Re: [CF] Textbook more-carfree-than-you-or-me-crowd obfuscation

    Message 1 of 31 , May 3, 2006
      On 2 May 2006 at 15:31, whistling_lass wrote:

      > The only thing I regret doing is depending too much on my coworker for
      > rides home (and that's only going home, mind you, I take the bus in to
      > work), so that when he wasn't at work, I had to hit other people up for
      > rides.

      What are the reasons for not cycling back from the new location?
      Distance, parking problems, getting the bike on the bus?

      Parts of the USA have far better provision for taking non-folding bikes
      on buses than the UK, if that is a problem could you campaign for such
      racks to be fitted? Could you get a folder?

      --
      David Hansen, Edinburgh
      I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents
      Message 31 of 31 , May 3, 2006
        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "David Hansen" <davidh@...> wrote:

        << Parts of the USA have far better provision for taking non-folding
        bikes on buses than the UK, if that is a problem could you campaign
        for such racks to be fitted? Could you get a folder? >>

        Our buses have racks on them that carry two bikes, and if they are
        full you can even take your bike inside if there aren't any people in
        the wheelchair bays (but that's at the driver's discretion, and some
        are assholes about it). I just saw a sign that they will be upgrading
        the racks to accomodate three bikes.

        No, it's a fear issue. I get out late at night and part of my trip is
        a windy country road with a bit of gravel on the side and a drop-off
        that people drive fast on, and the other part of my trip is the bike
        trail where there are no cars, but it's not lit, there are trees
        bordering it on both sides, and I just don't feel safe.

        It's possible that I could alter my trip and take only well-lit roads
        with bike lanes. I'll have to scout out the area more.

        Marcy