a car in every garage

  • jeff covey
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
      good grief. someone's suggesting that the solution to overdependence on
      cars is to buy everybody cars:

      http://www.alternet.org/story/27723/

      --
      jeff covey
      http://jeffcovey.net/
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
        Maybe they should all have cars. Oil vanishes so much sooner that way :-)

        Shyrley

        jeff covey <jeff.covey@...> wrote:
        good grief. someone's suggesting that the solution to overdependence on
        cars is to buy everybody cars:

        http://www.alternet.org/story/27723/

        --
        jeff covey
        http://jeffcovey.net/

        Problem? Email: CarFree-owners@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        www.celyn.org"If we lose this war, oil will be $100 a barrel, and if we win, it will be, like, $25 a barrel." ~ Donald Rumsfeld, American Defense Secretary

      • Fitzsimmons, Diane
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
          This author writes:

          "The idea that driving a car is a lifestyle decision has long since
          become outmoded. Americans do love to drive, but these days, they also
          must drive. To be a fully functioning citizen in this country today, a
          car is a virtual necessity, and any American willing to work ought to be
          able to afford one. We use the tax code to subsidize most other work
          expenses. It's time we did the same for the most common and unavoidable
          of them all."

          If you ask me, the idea the driving a car is a lifestyle decision is one
          that has never arrived, let alone be here long enough to become
          outmoded.

          Diane Fitzsimmons
          Norman, Okla.,USA

        • Rob Duncan
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
            On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 13:29 -0600, Fitzsimmons, Diane wrote:
            > This author writes:
            >
            > "The idea that driving a car is a lifestyle decision has long since
            > become outmoded. Americans do love to drive, but these days, they also
            > must drive. To be a fully functioning citizen in this country today, a
            > car is a virtual necessity, and any American willing to work ought to be
            > able to afford one. We use the tax code to subsidize most other work
            > expenses. It's time we did the same for the most common and unavoidable
            > of them all."

            It sounds like a sneaky way to give corporate welfare to the struggling
            American auto industry.

            --
            Rob Duncan <duncan@...>
          • dub_scratch
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
              --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Rob Duncan <duncan@g...> wrote:

              > It sounds like a sneaky way to give corporate welfare to the struggling
              > American auto industry.
              >
              > --
              > Rob Duncan <duncan@g...>

              I suspect that this is a trial balloon idea in order to test the
              liberal waters for acceptance of a massive auto corporate
              welfare program. I am anticipating that there is going to be
              a big push here in the US for a huge car buyback program,
              promoted as a response to peak oil. I think the auto industry
              knows full and well that when oil declines do set in, they will
              be decimated. The idiotic acceptance of the idea that we
              should squander more resources on cars once resources
              get constrained is unfortunately widespread. Now if only
              the auto industry can get big-government loving pinko liberals
              to side with the coming welfare for cars program, certainly
              the car hugging Republicans would oblige.

              Notice also how this proposal demonstrates how liberals &
              Democrats have fallen, hook line & sinker, for the Republican
              idea of the inevitability of the car. Liberals, I have found, are
              convinced of the so called free market tested preference
              Americans have for their beloved traffic jams & car crashes.
              This is while ignoring the massive subsidies and preference
              cars get from our government.

              --Chris
            • Cody B.
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
                On 12/1/05, Fitzsimmons, Diane <dcfitzsimmons@...> wrote:
                > This author writes:
                >
                > "The idea that driving a car is a lifestyle decision has long since
                > become outmoded. Americans do love to drive, but these days, they also
                > must drive. To be a fully functioning citizen in this country today, a
                > car is a virtual necessity, and any American willing to work ought to be
                > able to afford one. We use the tax code to subsidize most other work
                > expenses. It's time we did the same for the most common and unavoidable
                > of them all."

                News flash to the author of that article: even if you *could* afford
                a car, that doesn't mean you'll necessarily have the skills to *drive*
                one. Aside from the whole issue of, oh, I don't know, driving lessons
                (if the state-funded driver ed program my parents made me go to in
                high school was any indication, they don't teach much at all), there's
                the whole issue of conditions such as epilepsy that might preclude one
                from driving safely. I guess those with such disabilities will still
                have to depend on the (usually non-existent) kindness of other
                drivers?

                Argh. I'm not even a hard-line car-free advocate, and this sickens
                me. As if the drivers out there weren't scary *enough*...

                --
                Cody B. / "codeman38"
                cody@...
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 4, 2005
                  The other day, as I rushed off on another task, I reflected how nice
                  it would be to have a home where there was sufficient room for proper
                  storage, for a staging area.

