powers of levitation -or down to earth

  • willtell9z
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2006
      Here's one of the most interesting articles (more of a Report in
      fact) I've read in a long time -about how goods should be transported
      by sea and the waterways compared to the absurd system of trucking
      millions of containers on the motorways over the length and breadth of
      the country.

      ''The Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution, the Department for
      Transport (DfT) and the House of Commons transport committee have all
      called for a transfer of freight from road to water. They might just
      as well have called for powers of levitation....
      .... Britain's coastal waters are variously described as a "conveyor
      belt" or "ring road" – zero maintenance, uncloggable, environmentally
      friendly (60% less carbon emissions per tonne/kilometre than road
      transport) and FREE.
      From rivers like the Thames, Severn, Mersey, Ouse, Humber, Tees and
      Clyde, it has access to a network through which modern vessels can
      reach inland towns and cities. Yet it's one of the emptiest ring roads
      on the planet….. two-thirds of the containers coming into Southampton
      will be delivered by road north of Birmingham….'' etc etc

      It all reminds me how over the past 25-30 years, our old docks,
      wharves and similar infrastructure has been ''transformed'' in the
      name of regeneration into upmarket waterfront apartments, supposedly
      gems of the de-industrialisation of our the cities. Well, if our
      society is to get serious about GW we ought to be ''re-
      industrialising'', re-cycling what's still left of the old
      infrastructure in a way that'll to probably have resemble the original
      plus balloons 
      The yuppy loft-dwellers become dockers (longshormen ), forget the
      marinas and yacht moorings. Reinstate the docklands, harbours and
      canals for sustainable industrial shipping. All in tandem with re-
      discovering the railways………etc

      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2099-23181827,00.html

      Bill
    • willtell9z