Re: [CarFree] Digest Number 232

  • Karen Sandness
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
      CarFree@egroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:17:47 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: David Westerfeld <davidwesterfeld@...>
      > Subject: Re: MINIVAN OR SUV? (emissions)

      [snip]
      > It is true that all of the vehicles in the same
      > class meet the same emission standards -- but those
      > standards only cover the hydrocarbon (HC), carbon
      > monoxide (CO), and nitrogen (NOx) compounds. There is
      > no standard for carbon dioxide (CO2) which is an
      > important greenhouse gas.
      > In an ideal engine, all of the gasoline is burned
      > with oxygen to form water and carbon dioxide -- the
      > HC, NOx, and CO are the result of imperfections in the
      > process. Most of the effluents from a properly
      > running engine really are CO2 and water. As a result,
      > the amount of CO2 is directly proportional to the
      > amount of gasoline consumed.

      Some people have proposed hydrogen-fueled cars as a way of dealing with
      both petroleum shortages and CO2 emissions, because combustion of
      hydrogen produces "only" water vapor.

      Imagine what a steamy tropical mess our cities would be if we had the
      current number of cars emitting water vapor as exhaust. (I remember
      reading somewhere that levels of humidity in cities in the American
      Southwest have risen simply from all the people who insist on watering
      their property to maintain green lawns in the desert.) Ugh! Obviously
      someone hasn't thought this proposal through.

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness
    • Lanyon, Ryan
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
        Not that I'm a proponent of alternate fuels (they solve only minor
        problems), but I imagine that if the current fleet of vehicles in the world
        were all using hydrogen fuel, there would be a mechanism to capture this
        water when it is emitted. As water becomes 'commodified' in the global
        economy, I can't see it being wasted as vapour emissions, but instead a
        byproduct that can be used or resold.