Re: [CF] Re: how not to get hit by motorists...

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 1, 2005
      On Apr 1, 2005, at 7:08 PM, whistling_lass wrote:

      > --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, De Clarke <de@u...> wrote:
      >
      > > a lot of drivers have "tried" to hit me but so far, strategic
      > > positioning and defensive riding -- and a pinch o' luck -- have
      > > thwarted their nefarious schemes.
      >
      > Now, see, that's the kind of shit that really pisses me off.  Why
      > would someone intentionally try to harm another person?  I'm scared at
      > the thought, too, b/c I don't cycle real well.  I usually end up
      > waiting at intersections until there's no one close enough to bother
      > me.
      >
      > I didn't get right-hooked today.  Someone made a left in front of me,
      > figuring they'd make it before I did.  I legally had the right of way.
      > And the other one would have been a right hook if I hadn't been
      > paying attention.  At the risk of offending anyone, it was one of
      > those soccer moms in the mini van who can't navigate the thing b/c
      > it's too big, and I think she was yakking on her phone, too.

      I agree-- What De suggests, I regularly try, and it works with the more
      rational motorists: I also try to make eye contact whenever possible
      (though unfortunately the US, unlike Canada, allows people to haide
      themeselves behind tinted windshields) and elicit a sign of
      acknowledgement.

      BUT there are some raving maniacs out there. The ones who want to be
      first in the right lane at an intersection so they can go tearing off
      on the green light to pass in front of everyone on the left. Several
      months ago, I had one woman get in a fit of rage because I wasn't
      leaving the whole lane clear for her to do this: once I had advanced
      about halfway into the intersection on the green light, she floored it
      past me, giving a blast of her horn at the same time to tell me to get
      the BEEEP out of HER way on HER road. Two, perhaps three other times, I
      have been riding a metre or more out in the right lane, which no-one
      else was using, when some impatient speeder decided to use it as a
      passing lane, making a sudden lane change to the right and flooring the
      accelerator to get past those other G**D**N drivers blocking HIS way,
      without the slightest concern for my safety (and continuing on at what
      looked like twice the speed limit). Despite my habit of looking in my
      handlebar mirror every few seconds, I had no way of realizing what was
      going on until they were right on me. The two cases I remember clearly
      were *very* close shaves and I could have easily been hit and sent
      several dozen metres out ahead onto the road. I can tell you, I was
      quivering after these incidents.

      You can expect most drivers to be basically well-intentioned people who
      are just forgetting (unfortunately) to use all their faculties for the
      task of driving, and occupying your lane and using the other strategies
      De mentions works well with them, but you can never tell when you have
      to deal with someone who doesn't care the slightest about what happens
      to you. These are the people that drive me up onto the sidewalk just to
      be safe.

      Christopher Miller
      Washington DC/Mount Rainier, Maryland
      USA

    • richardmasoner
      Message 42 of 42 , Apr 4, 2005
        "Michael Graff" <michael.graff@p...> wrote:
        > Yes, if yer in a furrin country that drives on the wrong side of the
        > road. 8-)

        What furrin countries besides Japan and the UKOGBANI still insist on
        driving on the wrong side of the road? :-)

        My first and only "left cross" was actually a "right cross" in a
        furrin country. I went over the hood of a Datsun Fairlady Z and
        smacked into the windshield, where I got a wonderful view of the
        driver as she screamed. The bike went under the car and was destroyed.
        I rolled off the hood and landed on my feet. This was about 25 years
        ago when I was a teenager.

        RFM