                  Such as having a two car garage. Of course, half it would go for
                  Uncia, but the other half would be my staging area, where I could
                  assemble, disassemble the articles for this or that trip (hopefully,
                  since this is all a dream, from nearby proper storage closets).

                  BUT .......... dream and wouldn't that be nice and just the issue of
                  money aside, is that right? Is that proper? I mean, it does serve one
                  purpose. Right now I think the reason why I use the car so much is
                  because I am so much in a rush, am so disorganized from going from
                  trip to another without time to regroup, to put things back where they
                  are accessible, for proper packing such as in a back pack. Ie, for
                  instance, tonight I couldn't find my more streamline aluminum thermos
                  that fits nicely in my pack.

                  Now, granted, it is a moot point since the decision was already made
                  to drive ......... but that decision was made on the rush issue.

                  But is it right? Is it right that I seek out more room just so I can
                  ride my bike? Looking at it from another standpoint, I'm one single
                  person. Is right for me to have a home with a two car garage? Doesn't
                  that seem a little bit wasteful?

                  -Traci
                  (We spend billions and billions of dollars to put one aircraft in the
                  air.---80's POV of a carrier and its escorts just so we can have air
                  suppority at sea, (w,stte))
                • SHYRLEY WILLIAMS
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 5, 2005
                    I think we're conditioned to think we need more space,
                    especially Americans with their much bigger homes.
                    Before we moved to the states we'd never had a house
                    with a garage. Never been an issue The bikes lived in
                    the back garden and I wheeled them through the house.
                    Bike gear was srt of scattered around the hallway.
                    But in the States our *stuff* expanded to fill the
                    garage space! It became necassary. When we moved home
                    we rented a house with a garage (the one we are in
                    now) and the gragae (single one) is bursting with bike
                    stuff, trailers, baby trailer, panniers, wet weather
                    gear, camping gear etc etc.
                    In Janruary we move to a house we've just bought. No
                    garage. No rear access (its terraced), tiny garden.
                    Once again the bikes will have to be wheeled through
                    the house every day, bike gear will have to go
                    smewhere. This time we have the added complication of
                    a disabled child with assorted wheelchairs, standers
                    etc that further reduce room in a small house. But
                    we'll have to deal cos there's no choice. I'm not
                    giving up my bike or using the car more cos its tough
                    wheeling the bike through the house!
                    There's no parking either so the car will be several
                    hundred yards away down a side road.
                    But a bit of incnvenience is worth it to remain
                    car-lite. While lack of cash forces us intoa small
                    house its also environmentally friendly. It'll take
                    less heating, especially as its terraced. I cringe
                    when I think of our large detatched American house,
                    all open plan so a bugger to heat or cool. Our energy
                    bills were stupidly high. And our house was small
                    compared to the ones being built further out in
                    Loudoun County. Monstrous 5000 sq ft houses for
                    families of 3 or 4. Disgareceful.
                    It'll just take bit more planning and maybe a bit
                    more messiness And with 6 of us in a small house, its
                    messy ;-)

                    Shyrley

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 5, 2005
                      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, SHYRLEY WILLIAMS
                      <shyrley.williams@b...> wrote:

                      > I think we're conditioned to think we need more space,
                      > especially Americans with their much bigger homes.

                      Probably. I started my adult life in a Regiment and on ships and
                      hence, there, didn't have much room (incidently, I did live on a
                      warship for two years).......but then again, had a lot less stuff as well.

                      No bike, no pets, no scuba gear, no armory, no computer complex (ie,
                      now, 4 computers, monitor, keyboard, mice, scanner, printer, data
                      storage), no VCR complex (4 vcr's, ooddles and ooddles of tapes, 3
                      tv's), no endless textbooks, other books, and the stuffed animal
                      collection was only that of one representative.

                      And, of course, now it is much different. There are the "complexes",
                      there are the kittens and their support, there are coolers, shelf
                      after shelf of books with more books around on the floors, in boxes,
                      that need a home, 2 coolers (one for biology samples, one for food),
                      and so forth. One gets the picture.

                      The interesting thing about having a bigger place or more space
                      efficeint stuff is that both are limited by money or the lack there
                      of. Ie, take the computers for example. Three towers (the other is an
                      old pizza box used for some small tasks) that divide various functions
                      between them. Ie, one is library and contains most of the application
                      programs, another is the internet computer, the third is being
                      possibly redone to be a luggable. And wouldn't a laptop be more
                      practical, space wise?

                      Catch is, can't afford a laptop. Can't build one which is why the
                      other three exist. They reuse parts of others, share systems. One key
                      board for three, one monitor for three. Three mice, haven't worked out
                      that problem yet.

