[CF] Re: johnnies

  • Sorcha
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
      > jeff covey
      > i guess you make four so far. :) maybe a genetic predisposition toward
      > great books and auto-antipathy?

      Make that five. I'm Sarah Keepers (nick name Sorcha). I went to the
      Santa Fe campus of St. John's college from 85 to 87 for Frosh and Soph
      years. Had some fun times riding up the hill to campus. Maybe there
      is something to reading all that Greek stuff about creating the
      just state, civic responsibility and The Good. Maybe we can blame
      reading Kant and the categorical imperitive. When you think about it
      the catergorical imperitive (i.e. the Golden Rule in philosophy
      speak)is pretty similar to the eco statement that we need to analyze
      technology by asking the question 'what if everyone did this'?

      On the other hand, we know that Johnnies are just plain Nutz. ;)
      ...and you have to be a little unusual to ride to the grocery store in
      February in Minnesota, too.

      *Lifts frosty mug of chocolate soy milk to fellow Johnnies*

      Cheers,
      Sorcha
    • richardmasoner
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
        Rachel Alger wrote:
        > I have
        > found that looking like a woman gets me harassed less often than
        > when I tuck
        > my hair in a loose jacket and wear "male"-looking pants.

        I was talking a couple of months ago about making a left turn across a
        busy street. One of my cycling friends in town (an LCI) told me I
        should wear Terry women's cycling skorts and otherwise try to look
        female on the bike. Lauren says when she looks feminine, motorists are
        much more accomodating. Yet another reason for men to shave our legs.
        I'm slightly built so I could probably get away with it.

        Lauren (not Lauren Cooper in this group) is a serious atheletic road
        cyclist, but I've also seen her putter around town wearing long skirts.

        RFM
      • ensignaurora
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
          --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "richardmasoner" <richardmasoner@...>
          wrote:
          > should wear Terry women's cycling skorts and otherwise try to look
          > female on the bike. Lauren says when she looks feminine, motorists are
          > much more accomodating.

          Curious ........................ from my point of view, though, it
          seems that they are more intrusive, the feeling of being threatened
          for attack is increased because it's a girl on a bike instead of a guy.

          I suppose it might depend just on where one is riding.

          -Traci
          ("And another thing, it makes you feel h***y as hell!"---one
          girlfriend to another about why to ride a bike, (wtte), cartoon in
          Playboy)