Re: [CF] Car-sharing

  • Nigel
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 10 7:16 AM
      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Robert J. Matter" <rjmatter@...> wrote:

      > I'm curious what those times you need a car are.
      > That's something I hear all the time and when I ask I
      > often hear people say they need a car to go grocery
      > shopping or to pick up yada yada yada, most of which
      > can be done with a trailer or Xtracycle.
      >
      > -Bob Matter, celebrating 4 years of carfreedom in Chicagoland.

      I tend to agree with others that the above statement does appear to be
      a bit on the smug and sanctimonious side.

      My family's lifestyle is car-owning-free. We manage very well on a day-
      to-day basis. But there are times when hiring a car is the most
      obvious and economical method of transport available.

      For example: We have a aged relative living 130 miles away, who likes a
      visit from us occasionally. The available choices are: Public
      transport which would entail a combination of bus and train travel.
      Perfectly do-able, but the journey would take twice as long and cost
      three times as much as car hire and fuel for the four of us in the
      family. And as we are on a low income AND live in the real world, it
      makes perfect sense to go for the car hire. An added bonus is that we
      can make the visit as a day trip. Using public transport would entail
      an overnight stay, which even using the cheapest available bed &
      breakfast accommodation would be in the region of £20-£25 per head, per
      night - that's another £80-£100 on top of the train fares.

      So, Bob, you can yadayada all you like, but some of us have to make
      pragmatic decisions and go for the best choice available to us. Not
      ideal, I know, but the REAL WORLD is like that - we have to compromise
      to get by.