Re: [CF] living in a country where car is

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1 1:29 AM
      > I live where the gas prices are routinely the highest in the
      > continuous United States, Yreka, CA, redneck country where
      > the pickup is King.

      =v= The other night I saw _Commune_, a documentary:

      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0439511/

      It's about the Black Bear Ranch, a commune not far from Yreka.
      They were into all sorts of iconoclasm (free land for free
      people, clothing-optional herbal midwifery, no "bourgeois
      decadance," etc.), but apparently they never ever thought to
      question car culture.

      =v= Also, their most famous alumnus went on to be the voice
      of the dumbass doublespeak post-9/11 "Keep America Rolling"
      SUV commercials. D'oh!
      <_Jym_>
    • De Clarke
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1 1:11 PM
        http://urbanplacesandspaces.blogspot.com/2007/02/washington-post-editorial-page-fails-to.html

        "Really the major myth is that anyone who wants to can drive a
        car whenever they want and that the roads to accommodate them
        can be easily provided..."

        some excellent numbers for comparative throughput in people/trips
        for roadways using private auto, bus, light rail, train, etc.

        de

        :Mail: de@... | Your planet's immune system is trying to get rid :
        :Web: www.ucolick.org | of you. --Kurt Vonnegut :
        :1024D/B9C9E76E | F892 5F17 8E0A F095 05CD EE8B D169 EDAA B9C9 E76E:
      • Per Eric Rosén
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5 3:50 AM
          I heard a radio program this morning (this being Sweden, but in Norrland
          which is a more sparse-populated and somewhat motor-centic area) about
          that etanol and bio-fuels are not the solution - they are cheap because
          there is a large input of fossil fuel per litre. And that "you can always
          get economical growth if you use up concentraded fossil fuels, but
          sometime perhaps soon we have to do without". Nice to hear, and the study
          (at the agriculture university) was announced on the news all day.

          /Per Eric
          --
          ^): Per Eric Rosén http://rosnix.net/~per/
          / per@... GPG 7A7A BD68 ADC0 01E1 F560 79FD 33D1 1EC3 1EBB 7311