INTRODUCTORY PROFILE: I have nearly been hit, by cars, several times

  • Lauren Cooper (DancesWithCars)
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2006
      Hi and welcome to the list. There is a science to safe traffic bicycling:
      it's been studied, and we know how to train cyclists not only to avoid
      common mistakes, but also to compensate for common motorist errors. Please
      understand that to learn this requires taking an in-depth, adult-level 9hr.
      course at minimum.

      Please see Cooperative Cycling at CycleMedia.org for an introduction to it;
      see BikeLeague.org to find League Cycling Instructors near you.
      It is time well spent, and what you learn will serve you for a lifetime,
      and save you many times over.

      Thank you for your thought and consideration. And thank you for bicycling!
      DancesWithCars at CycleMedia.org

      "In roughly half of all car/bike crashes, the cyclist is at fault; in half the motorist. So behaving better, by riding as a responsible law-abiding adult, is at least 50% safer. But we've become *80% safer* by learning to compensate for common motorist errors as well.
      This Advanced Traffic-Bicycling (sm) serves us everywhere we go, on every road, bikelane or not. It works so well that our cycling becomes a dance of mutual cooperation with drivers."
      from Dancing-With-Cars (sm): An Introduction to Advanced Traffic-Bicycling (sm)

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • alisonann
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 11, 2006
        Thanks for the welcome.
        I'm a walker. I haven't started biking yet. I have been thinking about
        it since it would, of course, increase my range greatly. I admit a
        fair amount of trepidation about it though since I am already dodging
        cars on foot. It seems that some drivers are unaware that sidewalks
        and crosswalks occasionally contain pedestrians?
        Thanks for the resource links. I have been reading what I can on the
        subject. I joined hoping to get more information and insights on the
        topic.
        Alison

        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Lauren Cooper \(DancesWithCars\)"
        <cyclemedia@...> wrote:

        > Hi and welcome to the list. There is a science to safe traffic
        bicycling:

      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2006
          At last someone who describes themselves as a ³walker² and not a ³ped¹ or a
          ³pedestrian². I have long viewed walking and cycling as sibling habits. Have
          you come across ŒOn Foot: A History Of Walking¹ by Joseph A. Amato or
          "Wanderlust: A History of Walking" by Rebecca Solnit? Interesting I think.
          Walking and cycling are for getting about in sensible ways but they are also
          practical ways of staying healthy and they are ­ in these times ­ political
          actions. 10 years ago I would have been anxious about walking more than
          three or four miles preferring to drive or take public transport. Now I am
          more inclined to just set out and when cycling I get a puncture then there¹s
          always my feet if for some reason meaning it is not going to be easier at
          home. It is amazing the way we cover distance on foot once you¹ve adjusted
          your sense of time and place. You see so much more of the in-between.

          To combine walking and cycling best I use a Brompton folder. One moment I¹m
          enjoying London¹s Oxford Street at Christmas rush hour or the jammed Strand
          in Summer and another moment I¹m cycling with my dog on a Birmingham canal
          towpath and last week my daughter and I were cycling on Sustrans Route 1
          between Aberdeen and Inverness stopping to pick wild raspberries from the
          hedgerows and watching birds of prey circling above the road.

          One of the best books on road cycling is John Franklin¹s Cyclecraft.

          Best

          Simon

          From: alisonann <alisonann2@...>
          Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 00:21:53 -0000
          To: <CarFree@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [CF] Re: INTRODUCTORY PROFILE: I have nearly been hit, by cars,
          several times

          Thanks for the welcome.
          I'm a walker. I haven't started biking yet. I have been thinking about
          it since it would, of course, increase my range greatly. I admit a
          fair amount of trepidation about it though since I am already dodging
          cars on foot. It seems that some drivers are unaware that sidewalks
          and crosswalks occasionally contain pedestrians?
          Thanks for the resource links. I have been reading what I can on the
          subject. I joined hoping to get more information and insights on the
          topic.
          Alison

          --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CarFree%40yahoogroups.com> , "Lauren
          Cooper \(DancesWithCars\)"
          <cyclemedia@...> wrote:

          > Hi and welcome to the list. There is a science to safe traffic
          bicycling:

        • Bling Williams
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2006
            I've never done a course, just 35 years of cycling.

[...]

            With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil -- that takes religion.
            -- Steven Weinberg

          • alisonann
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 12, 2006
              I must confess that I have never thought much about walking. It is
              simply something I have done. My local library has "Wanderlust: A
              History of Walking" so that is an easy place to start a deeper
              exploration of the topic.
              I do tend to limit myself somewhat to a 2 mile radius of home while
              walking. This has more to do with me having to limit my sun exposure
              than a fear of distance though. That is why I figure I need to start
              considering a bike so that I can cover more area in a shorter time.
              I already have the bike. I haven't used it since I moved to this
              area so it will need some work but that is easily manageable. All
              things in time.
              Alison

              --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Simon Baddeley <s.j.baddeley@...>