RE: [CF] Re: Bikes and Peds Don't Get a Fair Shake

    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 2, 2005
      On 1 Nov 2005 at 15:52, Fitzsimmons, Diane wrote:

      > I know two different cyclists who believe they were
      > saved serious head injury by wearing one.

      http://www.cyclehelmets.org/mf.html?1019 is a good introduction to this
      claim.

      > In one case, the helmet cracked in two.

      From the above comes this, "A helmet is a fragile piece of equipment.
      On seeing a damaged one, it is easy to assume that a serious injury has
      been prevented. Cycle helmets split very readily, and often at forces
      much lower than those that would lead to serious head injury. Helmets
      work by absorbing impact energy through the crushing of an expanded
      polystyrene liner. Once compressed the liner stays compressed. It does
      not bounce back to its original form like reusable helmets for some
      other activities. If a helmet splits before the liner has partially or
      fully compressed - and this is often the case - then it has simply
      failed. It will not have provided the designed protection and may in
      fact have absorbed very little energy at all."

      > However, I understand that every time I let my kid out the front door
      > and especially to ride a bicycle in the street I am taking a chance.

      You are certainly taking a chance. Indeed you are taking a chance by
      having them inside the house, where there are many dangers.

      Is cycling especially dangerous? No it isn't.

      > A helmet will help in some cases.

      If we are talking about fatal head injuries [1] then walking and
      travelling by car are more dangerous than cycling, in absolute and
      relative terms. Do you insist on them wearing helmets in these
      circumstances? I am not picking on you, just asking questions. De's
      pages are also a useful read on this issue.

      [1] head injuries where the person would not have died from other
      causes anyway. Even a perfect helmet is of no use at all if people die
      from other injuries.

      I will *always* explain why I revoke a key, unless the UK
      government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
    • Ed Beighe
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 4, 2005
        > I went ahead across the intersection and felt like a dork

        But why would you feel anything other than you are a pedestrian crossing in a crosswalk with vehicles yielding to you, as they are required to do?
        You may suffer from "pedestrian inferiority complex".

        [for those of you not familar with Effective cycling, cyclist inferiority complex is the term Forester coined to describe the condition of cyclists who believe they must never, ever, impede a motor vehicle]