Re: [CF] Critical Mass Jumps The Shark

  • Helen Deborah Vecht
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2007
      William Volk <bvolk@...>typed

      > This is inexcusable.

      > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/04/BAGF7P12RN23.DTL

      It differs wildly from this: Press release from SFBC
      <http://www.sfbike.org/download/press/CriticalMass.SFBC.pdf>.

      An ugly incident though.

      --
      Helen D. Vecht: helenvecht@...
      Edgware.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2007
        >> This is inexcusable.
        http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/04/BAGF7P12RN23.DTL

        =v= You'd be better off subjecting gossip columns to greater
        scrutiny. If you look past the inflammatory melodrama to the
        factoids they present, you'd have noticed that they don't make
        any sense, nor are they even internally consistent.

        =v= What actually happpened is that the *motorist* put her own
        children (and other children in the car) at risk by driving into
        a group of bicyclists, hitting one, and then attempting to flee
        the scene.

        > It differs wildly from this: Press release from SFBC
        http://www.sfbike.org/download/press/CriticalMass.SFBC.pdf

        =v= Yes, and even that's a bit too polite to tell the full
        story. More facts have been coming to light all week, the
        most amazing one being that one of the gossip columnists was
        *looking* for an incident before the ride even happened:

        http://www.sfbg.com/blogs/politics/2007/04/demonizing_bicyclists_1.html#comment-334

        | Phil Matier called me last Friday afternoon to ask how big
        | big & disruptive Critical Mass was going to be. As always, I
        | responded that b/c the SFBC does not organize C. Mass, I had
        | no earthly idea what would happen. He persisted for 5 minutes,
        | badgering me w/ questions, unwilling to take that for an
        | answer, fishing for any sort of info. I gave him nothing b/c
        | I had nothing.

        So what Matier found was an incident after Critical Mass, in
        which as motorist drove into a group of bicyclists, and spun it
        as bicyclists attacking a motorist during Critical Mass. Which
        is why, as I mentioned above, his story ended up not making any
        sense and wasn't internally consistent.