Re: [CF] Hummer's Superbowl ad

  • ensignaurora
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7 2:37 AM
      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, jeff covey <jeff.covey@...> wrote:

      > i was more disturbed by the kermit-the-frog commercial for the
      "green" suv.
      > they first show him riding a bicycle down a natural trail, and end
      with him
      > discovering the solution to being green in the suv. what, are the
      suv and
      > the road to take it into the wilderness going to help him overcome that
      > horribly polluting bicycle?

      All I can say is "AMAIZING!"

      Actually, I can say more than that. As far as the above goes, it has
      rather been around for a few years. In Spring of 04, when I was doing
      environmental ethics, my presentation was about, I think since course
      work gets blended, how we want to be active, get out there
      ..................... and how advertising wants us to be active, get
      out there, and while the two may look similar, they are different.

      An SUV ad, for example, shows four guys or so riding in the SUV,
      bumping along the dusty road, all pumped up to climb the rock. They
      get to the rock, it towers above them, they lose their nerve and
      decide for a smaller rock over there, get back in the SUV
      .............. and the point of the message is that the particular
      brand of SUV is really all you need for the great outdoors. Their fun
      doesn't come from climbing the rock but riding in the SUV.

      Or the Xterra (may have the same for the above). Shows the surfers
      riding to a beach in one. They get there with their boards, line up on
      the beach ................. and have the clone of Hendrix with guitar
      and keyboards providing their music as they head off into the surf,
      his power provided by the SUV. "Everything you need and nothing you
      don't!"

      Well, who are they to decide what I need?

      Rather spoils all the fun of it, doesn't it. Getting trashed. And in
      some advertising, it's rather hilarous when one thinks of it. Subaru
      commercial, I think, for an L.L.Bean edition. Woman picks up the
      hikers out there in woods in her leather interior SUV, hiker has muddy
      boots, she looks at him, and he holds his boots outside the car, out a
      window.

      Well, being outdoors is dirty. That's part of the fun of it. And if
      you don't want to be dirty, get dirt around, then why be there in the
      first place? But here again, here we have advertisement. The cars are
      shown as nice all the time, not ruff and tumble, not covered with
      dirt, perfect inside.

      Which, at least in some concepts, might make one think that clean fuel
      advertising, of showing the farm as "clean". Think about it for a
      moment. For people on a farm, they seemed very clean. For a truck on a
      farm, it looked like it never worked a day there. No dirt, not even
      any dust rising.

      If you are outdoors, you are not suppose to get dirty.

      And that concept, su**s! When I was doing the rock ad showing, I was
      countering it with F/X's Angie Rameriez (Christina Cox) climbing the
      side of a building in "Shooting Mikey". Granted, it was in a city, but
      still, there was a presentation meant to get the blood pumping, meant
      to show that to be active, one gets trashed and it's fun! Angie does
      get dirty, someone drops a flowerpot on her head, she does get torn,
      cut and bruised, and that's all part of the game, that's what makes
      life worth living.

      But not to advertising. Life is presented to us as they want it to be
      so we are convinced to buy the car.

      The thing is that often, IMHO, when it comes to advertising, the car
      is the key player, the only player, and the car is everywhere, in
      every bit of life you do, it is all of the life ................. and
      that's rather ridiculous, of course.

      I love driving my Forester but face it, if I want to do scuba diving
      or ride my bike at the Veloway, pump the blood a little bit, I may use
      the Forester to get to launch point, but once there, it's sitting
      parked somewhere and I'm doing what I went there for. After all,
      unlike the rock climbers, I don't take the car into the drink to get
      out to where I want to be (though some here might say I should).

      But cars aren't people. They don't climb buildings or sides of rocks.
      They don't bike or do scuba. They don't surf. So for all the things
      that one might do in the great outdoors, the car usually doesn't.
      Given that, one is referred back to the script. The car is the star
      player, the only player and everything done in that commercial has to
      reflect back to the car.

      As far as the violence goes, well, if you say so. Personally, I have
      no interest in the game, so I don't watch it at all. Usually, I go to
      the rifle range to practice since I know on that day that I will have
      it all to myself, but had too many things to do yesterday or so.

      -Traci
      ("What's the use of living if you can't feel alive?"--Elektra King,
      (wtte), "The World is Not Enough")
    • Cody B.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9 3:38 PM
        On 2/6/06, richardmasoner <richardmasoner@...> wrote:
        > Synopsis: Giant Tokyo-destroying monster encounters giant robot. They
        > fall in love. Gojira gets pregnant. In the midst of continued
        > destruction and death, Gojira bears a child -- a new Hummer H3.
        >
        > This is un-freakin-believable that the ad agency and Hummer execs who
        > approved this ad didn't get the irony in their storyline. Some
        > discussion I saw on a discussion forum for advertising professionals
        > talked about how cute and endearing this ad is. Blech.

        I, too, thought it was wonderfully ironic...and *that's* why I
        laughed. Not because it was cute or endearing, but because, as far as
        I'm concerned, the Hummer pretty much *is* the spawn of those
        city-destroying monsters...

        And as for the Kermit ad... I can only wonder what Jim Henson would've
        thought were he still alive.

        Still, I didn't think either of those was as bad as the SUV ad from a
        few months back that used Kansas' "Dust in the Wind." Way to
        misinterpret a song, guys.

        --
        Cody B. / "codeman38"
        cody@...