Skip to search.

Support the Bicycle Commuter Act

  • William Volk
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2007
      (I apologize if this has already been covered)

      This makes sense. Give cyclists the same tax incentives as folks who use
      public transport or carpool.

      http://capwiz.com/lab/issues/alert/?alertid=8647031

      The Bicycle Commuter Act would extend the transportation fringe benefit,
      currently available to transit users and car drivers, to bicycle commuters.
      The legislation would provide a tax benefit to employers who offer cash
      reimbursements to an employee who commutes by bicycle, while helping defray
      the costs of commuting for the bicyclist. Congress should amend the tax code
      to allow this benefit.
    • Bling Williams
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25, 2007
        |Been a year now. Mostly its easy (I rarely drove when I had one) but the difficulty remains getting the wheelchair child places. Very few of the buses here are accessible so you stand hopefully at the bus stop, the bus comes and you can't get on. Another half an hour wait in the cold and rain for the next one.
        Still debating cost. Last year I took the older kids to 4 home education camps and had to hire cars to carry tents/camping stuff. Total cost was nearly £1000. MOney spent on buses was zero as I have a disabled bus pass. Money spent on taxis (4 trips) £100. MOney on trains £250
        If I got a wheelchair accessible vehicle from the Guvmint the cost per year is £2000 and its sits outside all the time.
        This year there's another 4 HE camps (we don't go on holiday, just home education camps) but hiring a wheelchair accessible vehicle costs £400 compared to the usual £200 for a week!. Only planning to take the wheelchaired one on one camp, the rest will be me n older kids but the cost is creeping up now and she is getting heavier.
        I think we'llmanage another year car free and unless there's suddenly more buses I can use with her I'll have to give in and get a Guvmint scheme car :-(

        So, on the whole, its actually rather easy in the UK to be car free if you live in a city. And very liberating. But its not that much cheaper given the huge train fares - hence the car hire for camps. The train fare was the same as hiring a vehicle and you can carry your camping stuff.
        It becomes difficult when you factor in disability.

        Shyrley

        The moral test of government is how it treats those who are in the dawn of life . . . the children; those who are in the twilight of life . . . the elderly; and those who are in the shadow of life . . . the sick . . . the needy . . . and the disabled.

        Hubert H. Humphrey