                      But while I could afford to move into a two bedroom apartment, I can't
                      afford to move to something bigger. Both in pure cost and accumilated
                      benefit. Ie, got a bargain on the 2 bedroom but then again, I've been
                      in the same complex for 15 years.

                      So it is probably the consumerism, the materialism that "drives"? Hard
                      to say. That is, with what I do, it has a lot of bulk or a lot of
                      nonbulk at increased price, to it. But then again, with what I do, it
                      tends to be equipment intensive. Is that a product of materialism or
                      is that just the way it is? If one were to cross an colonial farmer
                      with a similar question, it would seem the latter. Ie, one has the
                      plow, the horse, the tools for the horse, something to sharpen the
                      plow, whatever as fertilizer, the soil, the seed, something to harvest
                      with, something to store with, etc..

                      Well, that explains, but does it solve? Not really and even answers
                      that do solve are not always the best. Ie, I might be able to put all
                      my books on the shelves so they all fit, all have someplace to go, all
                      in their tightly packed ......... and are probably unusable. What I
                      really want to do is have all my police books on one shelf, all my
                      psychology books on another, my water books on a third, and so forth.
                      Workable, but not too great on the use of space.

                      To say nothing of this or that disruption that throws everything off
                      the shelves so maintainance can get at the wall behind!

                      Further, even if it is materialism, it is done for a good reason. One
                      of my biggest shelving problems, something that has overflowed into
                      every room of the house except for the kitchen and bathroom, is that
                      of the stuffed animals. Where to put them? They probably number over
                      600 now. Where, even when I try to buy beanie baby size?

                      But the stuffed animal collection exists for a number of reasons. A
                      reminder of the nice things, that there are worst things to be
                      addicted than buying them, and something that I will leave the world
                      when I depart (they are willed to go to the children of a children's
                      hospital).

                      Sigh.

                      The best thing about all of it? I tend to know where everything is
                      ........ within 512 sq feet.

                      -Traci
                      ("Hi there! How have you beanie?????"--greeting card with a beanie
                      baby on the front, (wtte))
                    • SHYRLEY WILLIAMS
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 5, 2005
                        --- ensignaurora <tappants@...> wrote:

                        > But the stuffed animal collection exists for a
                        > number of reasons. A
                        > reminder of the nice things, that there are worst
                        > things to be
                        > addicted than buying them, and something that I will
                        > leave the world
                        > when I depart (they are willed to go to the children
                        > of a children's
                        > hospital).
                        >
                        > Sigh.
                        >
                        > The best thing about all of it? I tend to know where
                        > everything is
                        > ........ within 512 sq feet.
                        >
                        > -Traci

                        Why dont you take the toys to the kids now? Let them
                        be used as they should be? It'll feel good ya know.

                        Shyrley

                        www.celyn.org"If we lose this war, oil will be $100 a barrel, and if we win, it will be, like, $25 a barrel." ~ Donald Rumsfeld, American Defense Secretary

                        Yahoo! Model Search 2005 - Find the next catwalk superstars - http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hot/model-search/
                      • ensignaurora
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 5, 2005
                          <shyrley.williams@b...> wrote:

                          > --- ensignaurora <tappants@h...> wrote:
                          > > But the stuffed animal collection exists for a
                          > > number of reasons. A
                          > > reminder of the nice things, that there are worst
                          > > things to be
                          > > addicted than buying them, and something that I will
                          > > leave the world
                          > > when I depart (they are willed to go to the children
                          > > of a children's
                          > > hospital).
                          > > -Traci
                          >

                          > Why dont you take the toys to the kids now? Let them
                          > be used as they should be? It'll feel good ya know.
                          >
                          > Shyrley

                          Esentially, because they are mine. They are my protectors, my sanity,
                          my reminders that despite all the tactical knowledge I hold, all the
                          tactical capability I have, it is better to be nice in this world than
                          cold. Someone once told me that of the two things, I would probably
                          give up my gun before I would give up my stuffed animals.

                          They are the things that give me stability such as when I am arranging
                          them on the dresser. Putting playboy bunny ears on Fantasy, a unicorn
                          puppet with fantastic lashes, who then is admiring himself in the
                          mirror. Or one unicorn, Dawn, leaning up next to another unicorn, the
                          one with the cross around her neck. Buffy. Or the three unicorns, same
                          but for different color hooves on one shelf with another smaller one
                          at the end. Prue, Piper, Phoebe, Paige. Or the great big unicorn with
                          unicorn slippers on: Xena (acutally, came named that way).

