Re: [CF] air-free travel

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2006
      I was jumping forward to the future. Simon poses problems that would present
      no greater problem than those presented by other transport innovations. Re
      lightning for instance:

      http://www.concordelectronics.com/news-lightning-boats.htm

      As for bridges I wonder if we could invent a ³new² kind of bridge that
      ³opens² for passing vessels. Sounds crazy but I¹m sure it could be done
      (:))

      For something immediately helpful have you visited ³ The Man in Seat 61².
      Ace! For taking trains to many parts of Europe and beyond:

      http://www.seat61.com/

      Simon B

      From: Simon Norton <S.Norton@...>
      Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:53:04 +0000
      To: <carfree@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [CF] air-free travel

      People like Shyrley's mother in law should be ready customers for long
      distance
      overland travel provided that a reasonable degree of comfort can be
      provided. A
      single trip could substitute for a series of air trips to different places
      within a continent, thus further magnifying the savings.

      As for sailing, one of the articles quoted by Simon Baddeley says that it
      would
      not be necessary to provide storage space for sails because they need never
      be
      lowered. But what happens when a ship needs to get under a bridge ? I also
      suspect that a raised sail might be a hazard in a thunderstorm.

    • willtell9z
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
        When i first clicked this url (in the following snippet from CTC
        newsnet) it worked and showed views of this fabulous vehicle. Latterly
        I havent been able to make the connect. Try it, you'll like the
        contraption if you can see it:-

        Bikes, Balloons and Bottoms

        The small but select group of UK hot air ballooners that now fly with
        mountain bikes strapped to their baskets are not super-competitive
        riders competing to see how much 'air' they can get over jumps, but
        simply doing without the need to have a vehicle follow the flight -
        when the balloon lands, the pilot uses the bike to pick up a car and
        trailer. American Bill Watson took the idea one step further when he
        designed and flew his beautiful pedal-powered airship
        <http://home.teleport.com/~reedg/whitedwarf.html>

        Bill
      • Tom Frost Jr.
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
          The article's discussion of how to address the problem of the ship
          monkeying _itself_ up (only!) when the kite crashes due to operator
          error or whatever, sent shivers down my spine as a canoeman and small-
          boat sailor. Since reading that, I've been waiting for the list
          incrowd's stock lecture about "external costs", yet all I hear is pin-
          drop silence. Strange.

          - TF