Re: [CarFree] Digest Number 302

  • Karen Sandness
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2000

      > From: buddhabuddha@...
      > From: Whitney Turner <wturner@...>
      > From: buddhabuddha@...
      > From: Ed Beighe <ebeighe@...>
      > From: "Ross or Judy" <rossjudy@...>
      > From: "Lorenzo L. Love" <lllove@...>
      > From: rkerr@...
      > 8. Re: Side lights
      > From: buddhabuddha@...
      > 9. Re: Side lights
      > From: John Snyder <JCSnyder.studio@...>

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:02:54 -0400 (EDT)
      > From: buddhabuddha@...
      > Subject: HTML and other stuff
      >
      > As the owner and co=moderator of this list i guess i need to put my two
      > cents in. I am a hands off kind of guy so i do not plan on making any
      > rules and i don't think we need any. but I will say that many times I
      > can not read posts that are in html the color while it looks pretty is a
      > real problem. So if you want what you say to be read by all you might
      > want to keep it simple.
      >
      > School busses questions if I am riding along on my bike and a school bus
      > flashes its red lights am I required to stop ?
      >
      > Question I am planning on giving input to the local zoning board on a
      > new center city project they are looking at. It is supposed to be
      > bike/pedestrian friendly I am looking for ideas.
      > one thing for sure I want to address is a good locking system for bikes
      > and a good sitting system for ped. any links ?
      >
      > I roller skate I ride my bike don't ride no car
      > don't go too fast but I go pretty far.
      > CarFree and Proud to be

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 19:02:43 -0400
      > From: Whitney Turner <wturner@...>
      > Subject: Re: HTML and other stuff
      >
      > At 05:02 PM 10/27/00 -0400, buddhabuddha@... wrote:
      > >School busses questions if I am riding along on my bike and a school bus
      > >flashes its red lights am I required to stop ?
      >
      > If you wish to *be* a part of traffic, you must act as part of
      > traffic. (not intended to sound harsh, just simplest way of saying it. :-)
      >
      > >Question I am planning on giving input to the local zoning board on a
      > >new center city project they are looking at. It is supposed to be
      > >bike/pedestrian friendly I am looking for ideas.
      > >one thing for sure I want to address is a good locking system for bikes
      > >and a good sitting system for ped. any links ?
      >
      > Look online for the Graber Bike Bank - we have those in some locations here
      > in Fort Lauderdale, and they're grrrreat! The only headache is that you
      > cannot use the big Kryptonite Cable (LockZilla?) with them, but any U-lock
      > or midsize keyed padlock would be good. Nicest thing about them is the
      > center column - you can store helmet, etc. in it so you don't have to carry
      > it about with you. I usually do anyways, as advertising! :-)
      >
      > Hope it helps!
      >
      > Whitney

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 19:49:07 -0400 (EDT)
      > From: buddhabuddha@...
      > Subject: Re: almost run down 2
      So now I have to find
      > some kind of light for the side of bike.
      > any ideas ?
      >
      > buddha

      Back in my earlier cycling days (as a graduate student on the East Coast
      and as a beginning instructor in Corvallis, Oregon), I used to wear what
      amount to flashlights that you strap around your legs.

      They provide a moving light that is visible from the side.

      I don't bike much anymore, because I live so close to downtown and other
      conveniences that I mostly walk or take transit, but you might want to
      check out your local bike store to see if such things are still
      available. Best of all, they can double as pants clips, depending on
      where you position them.

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness
    • Jon Farley
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2000
        >Buddha wrote
        Just return from the local store almost did not make it. It was just
        > after dusk as I rode down the street a car pulled up from a cross street
        > she got to the corner just as i was passing it. she pulled out directly
        > into my path the only thing that saved me was that she pulled out slowly
        > and at an angle fiving me time to slide over and yell. She was an older
        > women who stoped the car and was upset and said I could not see you from
        > the side. I had a hard time understanding this since i had a bright
        > head light and flashing tail lights. However After I got home and calmed
        > down I took a look and low and behold she was right. She got to the
        > corner after I passed it so could not see the head light and I had not
        > yet passed so she could not see the tail llight. So now I have to find
        > some kind of light for the side of bike.
        > any ideas ?

        I don't want to stop you getting more lights if you want to but this old
        chestnuit of 'I didn't see you' is what most drivers trot out. I have heard
        this line when I have been decked like a Christmas tree at night and in the
        day when I was dressed in luminous green and yellow. Car drivers aren't
        expecting to see anything other than a car. Motorcyclists suffer from the
        same problem. My sister was recently knocked off a bike by someone pulling
        out (during day time) and he claimed he didn't see her. He (Like many
        drivers) underwstimated hwer speed and thought he could nip out quickly -
        he couldn't. So now he has to do 2 days of driver retraining and pay for it!

        Light yourself up by all means but don't assume that car drivers will
        a) see you
        b) treat you as a legitimate road user

        Cheers

        Jon
        -----------------------------
        help the hungry
        http://www.thehungersite.com/
      • Ross or Judy
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2000
          >Light yourself up by all means but don't assume that car drivers will
          >a) see you
          >b) treat you as a legitimate road user
          >Cheers
          >Jon

          c) and if they see you , they are aiming for you !
          Ross