                          They are my 2ndkidhd (second kidhood). They give me the oppurtunity to
                          live again as a child, if in something of an approved way.

                          There is Uni who sits on my car dashboard, the unicorn who protects me
                          in the car. There is his sister in the house. Eunice. There are
                          holiday entourages that I take to Mom's house. My six foot vampire bat
                          is still up there from Halloween. The Christmas entourage is huge,
                          with everything. There are lots of Easter ones including a purple
                          bunny with a huge carrot. Mine, all mine!

                          They "are there in my thoughts" when I ask them to pick
                          representatives incase I have to do a bailout evac from my place.
                          "Take the puppets" since they can be used to cheer children the most.

                          Some come from early, early childhood. Such as stuffed Hanna Barbera
                          mice (one with a bow tie). Some come from early adult hood when I
                          started collecting unicorns. A love affair or two. Some were given to
                          me as presents in general. Some were given to me as specific presents
                          when I got into marine biology. One was rescued from a roadway.

                          I decorate them with jewelry, bandanas, leg warmers, ears, masks,
                          capes. There is the Winged Avenger. "Mild mannered Rickie Raccoon
                          spends his day as an accountant. But at night, he dons his mask and
                          cape and becomes the Winged Avenger, protector to stuffed animals
                          everywhere!"

                          Some are representatives of my last cat, Morgan. Black cats here and
                          there. Others are something of representations of my mother since she
                          alerts me to where stuffed animals are being sold that would be in my
                          interest, points out the stores where they are. She lets me know when
                          unicorns are being sold here and there. Some, that I inherited, were
                          the stuffed dogs that were in my father's room at the nursing home
                          when he couldn't walk his own dogs anymore.

                          They are reflections from tv. Seen my stuffed animals with Allyson
                          Hannigan, on Dawn's and Kelly's bed. They are reminders of past times.
                          I was compared, because of Uni, to the girl with half the toy store in
                          her car (one of my gate sentries had stuffed animals in her car). One
                          of my snow leopards came to me in one my dreams to rescue me, years ago.

                          What I donate now is food to the animal shelters. Now is not the time
                          for the stuffed animals to be given to others.

                          -Traci
                          ("They found Jacobs, or what was left of him, torn to shreds."--1st
                          bad guy
                          "Jacobs made the mistake of attacking her on home ground. Where she
                          has all those stuffed animals and figurines. Her protectors. She's a
                          witch and she just released the spirits that they all contain."--2nd
                          bad guy, my mythology in relation to my collections)
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 5, 2005
                            On 5 Dec 2005 at 9:05, ensignaurora wrote:

                            > One key
                            > board for three, one monitor for three. Three mice, haven't worked out
                            > that problem yet.

                            A switch box that emulates the mouse to each computer. Then those
                            operating systrems that turn off the mousae if it is not connected all
                            the time are happy.

                            --
                            David Hansen, Edinburgh
                            I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 5, 2005
                              On 5 Dec 2005 at 8:31, SHYRLEY WILLIAMS wrote:

                              > In Janruary we move to a house we've just bought. No
                              > garage. No rear access (its terraced), tiny garden.
                              > Once again the bikes will have to be wheeled through
                              > the house every day, bike gear will have to go
                              > smewhere.

                              Such houses tend to have ground floor rooms that make a good garage.
                              Either the front room or the rear room if this has not been made into
                              one room. The kitchen and rear room can make a living area, with the
                              front room as a garage.

                              > its also environmentally friendly. It'll take
                              > less heating, especially as its terraced.

                              Cavity wall and loft insulation make a worthwhile difference to heating
                              bills in old houses. There is often a grant for the work.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 5, 2005
                                --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "David Hansen" <davidh@s...> wrote:

                                > On 5 Dec 2005 at 9:05, ensignaurora wrote:
                                >
                                > > One key
                                > > board for three, one monitor for three. Three mice, haven't worked out
                                > > that problem yet.
                                >
                                > A switch box that emulates the mouse to each computer. Then those
                                > operating systrems that turn off the mousae if it is not connected all
                                > the time are happy.

                                Mmmmmmmm, that is what I use for the monitor and keyboard, a four
                                element switch box. Problem what I've found in the past, however, is
                                when I start up, mouse 1 works fine. Switch to computer 2. The mouse
                                may or may not respond. Switch back to computer 1. Mouse is
                                unresponsive. As said, still working on that one.

