this bike is a MISSILE (not just a pipe bomb)

    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2006
      >> Parts of the USA have far better provision for taking
      >> non-folding bikes on buses than the UK, if that is a problem
      >> could you campaign for such racks to be fitted? Could you get
      >> a folder?

      =v= What a coincidence. Here's an article from TODAY about
      how San Francisco's Muni system is considering allowing folding
      bikes onto trains:

      http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/03/BAGEQIJNMA1.DTL

      It includes a phenomenally stupid comment, which of course the
      _Chronicle_ decided was worthy to feature as a pull quote:

      | "If there was an accident or a sudden stop on any of these
      | vehicles, that bicycle would become a missile," said Ed Evans,
      | the committee's chairman.

      =v= A missile! That's right, my folding bike is a weapon of
      mass destruction. Here I've been griping that San Francisco
      is years behind other American cities with its bike-banning
      policies, but apparently those other cities have been laid to
      waste by missiles. I had no idea.
      <_Jym_>
    • whistling_lass
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2006
        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote:

        > | "If there was an accident or a sudden stop on any of these
        > | vehicles, that bicycle would become a missile," said Ed Evans,
        > | the committee's chairman.

        You know why? Because it's not strapped down. News flash. The
        people on the bus aren't strapped down, either (with exception of the
        wheelchair folks. *I* was once a missile. You know how the seats in
        the front are facing sideways? Well, I was in the last seat, furthest
        from the driver. There was no one in the other two seats. The driver
        slammed on the brakes and I went flying across those seats into the
        plastic partition. Banged my shoulder pretty bad.

        Marcy
      • Chris Jordan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2006
          Hmmm. Bush is looking in the wron country! ;-)

          Chris Jordan

          --- Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote:

          > =v= A missile! That's right, my folding bike is a
          > weapon of
          > mass destruction. Here I've been griping that San
          > Francisco
          > is years behind other American cities with its
          > bike-banning
          > policies, but apparently those other cities have
          > been laid to
          > waste by missiles. I had no idea.
          > <_Jym_>

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • A.J. Rossini
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2006
            Damn straight. Need to remove USA public transport before someone gets
            hurt or bruised, or something.

            --
            best,
            -tony

            blindglobe@...
            Muttenz, Switzerland.
            "Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can
            easily
            roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

          • Bling Williams
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2006
              Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote: ?

              =v= What a coincidence. Here's an article from TODAY about
              how San Francisco's Muni system is considering allowing folding
              bikes onto trains:

              http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/03/BAGEQIJNMA1.DTL

              It includes a phenomenally stupid comment, which of course the
              _Chronicle_ decided was worthy to feature as a pull quote:

              | "If there was an accident or a sudden stop on any of these
              | vehicles, that bicycle would become a missile," said Ed Evans,
              | the committee's chairman.

              =v= A missile! That's right, my folding bike is a weapon of
              mass destruction. Here I've been griping that San Francisco
              is years behind other American cities with its bike-banning
              policies, but apparently those other cities have been laid to
              waste by missiles. I had no idea.
              <_Jym_>

              Passengers and baby strollers are of course, glued down?

              http://nobravery.cf.huffingtonpost.com/

              www.celyn.org