Speeders moaning...again

  • Sahar
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      Once again, drivers moaning about speeding tickets. Answer...don't
      speed! We get the same here with drivers claiming its 'war on the
      motorist' and just a way to raise revenues. I just point out its a
      voluntary thing. If you don't speed you don't get fined. your choice.

      Had to cut n paste this one rather than post a link as my thingy
      wouldn't bring up the link.

      Speed Kills (Your Wallet): The Sneaky War on American Motorists
      by Ted Rall | Aug 1 2007 - 8:20am |
      article tools: email | print | read more Ted Rall

      NEW YORK--It was a beautiful afternoon in early autumn, and for an
      instant I mistook the brightly colored lights flashing in my rearview
      mirror for streaks of sunlight filtering through gently turning
      leaves. But only for an instant. Just past a curve on a steady
      downgrade a sign announced the end of the 55 mile-per-hour state
      speed limit and the beginning of the town 40. I hit the brakes but it
      was too late. That's the purpose of a speed trap. Sixty-two in a 40,
      the policeman said.

      Speeding tickets have always been a pain in the butt. You pay about
      $150, and if your insurance company chooses to be mean it uses the
      three fresh points on your license to justify a rate hike. In a
      recent legal transformation that has quietly gathered steam across
      the United States, however, getting caught speeding has become far
      more traumatic.

      A year before the incident related above, a state trooper had plucked
      me out of a cluster of vehicles on the Long Island Expressway,
      dinging me for 72 in a 55 (heavy volume had slowed traffic from its
      typical average of 80). That earned me a $185 fine plus six points--a
      point hike up from the long-standing three. A few months later the
      Department of Motor Vehicles sent me a letter notifying me that I
      owed an additional $300--bringing the total fine to $485--for
      a "driver responsibility assessment." The 2004 law establishing the
      additional fees was passed in greater secrecy than the USA Patriot
      Act; even this devourer of three newspapers a day hadn't heard of it.

      My second ticket brought another letter billing me a second $300
      driver responsibility assessment. But if I had plead guilty, New York
      would suspend my license for hitting the 12-point limit. I hired an
      attorney.

      I spent eight months and more than $2000 fighting the ticket in
      municipal court. My lawyers--I needed two--kept filing motions to
      delay my trial date until my cop would be away on vacation. Finally,
      the judge asked my attorneys what it would take to get my case off
      her docket. A deal was cut. I paid $850 in fines, plus the state
      assessment, and performed 25 hours of community service. I was
      allowed to pick between sorting trash at the recycling center and
      filing at the zoning board. You can guess which one I chose.

      Final tally for two speeding tickets: $3,935. No wonder so many
      people drive around with suspended licenses! They can't afford the
      fines.

      It helps to be a drug addict. When the 24-year-old son of President
      Gore got pulled over doing over 100 mph south of Los Angeles on July
      4, cops found pot and controlled pharmaceuticals--Vicodin, Xanax,
      Valium, Adderall and Soma--aboard his Prius. "He didn't have a
      prescription for any of those drugs," said Orange County Sheriff's
      spokesman Jim Amormino. Sentence: 90 days at a Malibu rehab clinic.
      If Al Gore III finishes the program, his arrest record will vanish--
      even though he has previous arrests for drugs and a DUI. "He had
      recently smoked marijuana, but it did not impair him enough that he
      was driving under the influence," said Amormino. Gore's fine: zero.

      Michigan charges $1,000 over the fine amount for driving 20 mph over
      the legal limit. New Jersey raises $130 million a year through
      supplemental state fines. Texas cashes in to the tune of $300
      million. Other states, including Florida, are considering similar
      laws. The War on Speederists has reached its fastest boil in
      Virginia, where the extra fines can run over $2,500. Exceeding the
      posted speed limit by 20 mph, for example, earns motorists a $200
      fine plus a $1,050 "civil remedial fee." In addition, reports the
      Washington Post, "drivers with points on their licenses--a speeding
      ticket usually earns four points--will be hit for $75 for every point
      above eight and $100 for having that many points in the first place."

      State legislators who sponsored Virginia's stiff new penalties say
      they're out to make the roads safer, but admit that their main
      objective is funding highway repairs. "My job as a delegate is to
      make people slow down and build some roads," said David Albo, a
      Republican state representative.

      It isn't just budget-mad Americans. Even the land of Mad Max and the
      Tasmanian Devil is getting tough on speeders.

