Re: Octogenian still rides his recumbent bike daily!

  • Jim Gagnepain
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2006
      Where is Willcox? Should I retire there?

      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "SueW" <gswidemark@...> wrote:

      > Octogenarian Robert Brodie is a familiar sight in the Willcox
      area, traveling the highways and byways on his reclining bicycle.

      > He has logged more 16,000 miles and gone through three of the
      recumbent bikes since moving to Willcox in 1999.

      > "I like comfort. My middle name is 'comfort'," he laughed. "I have
      enjoyed it very much," he told the Range News. "I ride for the joy of
      it, and if there are any health benefits, so be it."

      > Weather permitting, Brodie tries each day to ride to the Safford
      exit (a 28-mile roundtrip) or the Douglas exit (a 20-mile roundtrip).

      > Then, it's "a number of in-town rides -- Stewart Road to Cox, to
      Taylor and to B-10 and back," he said.

      > "I don't ride when it's really cold and really windy," Brodie
      said. "I take long rides in the morning, and short rides in the
      afternoon as it cools down. Riding my bike is so comfortable
      sometimes I almost doze off."

      > Brodie was born in July 1926, in Richmond, Va., and grew up near
      Martinsville, Va., on a tobacco farm. He joined the Army in 1944 and
      spent two years in Italy in the 10th mountain division as a
      muleskinner and military policeman later on.

      > After the war, Brodie was an office manager and bookkeeper in
      Richmond until retiring in 1975.

      > In 1960, Brodie attended a drag race and "was hooked -- line and
      sinker," he said.

      > "In 1965 I started attending each Sunday race in Richmond as a
      spectator. I then started volunteering work on the starting line."

      > A friend in Maryland opened three drag strips, two in Maryland and
      one in Virginia.

      > "He offered me a job full-time helping to maintain and run these
      tracks," Brodie said. "Ten seconds later I said yes."

      > "Until 1990, I was the track starter and safety director," which
      Brodie calls the "most enjoyable job ever."

      > Then, it was time to move on, he said. Brodie took a bus tour of
      the West, including Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.

      > He noticed lots of recumbent bikes wherever he went, so he bought
      his first of three.

      > "When I saw recumbent bikes, I thought they were something from
      outer space," he said.

      > "It's just like a comfortable easy chair."
      >
      > Brodie first saw Willcox while on the bus tour, and fell in love
      with its bike-riding potential.

      > "I saw bike roads going in every direction, and lots of level
      land," he told the Range News.

      > He moved first to Benson for about six months, "but you have to
      climb Mount Everest everywhere you go if you're riding a bike."

      > Brodie does, however, credit Benson with having an outstanding bike
      shop "L & B Bicycles in Benson - Lynn can fix anything," he told the
      Range News.

      > "I haven't had a car in eight years," he said. "I've had many cars
      in my life, but you couldn't get me to own one now. My first car was
      a Model A, and my last one was a Jaguar XK, and I've had everything
      in between.

      > An animal lover, Brodie says the only down side of his biking is
      when he sees road kill -- roadrunners, horned lizards, snakes and
      birds.

      > "Any creature that ever walked I can make into a pet," he told the
      Range News.

      > Brodie says he gets "a perfect picture of this town looking down
      Rex Allen Drive as I'm riding my bike."

      > And he is observed in return.
      >
      > Drivers who see him on a regular basis, "with companies like Swift
      Trucking and UPS, trucks I see all the time, start tooting," Brodie
      said.

      > "I have a lot of friends I don't know."
      >
      > Brodie also has friends he does know -- people who helped him
      during his three months of recuperation after an accident last July.
      He was hit by a car and thrown 50 feet.

      > Brodie remembers a screech of tires and then being loaded into an
      ambulance.

      > "July I spent in my room," Brodie told the Range News. "In August,
      I could hobble. In September, I could walk."

      > Despite the frightening accident, Brodie got back on his bike and
      continues to ride most every day. And it doesn't seem that will end
      anytime soon.

      > "I don't have a cut-off date yet," Brodie told the Range
      News. "When it ceases to be enjoyable, I'll quit."