Re:energy consumed in auto manufacture

  • Charley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2007
      I think the best source of US energy consumption can be found here: http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/aer/diagram1.html

      Pretty clear to see that transportation is about 30% of our energy usage and over 60% of our petroleum.

    • Bart Hawkins Kreps
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2007
        On Jan 30, 2007, at 2:14 PM, Charley wrote:

        > I think the best source of US energy consumption can be found
        > here:http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/aer/diagram1.html
        >
        > Pretty clear to see that transportation is about 30% of our energy
        > usage and over 60% of our petroleum.

        Thanks for that link -- that's a nifty and informative chart. As you
        say, it shows that "transportation" uses almost 30% of the total
        energy consumed. However, "Industrial" uses account for even more, at
        about 32%. What I'm wondering is, how much of that Industrial use
        actually goes to producing cars, roads, bridges, etc. A true energy
        cost accounting of our Transportation system would have to include
        more than the energy burned directly in cars, trucks, planes, etc.