      "Many people seem to believe that driving five, 10 or even 15
      kilometers per hour [three, six or nine mph] over the limit is
      acceptable," says Jim Cox, Infrastructure Minister for the Australian
      province of Tasmania. "For a pedestrian hit by a car, an additional
      [three mph] can literally mean the difference between life and
      death." Fines for speeding will be raised by 300 percent.

      OK, so speed kills. But when zealots like Cox say things like this--
      "research shows that even a one km/hr [six-tenths of one mile per
      hour] reduction in speed can result in a three per cent reduction in
      crashes"--you've got to wonder whether he's been smoking too much
      eucalyptus.

      Virginia courts are bracing for an onslaught of angry drivers forced
      to fight their tickets. "For someone who's living near the poverty
      line, or even making $30,000," said Fairfax attorney Todd G. Petit,
      draconian fees of over $1,000 have "a significant impact" that could
      lead to them losing their license and job. "It's basically the Lawyer
      Full Employment Act," chortled another happy member of the bar.

      My friends have learned from my experience. Since every violation
      brings you a single ticket away from license revocation, challenging
      them in court is the smart way to go.

      Though the correlation between speeding and highway fatality rates is
      well established, fining speeders more than drugged drivers is
      disproportionate to the social impact of the offense. On the other
      hand, there's no denying the deterrent effect. I pay a lot more
      attention to speed limit signs.
      _______
    • hillel_zs
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007

        > But only for an instant. Just past a curve on a steady
        > downgrade a sign announced the end of the 55 mile-per-hour
        > state speed limit and the beginning of the town 40. I hit
        > the brakes but it was too late. That's the purpose of a
        > speed trap. Sixty-two in a 40, the policeman said.

        Got to love the way he makes it sound like the sneaky ticketing
        of cars legitimately decelerating from the 55 to 40 mph limits.
        He was still going too fast for the 55mph zone before continuing
        into the 40mph zone.

        > Final tally for two speeding tickets: $3,935. No wonder so many
        > people drive around with suspended licenses! They can't afford the
        > fines.

        Amazing how simply not speeding would not be an option there.

        This article from NYC reminds me how shortly after being married, I
        attended the weddings of several of my wife's friends in NYC. These
        weddings tended to have separate seating for men and women, and I
        would routinely be seated with the groom's friends - mostly single -
        who all lived in NYC or the immediate area. When discussion at the
        table turned to driving, every single one of them considered their
        number of speeding tickets with pride, as if it indicated their
        driving experience and "skill" (i.e. ability to go fast, apparently
        a rare privilege for NYC drivers), while at the same time whining
        about the evil police out to get them for driving with such "skill".

        ---Hillel
      • Sahar
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
          This article from NYC reminds me how shortly after being married, I
          attended the weddings of several of my wife's friends in NYC. These
          weddings tended to have separate seating for men and women, and I
          would routinely be seated with the groom's friends - mostly single -
          who all lived in NYC or the immediate area. When discussion at the
          table turned to driving, every single one of them considered their
          number of speeding tickets with pride, as if it indicated their
          driving experience and "skill" (i.e. ability to go fast, apparently
          a rare privilege for NYC drivers), while at the same time whining
          about the evil police out to get them for driving with such "skill".

          ---Hillel

          And I bet they all considered themselves above average drivers who couldn't possibly be a threat to pedestrians or cyclists and if they did it was 'someelse's fault'

          The moral test of government is how it treats those who are in the dawn of life . . . the children; those who are in the twilight of life . . . the elderly; and those who are in the shadow of life . . . the sick . . . the needy . . . and the disabled.

          Hubert H. Humphrey

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
            >> I would routinely be seated with the groom's friends - mostly
            >> single - who all lived in NYC or the immediate area. When
            >> discussion at the table turned to driving, every single one
            >> of them considered their number of speeding tickets with
            >> pride, as if it indicated their driving experience and
            >> "skill" (i.e. ability to go fast, apparently a rare privilege
            >> for NYC drivers), while at the same time whining about the
            >> evil police out to get them for driving with such "skill".

            =v= A rare privilege in the 5 boroughs, but very commonplace
            in New Jersey. Actually the only New Yorkers I know who do any
            measurable amount of driving are the ones who visit relatives
            in Orthodox communities in N.J.

            =v= What gets me is the relentless cluelessness of those who
            floor it just as soon as they find an open road, since of
            course that's where "the evil police" are waiting for them.
            What kind of "skill" is that?