cycling to school

  • Simon Norton
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22 12:48 PM
      Shyrley, if there are other children in your son's school who have to make the
      same journey from the end of the off road track, how about trying to set up a
      "cycling bus" (the cycling equivalent of a walking bus) to cover this section of
      the route ? You could then see him as far as your own end of the off road track.
      Your daily mileage would thus reduce from 28 miles to no more than 4 miles.

      I don't know the ins and outs of cycling buses, or even whether any have been
      tried.

      I hope whatever you do won't put your son off making leisure trips by bus.

      Simon Norton
    • Sahar
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 22 1:26 PM
        Its a school of a few hundred, maybe 500. Out of them, I think maybe 3 are not driven to school, my son being one of them! I've been trying to get the school interested in 'leave your car at home' days and 'bike to school' week but its like banging my head against a 4x4!
        I even tried to do a survey amongst other parents to find out why they drove and could the school do anything positive to encourage less driving. And was asked to stop.

        Cycled with my lad to the school on Sunday and he did pretty well so he's gonna cycle one day a week to start and I'll go with him, chain my bike up at the school with his (no cycle parking there but the cathedral has some racks) and catch the bus home. Bus back into town at 3 for the 4pm chuck out and cycle back with him. For me the bus is free os we will save his bus fare :-)
        So, technically I'll be doing the school run ;-)

        Shyrley

        Simon Norton <S.Norton@...> wrote:
        Shyrley, if there are other children in your son's school who have to make the
        same journey from the end of the off road track, how about trying to set up a
        "cycling bus" (the cycling equivalent of a walking bus) to cover this section of
        the route ? You could then see him as far as your own end of the off road track.
        Your daily mileage would thus reduce from 28 miles to no more than 4 miles.

        I don't know the ins and outs of cycling buses, or even whether any have been
        tried.

        I hope whatever you do won't put your son off making leisure trips by bus.

        Simon Norton

        The moral test of government is how it treats those who are in the dawn of life . . . the children; those who are in the twilight of life . . . the elderly; and those who are in the shadow of life . . . the sick . . . the needy . . . and the disabled.

        Hubert H. Humphrey

      • Jim Gagnepain
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 23 9:30 PM
          My son cycles to school daily. On a nice day, usually there are 20-
          30 other bicycles in the racks.
          ----
          Jim Gagnepain
          http://www.OilFreeandHappy.com