OT: Cleveland

  • Michele Doney
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 12:38 PM
      David said:

      >>I love hearing stories like this, Our city put bike
      racks on all of our buses, even the little circulars.
      Our car free group presented the RTA with an award for
      their efforts. Getting around this city is a breeze
      now. It makes for a great place to live.<<

      And then Brett said:

      >> I grew up
      out in the Parkview Village/Fairview Park area...
      out across the valley from the Cleveland Hopkins
      Airport and NASA Lewis Propulsion Lab (where my
      father worked)....

      Two things I appreciated about Greater Cleveland
      were the "Emerald Necklace" greenbelt area that
      more or less completely circled Cleveland and the
      Rapid Transit light rail system which I believe
      was one of the earliest light rail systems...

      ...those two wonderful aspects of the
      Cleveland of my youth, (over 40 years ago!) the
      greenbelt (I grew up hiking in those woodlands)
      and the light rail system (which I used frequently
      to get to the downtown public library and to get
      across town to visit the University circle area
      with the fantastic Cleveland Symphony, Art
      Museum--especially the "May Show" and Asian arts
      exhibit--- and the Natural History Museum)<<

      Wow... all this talk of Cleveland is making me
      nostalgic. I lived there from 1998 to 2002, and even
      in that short time, I fell in love with the place. I
      moved back east for a better job and to be closer to
      my parents (who are retired now), but I miss Cleveland
      dearly. Lived on the west side (Parma), worked on the
      east side (South Euclid), spent countless Saturdays on
      the beach at Edgewater Park. I only wish Long Island
      Bus would follow Cleveland's example and allow bikes
      on all the buses. The NYC city buses allow it, but
      not out here in Nassau County. Just another reason to
      miss Cleveland...

      Of course, there's a chance that I may be able to stop
      using public transportation to commute to work and
      rely entirely on HPV for that. The price of real
      estate out here is insane, but a small miracle has
      occurred: A small apartment building two miles from
      my office has gone co-op, and the units are fairly
      small, which means they are within my price range.
      Not only will this be the first time I owned a home
      (to the extent that co-op living equals home
      ownership) rather than renting, but two miles is
      easily bikeable/scooterable/walkable. I have a call
      in to the agent listing the property. Wish me luck!

      Michele

      Michele Doney
      doneym@...

      "To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die." -- Inscription in a window at Blanford Church, Petersburg, VA

      "Intellectual honesty is a skill that has to be learned and a virtue that has to be practiced; it often requires you to accept unpleasant conclusions." --J. Hodges

      Make Yahoo! your home page
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Brett Breitwieser
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 2:07 PM
        Location... location... location...
        it's what makes my situation here in Phoenix
        bearable... I'm two blocks off the canals with
        about 200 miles of bikeways within easy reach as a
        result... when everyone else is caught up in
        traffic snarl I have only the ducks to keep me
        company.... ;*)

        I really wish you luck!!!!!!! I will send
        Dzambhala energy towards you (Tibetan Wealth
        God)...

        Price... Price... Price...
        the real estate prices here in Arizona are still
        well within reach, an excellent contrast to Santa
        Cruz California ("Silicon Beach", bedroom
        community for Silicon Valley types, prices off the
        chart!) that I moved out of 2 years ago... for
        what I would pay in low-level rent for three
        months in Santa Cruz, I bought 3 acres in
        Northeastern Arizona next to the painted desert...
        I tell my friends that I have a great beachfront
        property, just no ocean! First time I've been a
        landowner.... I plan on getting around by
        mule..... the main livestock auction place for the
        Dine (Navajo) is just 2 miles from my land....

        Anyway, good luck on your real estate purchase!

        Brett Breitwieser (brett@...)
        Internet Technician, Hypnotherapist, Green,
        Buddhist, HPV3er
        http://HPV3.US
        http://www.trikke.com/usa/arizumabrett

      • Barry Childress
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2 8:39 AM
          My Mom lives in Mesa, AZ. At 84 she still rides her bike to the store to pick up a few things, rides around with friends (lots of places to ride side by side.)

          When I went out to visit her we had a great time riding around. But I don’t get how LAB gave Mesa, AZ and Washington, DC Bronze Bicycle Friendly Awards. What a difference between the two!

          I borrowed my step dad’s bike and road out to the Superstition Mountains and back (~60 miles round trip.) Once out of town the roads narrow and no bike lane. And I encountered one obnoxious impatient driver. I find it interesting that while there are a number of cyclists who ride the Superstition’s most start from a parking lot at the base. And there are a number of cyclists who ride in town and I was ridding in-between these two, in no-cycle land when I encountered this driver. There seems to be these unwritten rules where and where not bikes are allowed in a lot of places. I wish there was a way to directly address this kind of thinking. If you talk to these people they say they are glad to see people out ridding but they are thinking of bikes on roads x, y and z, but if they encounter a bike on roads a, b or c they get really annoyed. This segregation of bikes and cars and how they bikes should only be designated bike areas needs to be addressed.

          -=Barry=-

          Brett Breitwieser <brett@...> wrote:Location... location... location...
          it's what makes my situation here in Phoenix
          bearable... I'm two blocks off the canals with
          about 200 miles of bikeways within easy reach as a
          result... when everyone else is caught up in
          traffic snarl I have only the ducks to keep me
          company.... ;*)

          Cycling Advocate
          BaltimoreSpokes.org
          . . .o