Bogus "Green" or "Mean" Ratings for Cars

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2007
      =v= A group called the American Council for an Energy-Efficient
      Economy does yearly ratings of cars, producing lists of the
      "greenest" and "meanest" (environmentally speaking):

      http://www.greenercars.com/

      There was all sorts of news coverage about this, almost none
      of it mentioning that, um, the numbers being used are bogus.
      Only the _Boston_Globe_ pointed it out:

      http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/02/06/business/green.php

      | But future rankings from the American Council for an
      | Energy-Efficient Economy may look significantly different
      | from this year's list. The group uses Environmental
      | Protection Agency estimates for its mileage figures,
      | and the EPA is changing its testing procedures to better
      | reflect real-world driving.

      (I posted details about this change to this list back
      in December:

      Hybrid ratings are especially exaggerated.)

      =v= Add to this some research from last April which takes
      a full-lifecycle approach (including the impact of the cars'
      manufacture), which I also posted to this list:

      That particular study was done by a market research firm,
      so it's sorely in need of corroboration. If the American
      Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy is going to make
      publicity with "green" and "mean" lists, they should take
      these factors into account as well.