Re: [CF] Re: Folding bikes?

    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 3, 2005
      RJM> I have confidence in the strength of their chromoly frames
      RJM> (I've cracked two aluminum folders).

      =v= Hmm, the nice-looking Dahon Helios folders are aluminum:

      http://www.times-up.org/gallery/view.php?photoid=232

      As are the new lower-priced Swift Folders:

      http://www.times-up.org/gallery/view.php?photoid=230

      Should I worry?

      >> I am rather impressed with the folding mechanism

      DH> I have yet to see anything that betters it.

      >> - but how are the 16" wheels?

      DH> As others have said they need to be got used to, which takes
      DH> anything from a few minutes to a few hours depending on the
      DH> person.

      =v= I've tried and tried and tried, but I've never gotten used
      to those wheels. There's a little aftermarket device that holds
      the handlebars more firmly together and improves the ride:

      http://www.things.org/~jym/bicycles/pix/roundup-nyc-1.jpg

      But even with that, I never liked the ride. Maybe it's because
      of my height, I dunno.

      DH> Once used to it the steering is precise and the small wheels
      DH> mean one accelerates more quicky from a stop.

      =v= Also true of 20" wheels, and I've come to prefer riding my
      folder in city traffic. I'd love to see a bike with Brompton's
      fold and 20" wheels ...

      =v= As for locking bikes outside, like a lot of people in NYC I
      use the "beater bike" approach, but these are also folding bikes
      because otherwise I couldn't fit them in my apartment. Here's
      my cheap early-1970s Italian folding bike fleet:

      http://www.things.org/~jym/bicycles/pix/barbarellas.jpg

      http://www.things.org/~jym/bicycles/pix/safari-redhead-blonde.jpg

      Nobody wants to steal these, especially the "blonde" one with
      its deceptively rusty fenders.
      <_Jym_>
    • Robert J. Matter
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 3, 2005
        Jym Dyer wrote:

        > RJM> I have confidence in the strength of their chromoly frames
        > RJM> (I've cracked two aluminum folders).
        >
        > =v= Hmm, the nice-looking Dahon Helios folders are aluminum:
        >
        > http://www.times-up.org/gallery/view.php?photoid=232
        >
        > As are the new lower-priced Swift Folders:
        >
        > http://www.times-up.org/gallery/view.php?photoid=230
        >
        > Should I worry?

        Not unless your body weight plus gear weight exceeds 180-230 pounds.
        Aluminum folders are typically rated in that weight range.

        I weigh 230 pounds. Add 5-10 pounds for clothes depending on the season
        and 25-50 pounds of pack weight and I am too heavy for aluminum folders.

        So far my steel Dahon Stowaway has held up under my weight.

        -Bob Matter
        -----------
        "Mass transit carries 16 times more people than domestic airlines do,
        but mass transit security has only received $250 million from the
        federal government since 9/11, compared to $18 billion for aviation. New
        York's Penn Station alone sees more people in a morning rush hour than
        O'Hare International Airport handles in 2-1/2 days." --Rosemary
        Sheridan, American Public Transportation Association, "Transit moves
        calmly to high alert", StreetWise, Jul 27-Aug 2, 2005
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 3, 2005
          =v= Folks in or near New York City who are interested in
          or curious about folding bikes should go to the Folds Up!
          Folding Bike Ride and/or Folding Bike Festival this Saturday:

          http://www.times-up.org/foldsup.php

          >> Should I worry?
          > Not unless your body weight plus gear weight exceeds 180-230
          > pounds. Aluminum folders are typically rated in that weight
          > range.

          =v= In NYC, my bike chains and locks alone weigh 180lbs. :^)
          <_Jym_>
        • todd fahrner
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 3, 2005
            Robert J. Matter <rjmatter@...> writes:

            > I wouldn't mind having a Brompton myself except they are expensive and I
            > would be reluctant to ever leave one locked outside. It is inconvenient
            > to take your bike inside with you all the time. I do more than just go
            > to work on my bike. I also go to plays, concerts, movies, restaurants,
            > etc. I also wouldn't want to subject an expensive bike to the brutal
            > weather and road conditions in Chicagoland.

            I don't carry a lock with the Brompton; I don't find it inconvenient to take
            in. In the instant half-fold configuration, with inline skate wheels mounted
            at the pivot, it scoots around unobtrusively like a rolling carry-on bag. I
            load groceries right into the front bag with the bike standing half-folded
            on its own. People stare, but it doesn't read as a bike; I've never been
            asked to leave it outside. You can also pop it folded into a shopping
            cart or on the low rack of one. I've taken it into crowded theaters (OK,
            only once, and it was a bike film festival), restaurants (coat check or
            under table), banks, hospitals, libraries, and as gate-checked airline
            luggage. It's an even bigger conversation-starter indoors than out.

            As for cost and harsh climate exposure, it's within the OP's stated budget,
            and the powder coat, hub gearing, and full fenders with flaps and
            generator lighting options make it ready for the dark months. Though I'd
            be wary of ice and wet metal riding surfaces....

            > If someone was looking for a folder for mainly short distance all-season
            > commuting too/from bus or train in a higher-theft metro area like NYC or
            > Chicago, I would look at the Dahon Boardwalk 6. It is strong, reasonably
            > light, folds fast, and is fairly compact. It won't break any speed
            > records, but at 1/4 the cost of a Brompton, it won't break the bank either.

            I have ridden a Boardwalk 6. I thought the ride was as good or better than
            that of the Brompton - more relaxed, almost cruiser-like. But in the other
            areas, well, the price difference showed.
          • De Clarke
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 3, 2005
              I have a B and my only gripe is that it's a relative PITA
              to change a tube. yes the handling is a bit squirrelly but
              you can get used to that; yes it's heavy for its size, but
              hey, people pay to lift weights in gyms :-) I just dread
              getting a flat. also mine is an older model with the now
              obsolete S-A hub gears.

              the front pannier is a joy. weight of the cargo is on the
              frame, *not* on the bars.

              de

              :Mail: de@... | Your planet's immune system is trying to get rid :
              :Web: www.ucolick.org | of you. --Kurt Vonnegut :
              :1024D/B9C9E76E | F892 5F17 8E0A F095 05CD EE8B D169 EDAA B9C9 E76E:
            • De Clarke
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 3, 2005
                http://www.truthout.org/issues_05/100305EC.shtml