RE: [CF] Go Ahead and Drive Less, if You Can

  • SHYRLEY WILLIAMS
    Message 1 of 52 , Oct 1, 2005
      --- "Scherer, Christopher"
      <christopher_scherer@...> wrote:

      > Chris
      > Currently childless (but looking for a kid, if
      > anybody has one they want
      > to give up) in Princeton Junction, NJ and
      > considering a move to some
      > place with 'better' nature, like Montana.

      Where do I send them?

      Shyrley (who has 4, one a bit broken but still cute)

      I was gonna take over the world but I got distracted by something shiny

    • ensignaurora
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 11, 2005
        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "whistling_lass" <whistling_lass@y...>
        wrote:
        > Well, I wasn't implying that someone should have more than one
        > vehicle. However, after mulling it over, I don't see why it couldn't
        > be a good thing. First of all, yuppies are all about ego, thinking
        > they're better, etc. They are selfish for having an SUV in the first
        > place. So, it would indeed be selfish to have more than one vehicle,
        > but if that means they drive the compact car for most trips and save
        > the SUV for when they need it, it's better than driving the SUV for
        > every trip.

        Well, there is also another problem, something that was pointed out to
        me on this list when I was buying the Forester, a suggestion that I
        try to buy a used Forester (btw, near as I can tell, no such animal).
        I'll see if I can restate the gest of it.

        A car isn't only "bad" because it uses gas, because it pollutes, but
        because it wastes so much in its construction, in its disposal, in its
        existance.If one looks at a dealership, there is just row after row of
        car that has already made an impact on the environment. Every person
        who wants a new car from the factory contributes to that because first
        of all, more impact is generated by building a new car at the factory
        and a car on the lot, secondly, that might have been bought, isn't.

        This was, I think, the reason behind the push for a used car. By
        buying a car that was already in existance, it stops the push for a
        new car to be built at the cost of the environment, does not drive the
        market to put out new cars which may be in every possible color for
        just the chance of being bought on the lot.

        But for one driver to have two cars sort of pushes the market to
        produce more cars. The makers know or believe that people out there
        will drive more than one car so it is not a case of where they have to
        pick the one choice to satisfy the driver hunger. If there are many
        desires, open possibilities of one driver but many cars, then they can
        afford to flood the market (the dealer lot) with many different
        models, many different impacts.

        I think that's how it went. Thinking one kind of car for one trip but
        another kind of car for another trip may sound okay for the short run
        but it rather pales in the big picture.

        .................and then there were those on this list who thought I
        was an agent for the oil companies!

        -Traci
        ("The rabbits are coming, hurrah, hurrah! The rabbits are coming,
        hurrah, hurrah!"--Bugs
        "Millions and millions of rabbits! Where are they all coming
        from?"--Elmer being overrunned
        "I'm multiplying, Doc!", Bugs behind a minugraph machine, (w,stte),
        "Bugs Bunny")