Re: [CF] I'm back!

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2005
      On 31 Mar 2005 at 10:43, De Clarke wrote:

      > on a path
      > clearly marked for mixed use, with two way bike traffic very obvious and
      > constant, I do find it kinda rude when four or five peds spread out to
      > block the entire 8-9 ft wide pavement, or when people simply stop and
      > gather in a chatting clump without leaving *any* space for others --
      > foot, skate, perambulator or bike -- to get by. Americans seem very
      > clueless sometimes about the concept of "sharing" or making any
      > provision for others, doubtless something about the Zeitgeist. The
      > notion of thinking about the impact of one's actions on others in the
      > vicinity doesn't seem to register.

      Some pedestrians do the same thing on the cycle paths in Edinburgh, so
      it is not unique behaviour.

      I will *always* explain why I revoke a key, unless the UK
      government prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
    • Robert J. Matter
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 1, 2005
        David Hansen wrote:

        > Some pedestrians do the same thing on the cycle paths in Edinburgh, so
        > it is not unique behaviour.

        Speaking of Edinburgh there's going to be a massive Critical Mass ride
        there July 1. Darn, wish I could be there for that.

        Below is a complete calendar of events surrounding the G8 meetings.

        -Bob Matter
        Chicago Critical Mass

        http://www.theherald.co.uk/politics/36473.html#

        APRIL

        10 – 16 Week-long vigil by Donald Dewar's statue in Glasgow to mark
        global week of action on trade.

        24 – 26 Oxfam live events held in Aberdeen, Glasgow, and Edinburgh.

        MAY

        24 March begins from Birmingham, the location of the 1998 G8 meeting, to
        Gleneagles.

        JUNE

        10 – 11 Protesters are planning to gather at the meeting of G8 Finance
        ministers in London.

        16 – 17 More protesters are expected for the meeting of the G8 justice
        and interior ministers in Sheffield, home town of David Blunkett, the
        former home secretary.

        17 – 25 Bike rides set off from Brighton, London, Birmingham,
        Southampton, Ross-on-Wye, and a rickshaw cavalcade leaves from
        Westminster, with joint aim of arriving in Edinburgh for July 1, in time
        for Critical Mass (see below).

        22 "Community anarchy projects" around Gleneagles, Glasgow, and
        Edinburgh planned to start in run-up to summit, in preparation for
        demonstrations in Edinburgh on July 3.

        JULY

        1 Critical Mass: thousands of cyclists expected to descend on Edinburgh
        in bid to reclaim streets from traffic by cycling round the city en masse.

        2 Make Poverty History: centrepiece of anti-poverty demonstrations will
        see tens of thousands of people gather in Edinburgh wearing white
        armbands – the campaign symbol – and forming giant human chain around
        city centre.

        3 Alternative summit in Edinburgh to highlight "failed" policies of the
        G8 and alternatives on offer. Speakers include prominent authors, human
        rights activists, and trade unionists from around world.

        4 Blockade of the Faslane nuclear submarine base by groups including
        Dissent! and Trident Ploughshares.

        5 Fire beacons to be lit on the Ochil hills, as hillwalkers converge on
        summit from Perth and Stirling.

        6 Blockade of G8 meeting at Gleneagles is planned by some anarchist
        groups, while others aim simply to demonstrate outside.

        7 More demonstrations outside summit, including attempt by People's
        Golfing Association to hold a competition at Gleneagles.

        ###
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 1, 2005
          On 1 Apr 2005 at 3:29, Robert J. Matter wrote:

          > Speaking of Edinburgh there's going to be a massive Critical Mass ride
          > there July 1. Darn, wish I could be there for that.

          I suppose I should start thinking about what to do when these unwelcome
          and uninvited people invade the area.

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 1, 2005
            On 1 Apr 2005 at 10:42, David Hansen wrote:

            > > Speaking of Edinburgh there's going to be a massive Critical Mass ride
            > > there July 1. Darn, wish I could be there for that.
            >
            > I suppose I should start thinking about what to do when these unwelcome
            > and uninvited people invade the area.

            Oops. The unwelcome and uninvited people are, of course, those living
            in the lap of luxury at my expense in Gleagles Hotel. People who have
            been so "de-legitimised" that they hide away from the public behind
            massed ranks of police officers and seek to confine dissent to
            carefully stage managed areas.