Re: [CF] Re: A proper introduction

  • Bling Williams
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 17, 2006
      > --- In CarFree@yahoogroups .com, "kahunaman" <chucker_t@> wrote:
      > 7. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being car-free
      > and/or getting
      > around without using a car?
      >
      > Try asking a woman out for a first time date if you don't own a car.

      This must be an American phenomena. Over here in Europe we have pubs and walkable things to take your date on.
      My husband didn't have a car (nor did anyone I know) when we met, nor did previous boyfriends.

      Shyrley

      The moral test of government is how it treats those who are in the dawn of life . . . the children; those who are in the twilight of life . . . the elderly; and those who are in the shadow of life . . . the sick . . . the needy . . . and the disabled.

      Hubert H. Humphrey

    • Inez Hempstead
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 28, 2009
        Hi everyone,

        It is great to be car free.  Here is my questionnaire.

        1. Which of the following best describes you? Please check one.
        XX I do not presently own a car though I have owned a car previously.
        __ I am car-free and have never owned a car
        __ I own a car but use other forms of transport frequently

        2. How long have you been either car-free or used non-automotive transport as your principle means of transportation?

        3 years.

        3. What inspired your decision to reduce or end your reliance on the
        automobile?

        I am concerned about the environment particularly global warming.  An important factor is that I didn't have enough money to buy a new car but I'm really rather pleased about that.  I am also concerned about the safety problems with cars.  Also, right now I don't need one.

        4. What factors have either impeded or inspired your decision to reduce your reliance on automotive transport?

        Cars are dirty smelly things and dangerous too.  I hate heat and automobiles are a major contributer to the global warming crisis.

        5. Has your transportational choices had any discernible effect on your family and friends?

        My choices have not effected my family.  I've made new friends from bicycling and walking.

        6. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being car-free and/or getting around without using a car?

        I have developed strong legs from bicycling
        saved money
        safer
        better for the environment
        more contact with the world around me

        7. Do you typically feel comfortable recommending car-free living to your friends and/or relatives? Why or why not?
        Yes, I just did it to my sister today.  I love recommending car-free living to people and introducing the car-free concept to friends and family.

        8. Have you experienced any adverse consequences of reducing or eliminating your automotive dependency with regard to time and finances?

        I have saved money; transportation now takes a lot of time.

        9. Have there been any benefits?

        Fewer parking worries.

        10. In an ideal world, what role should the car play in the general transportation system?

        I think cars should be greatly reduced--10% to 20% of what we have now.  People who need to haul can have a light truck.  We need ambulances and other emergency vehicles, and taxis for emercencies and travel where bicyling is to cold or dangerous and for transportation of some elderly and sick.

        11. Do you have any other personal or general thoughts you've care to share on this topic?

        When I was a teenager I watched two chickadees in a wild dance of flight, swerling and teasing each other in the air.  A passing car hit one of them and it died.  I cried, the two birds were beautifully full of life and now one lay dead. The other tried to coax the dead bird back to life but it was over the the bird.  I had long hated cars because my father drove too fast but the intensity of the hatetred went up with this incident.

        I am a clown, jester, dancer, balloon scultor and face painter.  I would like to offer my services to car-free events.

        12. Where do you live (city, state, country)?

        Santa Rosa, CA USA