Re: Article on carless family

  • renegadebuddhacoach
    Message 1 of 18 , May 31, 2006
      Just wanted to tell you I read your page. Well ok a little of it the
      first bike rant. It was a enjoyable read. Thanks

      > Riin Gill
      > http://www.riinsrants.info/
      > If you were riding your bike, you'd be having fun by now.
      >
      > -----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
      > Version: 1.1 KCmR++ Exp++ SPM++ Boye++@* Wool+++ Lux+++ Stash++
      Scale++
      > Fin* Ent* FI++ Int+ Tex++ Lace+ Felt- !Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML2-
      Swatch+ KIP+

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
        On 31 May 2006 at 13:41, Riin Gill wrote:

        > I'm hoping time will heal me.

        Some losses are not really healed. They may become less painful, but
        never really go away. I think that's the way humans are.

        > It just never occurred to me that people keep score.

        Some people keep score very seriously, others less seriously and some
        hardly at all. Only the saintly don't.

        There is also evidence of something of a male/female split. Those of
        the former persuasion tend to include the size of the favour in the
        score, so one big favour is worth several smaller ones. Those of the
        latter persuasion tend not to be concerned by the size of the favour
        but only the frequency.

        --
        David Hansen, Edinburgh
        I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
          "There is also evidence of something of a male/female split. Those of
          the former persuasion tend to include the size of the favour in the..."

          yet more evidence that males really are size queens :-)

          sorry, couldn't resist...

          de

          :Mail: de@... | Your planet's immune system is trying to get rid :
          :Web: www.ucolick.org | of you. --Kurt Vonnegut :
          :1024D/B9C9E76E | F892 5F17 8E0A F095 05CD EE8B D169 EDAA B9C9 E76E:
        • Tom Frost Jr.
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 2, 2006
            --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Riin Gill" <riin@...> wrote:

            > On Wed, May 31, 2006 6:03 am, David Hansen wrote:
            > > On 31 May 2006 at 5:42, whistling_lass wrote:
            [snip]
            > >> "In my last relationship, [my girlfriend] asked me, 'Are you ever
            > >> gonna drive?' She was like, 'I don't think I can deal with it.' "
            > >>
            > >> They broke up.
            > >
            > > She was definitely not worth it.
            >
            > A friend of mine told me recently she didn't want to be my friend
            anymore.
            > One of the things she mentioned was me not driving. I'm still
            trying to
            > sort out what happened. We had been friends for 27 years.

            TF: I recently weeded out a friend of that variety in _two_ _minutes_
            instead of 27 years, proving to myself the viability of a plan that
            I'd developed specifically for weeding out that variety.

            This was a 47-year-old widow who happened to be the first person that
            I contacted on one of those internet meat-racks. She was extremely
            nice on e-mail for a few weeks and seemed to be on my wavelength
            about things, and then she finally proposed that our first date
            consist of me coming to her place, in Scranton 20 miles away from me,
            to help her go through her late husband's things in preparation for a
            yard sale. I said okay, and that when she meets me at a McDonald's in
            her neck of the woods to give me directions the rest of the way to
            her place, I'd be the guy near a bicycle, because I'd be leaving my
            motor vehicles at home and riding my bike down as part of my strategy
            of controlling my too-easy temptation to take things that she'd
            probably be throwing out, as I'm a packrat whose barn is already
            overflowing. The other, more important reason, and which I _didn't_
            say, of why I was cycling down rather than motoring, was that
            although my currently-most-legal motor vehicle is of quite a chick-
            magnet variety, I specifically _don't_ _want_ the _kind_ that it
            takes a thing like that to attract.

            As it turned out, my weeding-out-of-Thule-cartop-rack-crowd-types
            strategy succeeded in flying colors. As I waited for over an hour at
            her house, with her reneging from showing up there (I did check the
            paper the next day and there was no accident on the Scranton
            Expressway), it gradually dawned on me that, after she'd met me for
            two minutes at the McDonald's giving me the (correct!) directions to
            her house, she had not only left McDonald's without looking at me;
            she had also turned around real quick and come back into the
            McDonald's and spent several minutes buying something to take out,
            and then taken it out, all without looking at me - which I guess she
            had intended as a signal to me that I could save time by tearing up
            the directions to her house! Then it dawned on me that since, unlike
            yuppie cyclists, I dress for my destination (and who knows how dusty
            of rooms we were going to be sorting out the junk in), she was
            disappointed that I didn't fit whatever her stereotype was of what a
            cyclist should look like.

            My only regrets are that I didn't have a fresher T-shirt and haircut,
            because if I had, then I'd _know_ that she also didn't like my just-
            from-20-miles sweat smell which, like my lack of yuppie clothes, I
            _won't_ apologize for.

            - Tom Frost Jr.
          • Cody B.
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 4, 2006
              On 5/31/06, David A de Gruyl <david@...> wrote:
              > Uhm, yeah. But remember (and I know you do) in the US there is no rail
              > system for much of the country, and busses are abyssmal, and distances
              > are huge. Mostly the distances are huge because people choose to move
              > to locations far from where they work or shop, but I will save that rant
              > for another time.

              This is one of my biggest frustrations, to be honest. And it's not
              just an issue of people moving to locations far from where they work
              or shop, it's also shops and workplaces moving out away from the city
              center and into the suburbs as well to match this trend... usually
              under the guise of convenience, but with a reality that's inconvenient
              for those of us without cars.

              And don't even get me started as to how road design is just plain
              hostile to pedestrians and bikers...

              --
              Cody B. / "codeman38"
              cody@...
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 5, 2006
                "Cody B." <codeman38@...> wrote:
                .

                And don't even get me started as to how road design is just plain
                hostile to pedestrians and bikers...

                --
                Cody B. / "codeman38"
                cody@...
                http://www.zone38.net/

                Oh feel free, and then I could join in about how all pedestrian crossings are designed to make us wait and the cars keep going. Even if we got there first. Ifthere is a crossing that is, cos sometimes you have to walk a mile or two to find one.

                Shyrley

                "I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism
                is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express
                sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat...or a prostitute."
                Rebecca West quotes (English Writer, 1892-1983)
              • jdsingleton
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 11, 2006
                  A while back, on Wed, 31 May 2006 11:03:36 +0100, "David Hansen"
                  <davidh@...> wrote:

                  >In the UK there was once a little book called "Life beyond cars" which
                  >collected the stories of a few car free/car lite people. Copies may be
                  >available somewhere. The stories were shorter, but interesting.

                  There have been at least two editions of "Life Beyond Cars." I have a
                  copy of the second edition. There's no date in it, but I'd guess it's
                  five to ten years old, if not older.

                  Checking via Google, if you're in the UK, copies appear to be
                  available from Spokeshop (http://www.spokes.org.uk/oldsite/pubs.htm),
                  for £1.95. Outside the UK, Alibris (www.alibris.com) has a few copies
                  at a bit over $9.

                  Jim
                • Chris Jordan
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 11, 2006
                    That specimen of high intellect literature is still
                    available ;-). Another book was mentioned in this
                    group- Car Sick- which I ordered from a UK bookstore:

                    http://greenbooks.co.uk/store/index.php?osCsid=88f1d71a6d88c2c4934be9868cfb6ace

                    I was very pleased with Car Sick; so last month I
                    ordered 2 more books from Green Books- Life Without a
                    Car, and CarToons. That was my first oversea business
                    dealing ; a very pleasurable experience!

                    Chris Jordan

                    http://mail.yahoo.com