Re: [CF] Article on carless family

  • Bling Williams
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 5, 2006
      "Cody B." <codeman38@...> wrote:
      .

      And don't even get me started as to how road design is just plain
      hostile to pedestrians and bikers...

      --
      Cody B. / "codeman38"
      cody@...

      Oh feel free, and then I could join in about how all pedestrian crossings are designed to make us wait and the cars keep going. Even if we got there first. Ifthere is a crossing that is, cos sometimes you have to walk a mile or two to find one.

      Shyrley

      "I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism
      is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express
      sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat...or a prostitute."
      Rebecca West quotes (English Writer, 1892-1983)
    • jdsingleton
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 11, 2006
        A while back, on Wed, 31 May 2006 11:03:36 +0100, "David Hansen"
        <davidh@...> wrote:

        >In the UK there was once a little book called "Life beyond cars" which
        >collected the stories of a few car free/car lite people. Copies may be
        >available somewhere. The stories were shorter, but interesting.

        There have been at least two editions of "Life Beyond Cars." I have a
        copy of the second edition. There's no date in it, but I'd guess it's
        five to ten years old, if not older.

        Checking via Google, if you're in the UK, copies appear to be
        available from Spokeshop (http://www.spokes.org.uk/oldsite/pubs.htm),
        for £1.95. Outside the UK, Alibris (www.alibris.com) has a few copies
        at a bit over $9.

        Jim
      • Chris Jordan
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 11, 2006
          That specimen of high intellect literature is still
          available ;-). Another book was mentioned in this
          group- Car Sick- which I ordered from a UK bookstore:

          http://greenbooks.co.uk/store/index.php?osCsid=88f1d71a6d88c2c4934be9868cfb6ace

          I was very pleased with Car Sick; so last month I
          ordered 2 more books from Green Books- Life Without a
          Car, and CarToons. That was my first oversea business
          dealing ; a very pleasurable experience!

          Chris Jordan

          http://mail.yahoo.com