Re: [CF] Re: Scooters (was: looking for suggestions)

  • Bling Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2006
      In the UK there's no emmissions test for motorbikes during the MOT like there is for cars. I don't recall if US does emissions check during the safety check.

      Shyrley

      "Tom Frost Jr." <tomfrostjr@...> wrote:
      "_Jym_" wrote:

      > =v= Consider carefully. Because they are not so thoroughly
      > regulated, some scooter engines actually pollute more than car
      > engines do!

      TF: Please assure us that you didn't just make this up, by citing what
      study you got it from.

      - TF

      The moral test of government is how it treats those who are in the dawn of life . . . the children; those who are in the twilight of life . . . the elderly; and those who are in the shadow of life . . . the sick . . . the needy . . . and the disabled.

      Hubert H. Humphrey

    • A.J. Rossini
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2006
        On 11/17/06, Tom Frost Jr. <tomfrostjr@...> wrote:

        > "_Jym_" wrote:
        >
        > > =v= Consider carefully. Because they are not so thoroughly
        > > regulated, some scooter engines actually pollute more than car
        > > engines do!
        >
        > TF: Please assure us that you didn't just make this up, by citing what
        > study you got it from.

        I'd probably cite a different study, but can't type the Chinese well
        on this keyboard. There's been a good bit of research in Taiwan on
        this subject, scooters are everywhere ("gnats of the streets"). Part
        (maybe all) of the problem is the use of 2-stroke engines with the
        smaller, more common (being cheaper) scooters.

        (again, note Jym's use of the term "some").

        best,
        -tony

        blindglobe@...
        Muttenz, Switzerland.
        "Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
        roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 2006
          > Part (maybe all) of the problem is the use of 2-stroke engines
          > with the smaller, more common (being cheaper) scooters.

          =v= As in Asia, so in the North America and Europe. These are
          the most popular scooters, they pollute more than cars (some
          more than SUVs), and since emissions laws often hinge on engine
          size, they are often completely unregulated.

          =v= Put "scooter" and "pollution" into a search engine and
          you'll find no shortage of documentation for the problem. Plus
          much talk about electric! hybrid! hydrogen! scooters to solve
          the problem.
          <_Jym_>

          Jym Dyer ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: __Q :::
          jym@... ::::::::::::::::: "My other car is :: ==`\(x ::
          http://www.things.org/~jym/ :::: also a bicycle." :: O-/ `O ::

          The only hope for the world is to slow down. Let them all
          go 15 miles an hour because we're trying to kill each other,
          and it's pretty stupid. The government is helping us do it,
          in my opinion, through the military-industrial-complex
          conspiracy with all the oil companies and the auto companies.
          We're going faster, we're killing everybody and we're angry
          all the time. The only way to fix that is to tear up all
          the asphalt. I'm going to start doing it, one pothole at a
          time. Dig a pothole, save the world!
          -- Tom Magliozzi, of "Car Talk"
        • Per Eric Rosén
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 19, 2006
            On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, Jym Dyer wrote:

            > =v= Put "scooter" and "pollution" into a search engine and
            > you'll find no shortage of documentation for the problem. Plus
            > much talk about electric! hybrid! hydrogen! scooters to solve
            > the problem.

            No, that won't solve everything. But IMHO an electric scooter could make
            sense if it really replaces a car. (this is from the European scene.) At
            least, smaller vehicles use less road space, running energy and resources
            to produce. Also, I think it could be very good if people started to think
            "what size of vehicle do I actually need for this trip?" and select from
            the large flora of walking - inlines - bike - recubent bike - velomobile -
            assisted velomobile - electric motorcycle - car/EV without prejudice.

            If you make a fuel-efficient small electrical scooter(moped) - it would
            actually make lot's of sense to be able to use the user-supplied 100-300W
            motor - ie make it a electric/HPV-hybrid :-). There are lots of such
            interesting vehicles, that perhaps could help you keeping carfree:

            Waw velomobile (can be had with assist, pretty fast without also)
            http://www.fietser.be/filosofie/WAWpaginas/eWAWpagina.htm

            Aerorider
            http://www.aerorider.com/en/aerorider.html

            and of course almost all common and recumbent bikes (and the other
            velomobiles - don't know what you can get in the US) can be had with e-motor.

            /Per Eric
            --
            ^): Per Eric Rosén http://rosnix.net/~per/
            / per@... GPG 7A7A BD68 ADC0 01E1 F560 79FD 33D1 1EC3 1EBB 7311