did, he
                also decided to stop talking. He ended up not talking for seventeen
                years and not riding in motor vehicles for more than 20 years!

                Some parts of his story are rather fantastic, and I know a fellow
                who knew Francis personally who thinks he's a bit off the deep end,
                but regardless, I found his story to be inspiring.

                To relate this directly to your situation, he indicates a surprising
                amount of acceptance by others as he proceeds with his decisions.
                He makes presentations to schools (using sign language or miming,
                and sometimes having a friend "translate" his miming), he even
                finishes college and proceeds on to both a Master's Degree and then
                later a Ph.D., all while not talking and not travelling in motor
                vehicles. The amount of acceptance he describes finding is rather
                inspiring, to me.

                Anyway, you (and others) might find it an enjoyable read.

                Sue
                Western Great Basin

                --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Wilson" <sam@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > I'm new to this group, so hullo!
                >
                > I'm just wondering whether anyone else on this list has decided to
                go
                > COMPLETELY carfree? I did so, three years ago -- I haven't stepped
                > foot in a car since. It makes for some interesting conversations,
                > mainly, and a little bit of awkwardness around friends who offer me
                > lifts sometimes (I ride or walk or catch buses, and never have any
                > trouble getting anywhere). It 'limits' what I can do and where I
                can
                > go, or so I'm told: I find I can do everything that I want.
                >
                > The biggest issue I am facing is this: I've just got a new job, in
                > rather conservative IT company, and I know they're going to ask me
                > go in a car one of these days, and I just don't know how to broach
                the
                > subject! I just get the impression that they'll think me utterly
                > weird, and make things difficult. Has anyone had any experience
                with
                > this sort of thing?
                >
                > Thanks! And hurrah to no-cars! :-)
                >
                > -- Sam.

              • Sahar
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2007
                  Saw an interview with him the other day and he now talks and rides (and owns) cars. Hedidn't say why he changed his mind.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 3, 2007
                    Yes, he described near the end of the book his decisions to begin
                    speaking again, first, and then a few years later to resume use of
                    motorized vehicles. He didn't offer detailed explanations about the
                    reasoning behind his decisions, just that they didn't seem to serve
                    him anymore, symbolically speaking. I would have liked to hear a
                    bit more about it from him. I admit I was disappointed when he
                    returned to cars, but I certainly can't say that his boycott was
                    pointless. Life today is full of all kinds of compromises,
                    realistically speaking, and he still held a much harder line than
                    nearly anyone else. As a friend on another list likes to
                    say, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

                    Sue
                    Western Great Basin

                    --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Sahar <bobalinga@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > can
                    > > go, or so I'm told: I find I can do everything that I want.
                    > >
                    > > The biggest issue I am facing is this: I've just got a new job,
                    in
                    > > rather conservative IT company, and I know they're going to ask
                    me
                    > > go in a car one of these days, and I just don't know how to
                    broach
                    > the
                    > > subject! I just get the impression that they'll think me utterly
                    > > weird, and make things difficult. Has anyone had any experience
                    > with
                    > > this sort of thing?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks! And hurrah to no-cars! :-)
                    > >
                    > > -- Sam.
                    > >

                    > Problem? Email: CarFree-owners@yahoogroups.com
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >

                    > "Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none; and

                  • John A. Ardelli
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 29, 2008
                      On Sep 1, 2007, at 12:08 AM, Sam Wilson wrote:

                      > I'm just wondering whether anyone else on this list has decided to go
                      > COMPLETELY carfree?

                      Well, I don't, nor have I EVER, owned a car. ;)

                      > It makes for some interesting conversations, mainly, and a little bit
                      > of awkwardness around friends who offer me lifts sometimes . . .

                      I used to get offers for lifts occasionally during severe weather,
                      particularly from my mother. After I rode to work in a few blizzards,
                      however, they finally got the hint that I can handle myself in severe
                      weather. ;)

                      I'll admit, though, that I have occasionally accepted rides if my bike
                      is somehow rendered out of commission. This is fairly rare, though, as
                      I always have good quality, reliable bikes. The last time I needed
                      ride was my own stupid fault for not bringing a spare tube or patch kit
                      and I found my front tire flat when I went to leave... :/

                      Actually, in that situation, I only accept a ride if I don't have the
                      time to spare to walk. Another time that happened (I was going though
                      some depression and wasn't thinking clearly this summer; I forgot my
                      patch kit and tubes more than usual this season :() when I had plenty
                      of time, I just popped the front wheel off, carried it home, fixed it,
                      carried it back in the next morning, popped it back onto the bike and
                      rode away at the end of the day. ;)

                      > I've just got a new job, in a rather conservative IT company, and I
                      > know they're going to ask me to go in a car one of these days, and I
                      > just don't know how to broach the subject!

                      Just say "thanks, but not thanks; I can get there."

                      > I just get the impression that they'll think me utterly weird, and
                      > make things difficult.

                      Weird is good; it distinguishes you from others. If they make things
                      difficult, well they're not very good friends, then; just stand firm.

                      John A. Ardelli
                      http://pedalingprince.blogspot.com
                    • John A. Ardelli
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 29, 2008
                        On Sep 3, 2007, at 4:59 AM, Sahar wrote:

                        > [W]e get people say 'how can you cope with a disabled child and no
                        > car?'

                        I get that a lot when I pull my first life partner Lisa around in her
                        trailer. :)

                        I'm going to go upload some pictures of us using it to the files area
                        so you can see, if you want.