                                -Traci
                                ("What's the plan tonight, Brain?"--Pinky,lab mouse
                                "What it is every night, Pinky. To find a way to take over the
                                world."--Brain, super lab mouse, (wtte), "Pinky and the Brain")
                              • SHYRLEY WILLIAMS
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 5, 2005
                                  David Hansen <davidh@...> wrote: On 5 Dec 2005 at 8:31, SHYRLEY WILLIAMS wrote:

                                  > In Janruary we move to a house we've just bought. No
                                  > garage. No rear access (its terraced), tiny garden.
                                  > Once again the bikes will have to be wheeled through
                                  > the house every day, bike gear will have to go
                                  > smewhere.

                                  Such houses tend to have ground floor rooms that make a good garage.
                                  Either the front room or the rear room if this has not been made into
                                  one room. The kitchen and rear room can make a living area, with the
                                  front room as a garage.

                                  Looking into ceilinng hoist thingies for the bikes.

                                  > its also environmentally friendly. It'll take
                                  > less heating, especially as its terraced.

                                  Cavity wall and loft insulation make a worthwhile difference to heating
                                  bills in old houses. There is often a grant for the work.

                                  Shyrley

                                  --
                                  David Hansen, Edinburgh
                                  I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents
                                  me

                                  Problem? Email: CarFree-owners@yahoogroups.com

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  www.celyn.org"If we lose this war, oil will be $100 a barrel, and if we win, it will be, like, $25 a barrel." ~ Donald Rumsfeld, American Defense Secretary

                                • Dorothy Camer
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 7, 2005
                                    Getting around is a life style decision that most of us want. But
                                    there are ways to change our dependence on personal driving. No one
                                    likes to drive in modern gridlock circumstances. If we had customized
                                    group taxi service, we'd be quite willing to leave the driving to well
                                    qualified licensed drivers. The system is less expensive than car
                                    ownership. Read the first version of my book at
                                    <www.geocities.com/takoma20912> and visit our website at
                                    <www.carfree.biz> and see how easy you could have such a system.
                                  • SHYRLEY WILLIAMS
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 7, 2005
                                      Gosh. Plugging again. Hope all your taxi's have
                                      special needs seating for disabled kids and adults
                                      plus ramps for wheelchairs.

                                      Shyrley

                                      --- Dorothy Camer <takoma20912@...> wrote:

                                      > Getting around is a life style decision that most
                                      > of us want. But
                                      > there are ways to change our dependence on personal
                                      > driving. No one
                                      > likes to drive in modern gridlock circumstances. If
                                      > we had customized
                                      > group taxi service, we'd be quite willing to leave
                                      > the driving to well
                                      > qualified licensed drivers. The system is less
                                      > expensive than car
                                      > ownership. Read the first version of my book at
                                      > <www.geocities.com/takoma20912> and visit our
                                      > website at
                                      > <www.carfree.biz> and see how easy you could have
                                      > such a system.

                                      > --------------------~-->
                                      > Help save the life of a child. Support St. Jude
                                      > Children's Research Hospital.

                                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/f4eSOB/lbOLAA/E2hLAA/xbTolB/TM

                                      Memorable Quotes by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld"I would not say that the future is necessarily less predictable than the past. I think the past was not predictable when it started.""We do know of certain knowledge that he [Osama Bin Laden] is either in Afghanistan, or in some other country, or dead.""Death has a tendency to encourage a depressing view of war.""I believe what I said yesterday. I don't know what I said, but I know what I think, and, well, I assume it's what I said."

                                    • Dorothy Camer
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 7, 2005
                                        It's a dream that more space would mean better organization. We have
                                        almost unlimited space on harddrives and email storage but are we
                                        more organized. More space and more things means more work for
                                        someone. Even if one is wealthy enough to be able to hire help, it
                                        still means more organization to instruct the help.
                                        We have cars because right now it is the most efficient way to get
                                        around that we know of. But well-organized ride sharing would be
                                        more efficient. Capitalists have mis-interpreted Adams Smith.
                                        Smith is right that land, labor, and profit comprise production.
                                        Land which includes rent, transportation, those things which don't
                                        actually go into the product, is limited. Profit is the incentive to
                                        drive us to produce. Labor depends on skill, talent, technology.
                                        Smith observed that labor can be increased through organization, thus
                                        division of labor where each task is done by differenct groups could
                                        produce faster than than if each group does everything. Assemby
                                        lines are a result of that. Computers also organize to permit each
                                        individual to produce more.
                                        Through organization of transportation, we can increase the
                                        productivity of our roads and vehicles. Read my book online at
                                        <www.geocities.com/takoma20912>
                                        Our current auto-dependency impedes mobility because it introduces
                                        friction. Each vehicle inhibits the other vehicles. Think about. it.