Re: [CF] Re: Light-Free, Car-Free Day - Idea Factory

  • JimmieTheSaint
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
      Tom, why are you so mad at cyclists?

      TF Said-
      (i.e. they "_are_ traffic" - a concept which, BTW, has
      nothing to do
      with a certain organization of newbie cyclists that
      came along and
      hijacked it to use as their slogan)
    • Tom Frost Jr.
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2006
        Me mad at cyclists? Only the ones that are so Triad-hating, and/or
        ignorant of the cycling community's diversity, as to straw-
        man "certain organization of newbie cyclists" into "cyclists", or, as
        in your second straw-man attack, "Section I of the Triad's Motorist's
        Code of Conduct Regarding Bicycles" into "Section I of the Triad".

        *PLONK*

        - TF
        ----
        http://www.newmilfordbike.com/Triad.htm

        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, JimmieTheSaint
        <jimmiethesaint529@...> wrote:

        > Tom, why are you so mad at cyclists?
        >
        > TF Said-
        > (i.e. they "_are_ traffic" - a concept which, BTW, has
        > nothing to do
        > with a certain organization of newbie cyclists that
        > came along and
        > hijacked it to use as their slogan)
      • Bling Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
          Your Triad reallly is a list of common sense road behaviour. I don't think any cyclist 'hates' it. Its just the car drivers don't appear to have read it, or the highway Code and many speed, pass too close, don't indicate etc etc
          If everyone did drive/cycle by the highway code and obeyed the law tnen the roads would be safer.
          But you do refer to it as if a. everyone has read it, and b. if only they'd read it they'd all obey it.
          people just don't obey rules or act with common sense.
          There was some survery last week in the UK of drivers and the majority admitted to speeeding, driving without due care, using a cell phone while driving (against the law here) and 1 in 20 owned up to driving while drunk. They all know the rules, they just don't obey any of them.

          <jimmiethesaint529@...> wrote:

          > Tom, why are you so mad at cyclists?
          >
          > TF Said-
          > (i.e. they "_are_ traffic" - a concept which, BTW, has
          > nothing to do
          > with a certain organization of newbie cyclists that
          > came along and
          > hijacked it to use as their slogan)

          The moral test of government is how it treats those who are in the dawn of life . . . the children; those who are in the twilight of life . . . the elderly; and those who are in the shadow of life . . . the sick . . . the needy . . . and the disabled.

          Hubert H. Humphrey

        • Tom Frost Jr.
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
            --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Bling Williams <bobalinga@...> wrote:

            > Your Triad reallly is a list of common sense road behaviour. I
            don't think any cyclist 'hates' it.

            TF: One need not look far to find a pattern in which a certain
            handful of my opponents hates the Triad. It happens when they figure
            out, correctly, that the Triad isn't like a fruit salad. They can't
            pick the scolding-of-motorists parts of it out to promote out one
            side of their mouth while, out the other side of their mouth, making
            excuses for their violating of instructing-of-cyclists parts.

            > Its just the car drivers don't appear to have read it, or the
            highway Code

            TF: _I_ haven't read the highway code! It's too long and convoluted!
            Indeed, that's why I'll continue to be "flippant" (to use Jimmie's
            word) towards websites that apparently (based on my unfortunately
            having looked at only the first page of it; the website itself it too
            long) want to make the highway code even _more_ long and convoluted.

            Most people are even less likely than me to read, let alone study,
            anything longer than about one page. That is why I spent hundreds of
            hours in 1990 condensing all of the most-important-for-cyclists parts
            of traffic law onto one page - the Triad.

            > and many speed, pass too close, don't indicate etc etc
            > If everyone did drive/cycle by the highway code and obeyed the
            law tnen the roads would be safer.
            > But you do refer to it as if a. everyone has read it,

            TF: The only people that I _particularly_ expect to have read it are
            those who have attacks to do on it and expect me to spend time
            responding to them. I've done my part by making the Triad short and
            easy to read.

            > and b. if only they'd read it they'd all obey it.
            > people just don't obey rules or act with common sense.
            [More of the same, snipped by TF]

            TF: My point exactly, in my not-flippancy-free-enough-for-leftists
            paragraph at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carfree/message/17751 (in
            which I responded to the promoting-of-more-laws website). Humans'
            natural tendency to prefer a set of recommended behavior that's like
            a fruit salad that they can pick and choose what parts of to bother
            obeying, is _minimized_ when the set of recommended behavior is
            _succinct_.

            - Tom Frost Jr.
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
              In the Uk you have an extensive test on the highway code. What about the US? I know VA's was stupidly easy.