Re: air-free travel

  • willtell9z
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
      When i first clicked this url (in the following snippet from CTC
      newsnet) it worked and showed views of this fabulous vehicle. Latterly
      I havent been able to make the connect. Try it, you'll like the
      contraption if you can see it:-

      Bikes, Balloons and Bottoms

      The small but select group of UK hot air ballooners that now fly with
      mountain bikes strapped to their baskets are not super-competitive
      riders competing to see how much 'air' they can get over jumps, but
      simply doing without the need to have a vehicle follow the flight -
      when the balloon lands, the pilot uses the bike to pick up a car and
      trailer. American Bill Watson took the idea one step further when he
      designed and flew his beautiful pedal-powered airship
      <http://home.teleport.com/~reedg/whitedwarf.html>

      Bill
    • Tom Frost Jr.
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
        The article's discussion of how to address the problem of the ship
        monkeying _itself_ up (only!) when the kite crashes due to operator
        error or whatever, sent shivers down my spine as a canoeman and small-
        boat sailor. Since reading that, I've been waiting for the list
        incrowd's stock lecture about "external costs", yet all I hear is pin-
        drop silence. Strange.

        - TF